Old 07-26-2013   #21
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1992
Love this thread.
Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice those Z-drags. When you get in those situations things are chaotic, the river is noisy, and people's adrenaline is up. Nothing better to just know what you are doing and rely on the muscle memory to get down river.
They have the potential to save you a lot of money. I used to think that the swift-water rescue courses were so expensive, but the little things you learn can save you so much time and hassle. Like rigging with multiple points and how to equalize the tension. I could go on about how important they are, but get in a swiftwater course ASAP!
Has anyone used the Black Diamond Magnetron carabiner on the water? I am really curious how they would hold up.
I would recommend a 200ft. static line on most of the larger rivers. Aren't rescue kits starting to show up in river regs?

Utah Whitewater Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #22
Seattle, Washington
I have two kits. The normal everyday kit is 70' 3/8 spectra, 3 locking biners, smc prussik minding pulley, 2 ultrageres, 2 tiblocs, 20' webbing. 2 spectra slings.

I prefer slings because they are stronger than prussiks. They require one use a klemheist instead of a prussik (sling vs cord is why). But, the advantage is you don't need to size prussik loops to the diameter of your haul line.

My V raft kit steps to 40' webbing, 2" bluewater pulleys (3) and 200' 9mm static line. plus extra biners and slings. I also like to use a ropeman ascender in place of a brake prussik on this kit.

practice practice practice! I like to rig z-drags for the man line of my tarps to stay in practice.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #23
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Swiftwater Rescue

If anyone is looking for a swiftwater class....

Sawatch Rescue is offering Rescue 3 International and ACA private boater and river guide specific swiftwater rescue courses.

Each having more than 25 years of river rescue experience, our Instructors specialize in teaching rescuers to operate safely in high-risk environments. The courses we teach are developed and certified by the global leaders in swiftwater rescue.

Our comprehensive rescue courses put the emphasis on identifying risks, self rescue and low-risk options for self rescue and rescuing others. We offer competitive pricing and exceptional customer service.

We are currently taking reservations for the following course:

• Sept 3rd, 4th, 5th 2013 Whitewater Rescue Technician / Swiftwater Rescue Technician – Unit 1, hosted by Whitewater Rafting LLC, Glenwood Springs, Colorado

The course dates and information are also available at: Rescue 3 International.

For questions, additional information or to reserve your space on a course, email us at or call at 719-221-6716

Please contact us with any questions!
Sawatch Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #24
fairplay, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Remember: static stays, dynamic doesn't. Bow lines and throw bags are dynamic and therefore stretch... a lot. I recently bought the NRS kit and got to use it on the first trip I brought it on. My buddy TA pinned his boat on Lucifer rock in Hells Half Mile on the Gates of Ladore, and it was STUCK! I set up the z-drag and it still took 4 people pulling really hard to free the boat. The NRS kit worked great, it had everything I needed, including 150' of static rope. You might save a little money buying the pieces but is it worth the time?
Wavetrain024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #25
Park City, Utah
I have a couple different sized slings, one small enough to use as a seat harness (about 7' of webbing), a couple others that are twice that. I have used the harness in an emergency evac. Prussiks slip, so i have experimented with klemheist knots and i have recently added petzl tiblocs to my kit. I like the klemheist more than a prussik for bite. Other items have been discussed (long rope, pulleys, etc).
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013   #26
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Resurrecting this for some questions and comments below.

My kayaking kit includes throwbag, 3 SMC pulleys, 4 locking Petzl biners, 3 5 or 6mm Prussiks, a 10mm Wild Country cordelette (400cm), and two 12mm Black Diamond dyneema slings (120 & 240cm). I keep this stuff in my rescue PFD or in a Nalgene bottle in my boat and have used it all more than once. Once on the Pemigewasset, in a very wide section we wished we had a very long piece of webbing since even the cordelette was too small for the rock anchors and all the trees on shore were a very long way away.

I've always been told that Jumars and other mechanical devices will fail well under the 15-22 kN load ratings for the rest of the system but have never personally used them.

Anyway, now that I'm buying a raft and joining this group I plan to add a static rope and another webbing anchor. Assuming you're the only rafter supporting some kayakers, where do you keep the kit esp the longer static line, so that you can get to it if it's your boat that's wrapped? I'm thinking any kayaking group I'm schlepping their kit down the river will be carrying a couple of pin kits and at least one other long rope.

Can you use static rope for your bow and stern lines, and therefore maybe have more chances to get to something when it's wrapped, or is that a poor trade off for their main function with knot tying?

Thank for advice

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote