Old 09-18-2009   #1
Westwater Stand Up

Seth had a vision to take a few days off mid week and rally a crew to Westwater on the Colorado River for some stand up paddling. Great crew, great water, great weather.

Hobie gettin er done

Seth in Skull

The best paddle out( or lack of ) ever

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #2
Here is a great "worse case scenario" of Matt. He was fine and got right back up for more...........

Old 09-20-2009   #3
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I can't tell, what rapid is that on the last video?
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #4
I think they call it Little Hummer, just after the first big long rapid ( Marble) in the canyon
Old 09-20-2009   #5
B.V., Colorado
Was he going for the kickflip off that pourover?-sick. Looked like it gave him a chunder...or two,couldn't tell from the short clip
"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #6
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

It looks easy and everyone will love it. Or, you should grab a glass boat and master that first. At least they're falling in deep water, could you imagine falling in the Ark at 700 cfs. I would rather dive onto my driveway (dry). Less damage. You're funding one guys hobby, it's the best thing for our sport. Mountainbuzz will soon be SUPbuzz. Just kiding. Just egging on the vocal 1%. Why didn't Striding take off, guys are running Class V doing that?
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #7
It is not that hard and most everyone who tries it loves it. We had 11 Stand Up Paddlers on this trip ( 9 of which are long time kayakers too ) then 2 new surfer/paddlers that were on the river for the first time and did great, and had a blast.

Deep or shallow water is fine either way. You can use different size fins ( smaller for shallow runs ) or no fins at all and run rivers below 300 cfs just like in a plastic kayak.

These boards are designed specifically to stand on. Striding is standing up on a SIT down inflatable kayak. Not as fun.

Fun and safe is the key, SUP can be both, but surely not for everyone.
Old 09-21-2009   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I still don't get it...I can understand surfing the Glenwood hole, but what's the point of eating shit all the way down the river? At least striders can boof. And tubers make it look better, and they have a halfway decent chance of getting through a class 3 rapid still attached to their vessel.
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #9

I remember when snowboarding was brand new. People were falling , eating it, and boarding was not allowed at any ski resort in the US. Then with time, folks got better, way better, so did the equipment and it soon became mainstream and now is a huge, huge industry.

The goal of kayaking is to run lines right side up, but sometimes you go over and have to roll up. And some times you swim. We all have.

With stand up paddling it is the same goal. Try to stay on your board, you may fall down, but get back up, if you swim hop back on and keep paddling.

There are runs you can do all day with out fallilng, just like there are kayak runs you can do with out going upside down and having to roll.

It was super cool to watch stand up paddlers in Westwater make it through rapids successfully, meaning not falling. Every rapid was done clean by some, except Sock it to me. That one is tricky.

We all had fun, that is the key to a good day of paddling
Old 09-21-2009   #10
Were you guys camped at black rocks on Friday night? We saw a lot of the stand up boards going back and forth, we were at #6.

sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote