Old 06-16-2015   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
What's SUP y'all

I would really love to start river whitewater SUP what I don't really know is what it's all about. Is it really hard? Do you get hurt a lot? Best board to start? Better than kayaking?(Doubt that is even possible) How do I even start? Advice for a beginner?

Keep calm and Kayak On
kayaklifeislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Get an inflatable. It's a great workout and makes class 2 challenging again. There is some risk of injury when running whitewater (I broke 3 ribs last summer in Browns), but overall it's pretty safe. Just make sure you use a quick release for your leash. Those ankle leashes like surfers use are a no go for the river.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Like Imyers said above, NEVER use an ankle and make sure its a quick release. Helmet, PFD, Shoes, Leash, Plastic or Fiberglass paddle (leave the carbon for ocean/lake), and I also do a combo knee/shin pad (my shins looked like I took a large cheese grater to them a month ago). Wider inflatable (32"+) and in the 9"-10"+ range, longer is faster but can be a pain on a smaller river. Be ready to swim!
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #4
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I love it!

I haven't even been in my kayak this season because I am having a great time on my boards. My advice is to take a lesson and/or join a club. We started a SUP program with Colorado Whitewater, but it isn't a good idea to jump on whitewater without some instruction.

Gear is important, so all of the advice given so far is great. I would wait until the water comes down a little and I don't even recommend a leash for first time SUPers on the river. If you have a strong group and you have selected a good stretch of river, then losing your board should not be an issue.

I will send you a PM and feel free to e-mail me with any questions. I LOVE to recruit new SUPers. It is fantastic and you might decide you like it better than kayaking. To me it was like giving up the skis for a snowboard. Just less stuff to deal with.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #5
Edwards, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We do class I-II river instruction tours on the upper CO!
Ldzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #6
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
If you've kayaked and can read the river, then grab the biggest board you can rent and take it down the nearest class II, you'll have a blast!
Riptilyaflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #7
Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I don't SUP, myself, but some of my friends do and I'd say this:
> You WILL swim, and in low volume water, you WILL "interact with the bottom" (sometimes quite forcefully), so dress accordingly. Good shoes, knee pads, helmet, neoprene (for padding), etc.
> Always go with folks who can assist (rescue) you, if needed.
> Quick-release leash.
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #8
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ark this weekend

I am heading to the Ark this weekend and will most likely do something beginner friendly. This is a big Colorado Whitewater weekend, so if you are not a member, maybe you should think about joining and get on the river with us.

Also, I can bring rental gear if necessary. I will be leading a beginner cruise. Its a great way to get some free instruction. You can e-mail me at if you want more info.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote