Old 09-21-2009   #11
Nope, the ranger did say there are a lot more stand up paddlers on Ruby and Westwater each month.

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #12
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
Any of you SUPer's want to go run the black canyon next weekend? If not, maybe we can just wait till next spring and go run the Source, USB, or SSV. LOL

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #13
I'm a real kayaker yes I'm a real kayaker all you other kayakers are just imitating so won't the real kayakers please sit down, please sit down, please sit down.

Innertubing, supping, canoeing, and rafting are all super great ways to get out on the river and float through some great scenery. Kayaking is superior to all of these craft when it comes to running anything harder than class IV. Kayakers can explore further, harder, more quickly, and with more safety than any other craft on the water. With the current decline of our sport I guess we won't have to worry about overcrowding on anything more difficult than Westy. SUP on Westy seems fun. So does a pool toy, and I'm sure your lines and flip rate would improve on either craft with just a little practice. Have fun.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #14
Until someone SUPs Metlako I'm gonna have to give innertubes a slight edge in the tubes vs. SUP debate.

SUP looks pretty fun but I guarantee I won't be buying a $1500 board to make class II interesting. I might rent one once to take down Westy or surf the Glenwood wave but I don't see the allure of doing it all the time. Nothing against those who enjoy SUPing I just don't think it's in my future. I can make class IV interesting in my creekboat by trying to catch more eddies and hit cool ferries.

If SUP takes off and becomes a mainstream sport I'm going to write a case study that I will sell to business schools entitled "How one declining active sports industry developed an entire new sport to stop declining participation and sales." Title needs work but I'm very curious to see how this experiment pans out for the industry.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #15
Cutch.... Nick W would know the feasability of conversion rates of ex kayakers, now tubers ,staying upright in rapids on class 4 and above........

Whitewater Tubing:: Tube Rentals and Sales in Boulder, Colorado

I think the jist of this is a new paddling option for folks to try. Not a replacement of kayaking, but I love your rap song....... You could be the new Weird Al........Earl
Old 09-21-2009   #16
Boulder, Colorado
How the hell do they sell those things for $1500? Is there something super special about those boards, isn't it just foam and plastic?

I think I will go with the $5 innertube and maybe if I want to go high class, get a second tube to hold my cooler full of busch heavy.

In that last video it also look like the most dangerous aspect of the sport almost became a reality, having a rope tied to you and having the board and you go on opposite sides of a rock seems like a recipe for disaster.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #17
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
Cutch - I'm in tears right now. hahaha. We've got one on you, though - we are real kayakers AND real paddle-boarders... that give us one more notch to being real "paddlers" hahaha... (am I stirring the pot yet?)

To answer the other question: I wish I could do a kick-flip off a pour-over... I was trying to boof the right corner, but ate S#$t before getting to the lip... I haven't bee re-circed in a while... good to experience that one without a kayak in there with me. hahaha.

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #18
Leadvillian, Colorado
Originally Posted by bvwp1 View Post
Here is a great "worse case scenario" of Matt. He was fine and got right back up for more...........
I dunno that the fact that he very fortunately face planted just to the side of the pourover and not right on top of it constitutes worse case scenario.

I might even call that best case scenario seeing as he didn't break his face on the rock and came out of the hole.

I wouldn't be one to discourage an activity just because there's the possibility of breaking one's face, but I do a little surfing in the sea and come off the board in lots of ways I wouldn't want to in the river.

That being said, my wife and I were down at the beach a few months ago and a huge swell was in and there were some guys on sup's killing it.

Strange the amount of hype this "new" sport has been generating. It's like every enthusiast right now is hawking some accessories. I think the difference with snowboarding and some other spin-offs is that usually people want to protect it like a "secret spot."

You guys seem to be taking more of an Amway approach.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #19
All I know is that we SUP'ed Westwater several weeks before Earl's most recent trip and it was one of the most fun times I've had on that run. Everyone wanted to be on the boards. It was very challenging for me through the main rapids and i swam a lot.

SUP will never replace kayaking for me and my goal with it is not to run hard class 4 or 5 but just to have fun in a different way in an element I love to be on - the river.

The sport is dangerous in terms of falling on rocks from a height - be careful, I have definitely gotten banged up here and there. Matts coulda beat the hell out of his face with inches of difference.

I'm pretty perplexed by people comparing it to roller- or snowler- blading....those are lame, dorky sports. SUP is the origins surfing, the roots and of pretty much every cool outdoor sport we do.

And I have never seen any SUP'er say it's 'better' than kayaking or anything - they are not really comparable beyond that they are on the river - which is what it's all about.
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #20
Just like kayaking, we are all kayakers here right , it can be dangerous but you prepare for that in advance.

Leash- attached to a qr belt on a rescue vest for easy releasing.

Helmet- Of course, you can wear a face mask too as many kayakers do, but no need if you are running moderate water.

Padding- Sure why not. As kayakers, we wear elbow, shoulder, compression pads etc... You can do the same with SUP if you feel fit. Wetsuits help with padding a lot.

Groups- Paddle with a group so you can watch out for one another.

Ability- Stay within your ability level and paddling is safe and fun

I agree with Meng, no one is saying SUP is replacing kayaking. But man is it fun. I kayaked 80 plus days this year and SUP about 40. I personally had a lot more fun on the SUP. But I did keep it on falt water, class 1, class 2 and class 3. Westwater and Brown's being the biggest runs. That is plenty hard for me for now. But folks will push it for sure.

I am now stand up paddling more with my older kayaking friends, than I am kayaking now with my kayaking friends......Many seem to have the same interest.

Anyhow good fun..........