Old 05-07-2011   #11
Missoula, 59801
Paddling Since: 2002
There are some SUP videos at that make river sup look pretty sick...

TuckerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
SUPing is a blast! I have kayaked for years and it is the best way to make a class two river fun again! You can surf with it or just run the river. I was living in Denver and the Plate river that runs through the city has a little surf wave on it that you can surf long after all the kayaking is gone. I'm going to go SUP the Milk run today and it will be a blast! Also splatting rocks on a SUP is fun and requires tons of balance.

And they aren't 50lbs. The full plastic ones might be up to 40 but are awkward to carry. The inflatables aren't bad. I don't use a tether unless I'm surfing and I have it hooked to my rescue vest in-case I need to drop it. I would say to all, to give it a try it is more fun than you would think just looking at it.

lizblock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #13
fun hog
D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
As a long time guide and educator, it is very clear why people "dis" the pursuits of others'....

Either they are scared that If they try the pursuit they'll struggle with it..or they are not as confident in their own abilities within their chosen this case kayaking...kinda like the skiing vs.snowboarding debate...the enlightened mountain enthusiast realizes that it's not about the tool you use, it's all downhill under the influence of gravity...likewise, the enlightened river enthusiast realizes it's all about big smiles on the water....

Those that are haters must be asked what's got them so fired it because you could never do it? Is it because you feel devalued because the
sport gives more folks access to your perceived river
kingdom...why the hating y'all? I care that we all have safe times out there and the bottom line is to have fun...devaluing another's experience is a sign of insecurity and a lack of self lame away haters and then
maybe you should talk with someone....I meanwhile will be loving life (and sports) in all of the unique ways out there...
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #14
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by BLott
don't knock it 'til you've tried it...

i have two little kids, and so we do a lot of family-rafting...class II-ish multi days (San Juan, Green, etc).

it's a blast.

Edit to Add:
It must suck for you to have to drive a 50lb SUP board all the way back to NM then, eh AC? The things we do for our women (and their friends)....
Well yes that's what got me thinking about it. I do have this SUP on my car to take back to NM for someone... And I realized that something always struck me as odd about the whole thing. I'm sure it's a blast, but it's the sudden and rampant marketing that doesn't quite sit right. I'll be the first to say that however you want to be outside is perfect for you, but this one still seems a little pushed onto the market.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #15
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
It's like cross-country skiing. Good for flats, workouts, having a mellow and fun time but no one wants to see the media.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #16
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Agreed. It actually makes flatwater somewhat tolerable,and everyone likes a workout. A friend had one on a lodore trip once. It was an inflatable version(good for packing on rafts) that blew up pretty stiff. You can actually have fun in Island Park....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #17
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Its lame. We jedi mind tricked Jed into thinking he was having fun yesterday but it was all marketing....

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #18
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Yea, SUP is super l lame. Especially the inflatable ones that you can roll up and fly to Mexico with and surf for a few days.

I think I am really going to hate it on the upper c with my son, and it is going to really suck killing time down in BV or any other play park.

It sucks so much that I am going to sell my plastic one for a more portable inflatable, so if anybody wants to get into a lame sport and needs a super stable and durable board let me know, I am looking to get rid of my ocean kayak nalu.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #19
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Nice one Aesop

Originally Posted by tango View Post
shits weak
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #20
Bay Area, California
Paddling Since: 1998
well said, mountainjah!