Mountain Buzz banner

Tappan III update?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lmaciag 
#1 ·
Anyone have updated info/pics/video of Tappan III from this summer? I know it blew out & changed last summer, but would like an update on how it is this year after high water. We're doing a late season trip in September.
Thanks
KJ

#2 ·
We rolled through there last week at 3.5. I didn't think it was bad but I was kayaking. There was a large tongue river left that everyone in both rafting groups went down and most of the kayakers that was very smooth and easy, biggest part of that line was pulling to middle after about 100 yards at the bottom where there was a large rock. There was a log in the middle that was mostly under water but that you could see bobbing around as it went completely through a small wave that we wanted to avoid. There was also a raftable lines (from a kayakers perspective) that where harder on tongues from the right and center. Over all cleaner and easier then we expected/heard, it is probably still changing on a daily basis...

#3 ·
Not that it will help but about half way down this TR are some photos of Cove Creek.

Idahorivertime: Middle Fork 09

The flow was close to 4.5 feet. As with any blowout you have to beware of sharp rocks and trees in the debris field. That means rocks three inches under that you can usually slide over might not be such a good idea.

And I sure hope we can call this Cove Creek. There are enough Tappans. I love what the Tappan family did and they still have a bunch of Tappan references.

Tappan 2 and 3 are gone. This is a whole new animal. Thanks. [/end of naming rant]

#4 ·
Thats where we had our only flip a few weeks ago. It was 4.6ft or so. I watched 3 rafts go the right and all came very close to flipping, nailed the first one and gave him his first raft flip. I'd go left.

#6 ·
I was with Matt last week and was rowing a 15'er. Left was a relatively easy line, you had to pull right at the bottom, but wasn't difficult. We watched two duckies in the group in front of us run it. One made it right, the other went right over the rock/pourover on the left. Took a while, but they were able to paddle out of it and not flip. Guessing it is a rock now and not a pourover.

I had been told by a commercial guide that the right side eddy had been blown out and we would have to eddy left (from a report at higher water). That was not true. We were able to eddy out on the right and it was a fairly short and easy scout. The water above the rapid is a slow moving pool, so there is plenty of time to get left.

The tree was what really bothered me. Couldn't see it from above, but could from the scout. It was really bouncing around in there. It is parallel to the current but the left line pushes you even more left away from it (had to ship the left oar going through), so was pretty much out of play, but of course that could change or someone could botch their line.

FYI - Tappan II no longer exists.

Another thing to note -

Lake Creek is a big hit and unavoidable. Good idea to scout as you have to turn your boat left to line up for it after hitting a couple straight. It held me for about 5 seconds and I was rowing a heavy boat.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.