Old 03-02-2015   #41
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I had a buddy drown about 5 years ago. Got caught in a bad re-circulating hole/ corner of a bend in the river (class V run). When he was pulled out, water was found to have largely filled his bib/drytop combo. I could only think this may have been a contributing factor to not being able to exit the hole, and ponied up for the $1000 GMER as a piece of safety equipment that would easily last 10 - 20 years.

On the other hand, I lent my old bib combo to a friend when we ran Royal Gorge in the snow. He swam the run-out from sunshine and the bib pants protecting him from the slushy water just might have been a life saver.

You just never know...

SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #42
north little rock, Arkansas
Originally Posted by mrcdbrown3 View Post
Where is the gear swap?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Which one? There's one on here and there's one on Boatertalk, not to mention many on local paddling club message boards. There's also NRS's gear swap page, fleabay and Kayak Academy's web site. All are potential sources for a good deal.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #43
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by mrcdbrown3 View Post
Where is the gear swap?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Top right of the page. 4th tab from the left. Says "swap".
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #44
Central Ark, Arkansas
Though if you are using the Tapatalk app or the Mountain Buzz app then you won't see the Swap area. Try using a regular browser instead of the apps.
eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #45
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

SKeen, sorry to learn about your buddy. I'm no longer sure about that theory regarding bibs/waders/drysuits filling up causing river drag on humans. I did some work this past year with some science folks doing research on this topic for the Government (researching how waders might cause drownings). As simple as I explain it is that water doesn't have an effect on water weight while it is in it. You will notice a big effect when you try to lift it above the surface area, but while it's in the water it is neutral. When I saw the data I was shocked, but they did a huge amount testing.

As for drysuits I have been wearing the Level 6 Emperor for the last couple of years and it is awesome for the price. It has about every feature you can throw into a drysuit and it's built serious for a great price. I'm stoked on mine.

Drysuits | Level Six
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #46
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Just picked up a Level Six for myself. Great suit, bomber construction, great fit and great price. On top of that, it was made in North America for the win! Just north of our border, but a lot closer then made in China!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #47
Portland, Oregon
Try to think of all your boating gear as part of your safety kit. It is always nice to be prepared for anything.

I have an Immersion Research double d from a few years ago that is awesome. My only complaint is the legs are a bit baggy, just wish there was a little less fabric.

Right now they have three models and stuff from last year on the sale page.

There is also Mythic Gear.

m.r.h. is offline   Reply With Quote