Old 03-14-2014   #1
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
SUP paddle

Looking to buy a SUP paddle for my teenage kids. Given it's expected trauma level I do not want to spend the cash on a Werner as it will find lots of rocks, etc.

Should I go aluminum or fiberglass shaft? Priced about the same.

My kids love the SUPs so much that now they hate being in the raft which greatly decreases the complaining thus increases my enjoyment level.

fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I have a BIC paddle similar to this one: SUP Paddle 150-190 Alu S : buy a BIC surfboard - It's heavy, but can take beating and it's cheap. You could probably find one used too.

I also have one of these Kialoa paddles: Pupu $159 - Outrigger, dragon boat, and stand up paddle maker, Kialoa. KIALOA Paddles it's my go-to all around paddle that has proven to be extremely durable, and not too heavy. It's actually more durable than my girlfriend's Werner Stinger.

benjamin_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I would say go with the Accent Max FX glass. Its cheap enough that you are not breaking the bank and it is stong enough that you aren't just throwing money away. Tons of people use them for surfing on the Ark and they are pretty durable for rock hits.
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #4
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
+1 on the Kialoa. they are bomber. i love the adjusting mechanism on the Pupu adjustable (which i assuem you need with various kids)., Little heavier than my Werner, but nice blade size and pull.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #5
SW Colo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I have the werner spanker, It weighs 20 OZ, I have had to fix it twice. I had to add carbon cloth and a strip of fiberglas to the end of the tip to make it rock resistant. I would do that again because the right paddle shape and weight are what make it go.

we also have the werner with the colored blade, those blades are fiberglass and more rock resistant than carbon, but heavier, and the paddle shape is wrong.

My son has an atx. its made of heavy carbon, but it cost less.

the adjustable is god for growing kids.
martystecher is offline   Reply With Quote