Old 07-18-2013   #1
Conifer, Colorado
New Guy

Hey Everyone, I have been lurking here and finally pulled the trigger on a board. I just picked up a SUPercharger last week and I love it. I have only been on flat water so far but I am going to try to get out in Golden here soon and hopefully get dialed in so next year I will be able to take advantage of spring flows.

I live in Conifer, above Denver and I am really looking forward to the SUP adventure.

Warejn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #2
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Welcome lurker! I have a Supercharger as well. I have found the Golden playpark to be very unforgiving. Low water will make it worse. We ran the Salida park to Salida East a few times and it was great for a first time out. Are you a kayaker? Any whitewater experience?

We are looking for other people to SUP with. I will be posting here and the CW SUP forum. Trying to put a trip together this weekend. Feel free to PM me as well. Thinking about Glenwood as a possibility. Let me know if you are interested. The Ark is a maybe as well.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #3
Conifer, Colorado
Yep, Golden is rough for sure. That is one of the reasons I got the supercharger. I don't have to worry about hitting rocks and low water. I have already beat myself up there a few times.

In college my roommates were creek boaters. I went out with them a bit, mostly swimming and getting slightly concussed on the stupid little ribbons of water they ran. It was a good time. Fast forward a few years and I bought a Mad River Teton. It's out fitted and my wife and I have put a few hundred miles on it. The last big trip was 110 miles on the Current river during high water. It ended up wrapped in a horrible strainer, popped loose with a z-rig and still paddling it today. I also have a few Westwater trips on a raft, only on the oars for simple wave trains ( for some reason my buddy had faith I would not swamp it).

I am really looking forward to starting to paddle the Supercharger on some good adventures. I am out this weekend because I get off work Sunday morning. I would really like to get together with others and learn how to really use this thing.
Warejn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
How is Golden for surfable waves? I've been surfing up in Lyons for the past month on surprisingly small waves at low flows and it's been a blast!

I'm curious, how does the waves in Golden compare to the Blackbear and October holes in Lyons?
benjamin_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #5
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Golden waves are no bueno, really. Too shallow under the tongue and you'll get some board abuse. At this flow all I like to do is practice catching & peeling outta eddies at the Clear Creek Playpark.
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #6
Hey Warejn,

Everyone getting into SUP is just figuring it out. Your board is a great choice for running some rivers, Elfing and some bone zone river wave surfing.

I think the season for SUP is still going on. Upper Colorado, South Platte, Shoshone, Lower Blue, low water Arkansas. We still have many months left of fun and beautiful Colorado scenery.

Mellow surf waves and river flat water can be found on the front range year round. They are not Glenwood or BV great waves, but convenient and a chance to get out on your board.

Ben - re:Surfing at Golden. It depends on your board. I thought the library wave @ 300 was comparable to the black bear hole top wave @ 300. The library wave is pretty good between 300 and 500 cfs, more water is more better. I had fun there a couple weeks ago at 260 cfs, not sure how good it is now @ lower flows and dropping. When i was kayaking it was something to do and kind fun all the way to 70 cfs. A fun aspect of river surfing low water waves at Golden is the tuber side step move. Not much abuse if You park at the library, but otherwise yes lots of board abuse. Don't notice the abuse when I am on the wave.

Seems Lyons has more water now and would be a better choice if it is closer. I might drive up this week.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Here's my attempt at surfing the Library Hole today!

Old 07-26-2013   #8

Is that video from yesterday?

I went out there yesterday, to see if it was still surfable. First drove up to the competition hole and there were 2 SUP enthusiasts at the hole. One was struggling to ride the hole, the other getting on the wave and surfing pretty much every time on his HALA inflatable board, surfing the hole and some of the right side wave sweet spot. At 300 to 550 cfs, for me, this top hole/wave was doable but a lot of work, i.e. knees way bent and using the paddle all the time. It is way easier now and not quite as much work @ 200cfs, I had no problem riding this wave/hole yesterday with either board.

Next - down to library wave. Started out on my custom low volume short SUP and could not get on the wave. Broke out the MVP 7'6", no problem getting on the wave, but small face and have to be pretty gentle or you get kicked out. Really just good practice on getting on a difficult small wave at this volume.

I think the supercharger should be able to surf that top hole and maybe get on the library wave. Yesterday was great because the afternoon rains kept the tubers down to zero .

I do not know any tricks at this point, so for me the action is to get on different waves and be able to front surf for a while. Generally, after you are on the wave - it is pretty easy to straight up front surf. Being able to move from one side of the wave is a more advanced skill and may get you pushed off the wave.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Yep, that was from yesterday afternoon/evening.

Which hole is the competition hole? I'm still learning the names of all the holes at the various parks.

We walked along the park and checked out all the waves. Everything except the Library wave looked super boney to me (ie... not enough water to get a full paddle in front of the foam piles). Although if you say it's still doable, I'll give the others a shot next time I head down there!

I think a supercharger or anything shorter would surf the Library wave just fine. My 10'6" B1 felt like it was just a foot to long to easily surf the library wave without perling constantly.

I'm interested to see how the Library wave look as the flows decrease. If the foam file was a couple feet further forward, I think I could surf it on a long board no problem.
Old 07-26-2013   #10
Denver, Colorado
Interested in getting out with more SUPers as well!

Have a supercharger as well. Taken down it down the grand, arkansas, clear creek, upper colorado and the poudre. Will do anything up to a low class 4.

The problem with the Golden holes is that the supercharger is a longer board making it more difficult to keep the nose up, but both holes are still surfable. Pretty easy to enter the top hole from both the left and right. There is plenty of time to recover in low water (and high), but if you don't fully recover in time to catch the eddy, practice dropping into the bottom hole and staying on your board. Then just walk back up.

Onenomad is offline   Reply With Quote