Mountain Buzz banner

Lake Creek wood

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jahve 
#1 ·
As the levels come down below 4' up at Lake - I would think that there are going to be more people up there. Just a update that there is a bunch of wood in the creek.

The log in upper part of NIMBY is still there and the normal line is blocked - same as the end of last year. It can be run far left. The Boof is still sweet - but it will go away soon after the level drops below 4'. The left side of the island has a log in sieve but you don't want to be there anyway!

There are 3 new this year river wide logs/strainers between NIMBY and the old Toster. 1 is easy to see but the other 2 are on corners where they are hard/impossible until it is to late to see them and eddie out. As the level drops below 4' (650 cfs) these will have to be portages as you will not be able to go over them.

The last couple of times we ran it (including Monday) you could go over them - kinda, but with less water they will be "death strainers". You can put in at the toster and avoid all 3.

Finally there is a log in the pyramid rapid just above the caldron. You can get around this log at 650 to 700 but as the water drops i doubt it.

Just be heads up these logs would be a problem for a lower water run if you don't know where they are.

I can't get them out until late Aug. So they will be there for the rest of the year.

Other than that one log above the Cauldron the bottom four are good to go.

The logs are there but I am going up again tonight for more!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
How would you recommend scouting NIMBY? Last time I was there it was a long time ago. I did it on the right hand bank. Super low-key, scurried along like a rat on a mission.

Is that the right way to do it? Do you know the landowners on either bank? Are they cool/not cool about scouting?

Thanks.

#3 ·
The river left is the bank to scout from - the log is about 1/3 down. From what I know the people on the river right do not want boaters on their land and the river left people are cool as long as you are quick.

#5 ·
I was thinking about going up and running Lake Creek this weekend, but mostly to run the upper and think about running the Cauldron. But now with all the wood, i don't know if it is worth it....not to mention, I have never done this creek. Do you think it is still worth the drive from Denver or should i just hit something else that is clean?

Usually i portage rapids with wood/strainers that could pose serious threat.

#6 ·
It looks like Lake is shooting up again. They must be pumpin. Also the foot guage is at the lowhead dam just above the caldron and it is always a good idea to see what she ie runnin.

I think lake is worth the drive and there will be a group of us up on Sunday. I would think we would run NIMBY down. If the level is super high we will run all the upper stuff and if it is lower we can fire some of the bottom 4. Also if you put in just past the red bed and breakfast spot you are just past the old toster and below all 3 logs.

There is also one more log that i did not mention between the paralyzer and caldron at higher flows it is a must walk but as the water is comming down you should be able to get under it.

IMO at 3.5' to 4' + is the biggest chance at a beatdown is in the caldron. Also your best chance at swimming up there is in one of the 2 campground holes - just know where they are and run both far left.

So Harv you in for a friday night or sunday run? Give me a call we are planning on going up both of these days about 4 pm or so. We are also leaving in about 10 min to get in a run tonight.

#7 ·
Well we made it up for a run at 850 cfs on friday night. WOW. Talk about huge, pushy whitewater! The water has been all over the place the last couple of days.

Also we are still only a group of 2 every day up there - running or hitching shuttle. If anyone wants to join us and has a car pm me as we are going to go up again sunday the 1st about 3-4pm - could be as late as 5 or 6 pm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.