Old 05-08-2011   #31
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Sorry, forgot something. Everyone from the Front Range sucks. Snowboarders are all skater punks, rafter guides are all chodes (especially Poudre guides) and Obama wants to ban Jesus and take your guns. All my favorite buzz topics weighed in on.

Pins and clips, Yeti coolers.

SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #32
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Where you at,San Pedro?Caye Caulker? I never really thought about it but Belize is a great spot for SUP;175 miles of calm breezy water inside the reef with snorkeling and fishing,and a lot of easy rivers with good wildlife viewing.Most people do a surf and turf/cayes and mainland,if you go inland to San Ignacio check out the Mopan right upstream of Xunantunich ruins. It always has water,right now it's probably real low,but has 2-3 ledges and waves with more water. It is super easy access right by the Western highway.If you go to Cockscomb Jaguar Sanctuary you could do South Stann Creek II maybe better in spots.There are caves you can paddle through I'd recommend Barton Creek Cave it is cheaper and not a clusterf#*k like the better but over used Caves Branch/Brown's Cave-yon.Just suggestions have fun.

Are they renting boards there now?

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #33
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

Originally Posted by mountainjah View Post
Either they are scared that If they try the pursuit they'll struggle with it..or they are not as confident in their own abilities within their chosen this case kayaking...kinda like the skiing vs.snowboarding debate...the enlightened mountain enthusiast realizes that it's not about the tool you use, it's all downhill under the influence of gravity...likewise, the enlightened river enthusiast realizes it's all about big smiles on the water....
SUP does have a place, and as it evolves more folks will give it a try. The guys doing it now will have a head start, just like in kayaking. But, the gear will make the difference if it makes it big time. Future SUP'ers are going to look back and laugh at the equipment (mark IV, Whitewater designs, Noah). But, only if it grabs the market share now to advance the equipment to that stage. The difference in kayaking is the bail factor and the cross over to surf and distance paddling. Both are easier and the potential market is vastly bigger.

The only three things holding back River SUP right now are; the crappy economy and no one have the extra income to try/ buy into anything new, he same thing is having a slowdown in gear advancement for paddler interface and EQ design, and three, geography we're in the Rockies (water is cold- life threading cold, too swift in the meltdown season, and too shallow and rocky in the fall). But, you what that didn't stop kayaking and it won't stop SUP. The total number of people doing it depends on the EQ and how easy is it to use and how comfortable are the people doing it.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #34
80442, Colorado
I've SUP all over the Hawaiian Islands, it's tolerated at certain breaks, and is banned at most, if you're Laird, Gerry or Larry B its ok, SUP on flatwater is an awesome alternative, the Snyders introduced "Striding Ages Ago" way before SUP took off, it's nothing new, I've personally witnessed guys dropping and sticking huge waterfalls out east, and have seen multiple people stride Gore without swimming! If you're having fun who gives a Fuck! It's not possible to run big water on a SUP unless you can lock your feet in some how, and that's a fact
mattyburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #35
steamboat, Colorado
It's great for those who can't kayak, are afraid to kayak, or just don't want to take the time to learn to kayak. It's like tubing. Obviously, a kayak is a much better craft to navigate rivers in.

However, anything that gets average-joe types more interested in rivers is probably a good thing.

Most people can stand up on a board, fall off, and swim to shore. Most people are afraid to flip in a kayak. There will probably be more SUPers in CO than kayakers in the next 5 years. It's like resort skiing compared to bc.

If you want to surf in CO, get behind a wakesurf boat. Ever seen any SUPers do this:

4ft boards would appear to be the way to go. Not sure how you get up on one in the river though. . .
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #36
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have to agree with you Adam... Thanks for letting me wakesurf with you last summer. It is pretty amazing!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #37
Moscow, Idaho
Not sure if it's lame, but it definitely looks like it's not the preferred craft for "California class III."

SUP South Silver Video - Huckin Huge Films
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #38
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by phlyingfish
Not sure if it's lame, but it definitely looks like it's not the preferred craft for "California class III."

mukunig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #39
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by phlyingfish View Post

wow. talk about terrible ideas. I love the SUP but that attempt is just ridiculous. Amazing it wasn't worse, when he's talking about gear development for SUP on this kinda stuff I think this is primarily PADDING. Props to the stones for givin 'er but I gotta say that falls mightily close to the Darwin Awards category.

As one of the few SUPers here in Bali we get plenty of angry ozzies trying to yell us off of waves. I surfed before I SUPed but after getting into it I haven't yet gone back to my regular boards. In the end it is more fun: more waves, longer rides, shorter lineups, longer sessions. I can't wait to bring it back to the river, but more like Bridges at 2.5' than Narrows at 4'. It's not a substitute for kayaking but just a different way to enjoy the river (or ocean, or lake or...)

I think the marketing is an interesting point. This is a unique crossover of two ENTIRELY different marketing worlds. The surfing world has done an amazing (horrifying?) job of promoting surfing lifestyle and image. The image is MUCH larger than the sport; The vast majority of what they sell is non-performance oriented apparel and accessories. Whitewater and river culture is not nearly as popular or publicized for various reasons (visibility, learning curve, cost of participation, gear specificity etc.) With SUP now crossing over between the two we are getting a lot of spill over of the over-hyped marketing of surfing into our nice little world of river culture. No one is making you look at the ads though...

what will be interesting to watch is the DROVES of people that will be taking to the class II stretches of rivers (think Filter Plant) and the shit they get themselves into. I bet you get someone taking photos at Mad Dog before long. Safe to say they won't be crowding your eddy in a class IV for a while...
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #40 doing the damn thing
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've probably spent the bulk of the last 7 years I've been stand up paddling defending it in some fashion or another, so I'm over that side. If you're into, great. If not, oh well. I will say the amount of play SUP is getting right now is pretty out of control.

As far as being a crappy way to get down a river, I couldn't agree more. Do I run rivers on SUP. Yulp. But I also tele, and we know thats about the crappiest way to get down a hill. I have zero plans on running the gnar and am more than ok with that.

So, if you live in CO and want to go have a crappy time on the rio, hit me up. The wife and I are always looking for more folks to paddle rivers with...

ACheateaux is offline   Reply With Quote