Old 05-15-2015   #61
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Hey Mike (or anyone else), I got an excellent deal on a brand new 6'11" RS yesterday. I have heard its the best board for surfing BV and Salida. I am pretty good at downriver SUP, but have no experience surfing. I'm wondering if I should try and learn on the River Surfer or maybe trade it on a Cobra before it gets beat up?... Seems like Paddlefest is the time to figure it out. I'm 5'7" 150 lbs. Any advice is appreciated.
Logan, the River Surfer will be great from a size/volume standpoint for you and performance standpoint. It has a bit of a longer learning curve than the Cobra or IRS, but I think you'll be fine. Don't be shy about getting out to the wave on your knees or stomach at first. See you at Paddlefest!

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015   #62
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Badfish MVP-S - Sharkskin vs. Inegra durability

Hi guys. Anyone have any input or experience with the durability of last year's MVP with sharkskin versus this year's inegra construction? I'm looking to add a MVP or Cobra to my quiver this week and I've found both this year's and last year's models for about the same money. The only differene appers to be sharkskin coating vs inegra construction. In addition to durability, any intel on the possible weight differece between the two years?

Unrelated, but has anyone tried to surf the Frisco play hole on either a 7'6" MVP or Cobra? It's not a very good wave, but it sure would be nice to have a surfable wave in the backyard.

Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #63
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I think I am going to pull the trigger this week and get the IRS. Got to see one up close in Golden on sunday, and it looks pretty sweet.

I am probably going to buy it from Alpine Quest in Edwards but if anyone knows of somewhere near Fort Collins, I am headed there friday for a swift water class, might be easier. Not a lot of places carry the IRS.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #64
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
Late to the party. Feel free to email me for more info.

The IRS is a high volume board. I don't know the volume I need to figure it out. My friend G-mo has been riding it at 240. But my son loves it too and he weighs 105 because it's light. Inflatables don't turn on the rail like a surf board they basically just turn on the fins. That said I have been really stoked with how the IRS surfs. I am 165 and I can paddle it down class II.

The Cobra was designed to make smaller waves more fun especially for bigger guys but again I'm only 165 and I mostly ride the Cobra anymore. It is also high volume. I have that number in my computer I could post it tomorrow. For me it alows me to spin and do tricks more easily than any board ever.

The river surfers are a more traditional shape. I ride the 8'0 mostly when the water is up. My partner Zack almost exclusively rides the 6'11. At your size I would think the 8'0 would be a better choice but only really during higher flows. The Cobra or IRS would be fun for the rest of the season.

The comments about not having a surf board feel are interesting...that's kind of the whole point. If traditional surf shapes worked well on the river we never would have started shaping boards 8 years ago. Most river waves are so much smaller and less powerful than even small ocean surf and the mechanism of surfing is very different. Our boards are designed for the type of surfing most people have access to for most of the season. When Glenwood is over 20k or Pipeline or some flood stage wave on the front range you can plane out on almost any board. We've been trying to help people extend the river surfing season.

i won't be in Golden this weekend, going to the grand opening in Montrose but some of our team guys will have IRS's to demo. Thanks.
Hi Mike!
I am in the market for an IRS and saw a couple at Golden Games last weekend. Curious why some have more rocker then others? Factory defect? What is correct rocker profile?
Old 05-21-2015   #65
Ordered IRS from CKS yesterday around noon, got here today around noon. SUPER FAST!

Looks like camber is correct too, and not banana shaped like some out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	901.1 KB
ID:	9929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3177.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	919.0 KB
ID:	9930