Mountain Buzz banner

Upstream of Ruby/Horsethief??

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TimmyHo 
#1 ·
i'm organizing a flatwater booze cruise for my teaching co-workers to celebrate the end of another school year, and had planned to float ruby/horsethief as a simple one-night overnight relaxed trip- the last week of may.
with flows undoubtedly exceeding 20K, im worried that we are going to put on and go so quickly through the run that we literally wont even have an overnight! can anyone give some good suggestions regarding either...

a) putting on higher than loma- what's upstream of that area??
b) good side hikes or areas to explore during the r/ht section?

thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Loma is where the River leaves the freeway, so upstream of Loma is flat (no canyon) and not-so-senic. You can put-in at Rimrock Adventures, about 5 miles upstream of Loma for a fee. even farther upstream is the Colorado River State Park, but if you launch that far above Loma, once you get into the canyon, campsites will be taken.

Many good hiking opportunities on N side of river. Mee Canyon, Rattlesnake Arches, and the big one down below blackrocks (can't remember name)...

I'd say launch at Loma, take your time, hike, drink, enjoy the float...

#3 ·
The main thing you need to worry about is beating the crowds. The fact that the water is high is great for making it down to Black Rocks at a a reasonable time. It can be a long day getting to BR in one windy day at lower water.

Be sure to go sign up for a camp first thing at the ramp, but be aware that not everyone does, and just because you signed up for it, doesn't mean it isn't already occupied.

I don't know what they charge, but rimrock seems to be well run. you can also rent a groover there and just return it full.

#4 ·
Horseshoes and Bocce ball

Might consider getting to camp early, set up camp, play horseshoes, bocce ball, hacky sack, lounge, drink, lounge some more, drink, lounge, drink, fall over, get up, drink, lounge, pass out, get up eat dinner, drink, lounge, drink, howl at the moon, etc.
Pretty sure you can get a campsite by 2:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon.
Horn

#5 ·
you're right...what the hell was i thinking? as if getting to camp and having hours to sit around and get stupid is a bad thing. clearly, i need to get out of this snow, away from the computer, and onto the river.

one more questions, though- it has been brought to my attention that there is a need to "sign up" for a campsite? how does this work? seems WAY to organized fora bunch of river runners...

#6 ·
there is a "sign-up sheet" of sorts at the Loma Boat ramp...enforced by the honor system...I've been screwed by some chump who motored right on by me and straight to the camp that I had requested. Two weeks ago I signed up for a lesser camp because nice camp was claimed, but nobody ever took nice camp... I get the feeling thats not uncommon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.