Yeti vrs. Ozark Trail cups - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2016   #1

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Yeti vrs. Ozark Trail cups

Iím probably the last to notice, but Walmart is selling an insulated (vacuum) cup just like the Yetiís in the 20 and 30 oz. sizes under the Ozark Trail name. The lids even interchange between both brands. Both made in china. I bought one to compare to my Yeti. It compares extremely well! The difference is Walmart brand 20 oz. under $8, 30 oz. under $10.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-30-Ounce-Double-Wall-Vacuum-Sealed-Tumbler/49772708
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-20-Ounce-Double-Wall-Vacuum-Sealed-Tumbler/49772705
Comes with a lifetime warranty.
Disclaimer: I do not have a dog in this fight, just ranting a little over what I spent on my Yeti cup.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
You might be a little late to the party, but at least you showed up. There are a few comparisons, this one is the one that convinced me...

I too had wasted money on the yeti before finding the Ozark trail. We have been using both side by side with no noticeable difference all summer.

One of the rare times when Ozark trail steps up and isn't the definition of Walmart fall apart.
Old 08-16-2016   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Gotta love Chinese manufacturing, no such thing as exclusivity or much care for US patents in their manufacturing. Once they have the plans and equipment, no qualms about cranking out clones. I do know that one of the small differences between Yeti and RTIC/Ozark/etc is that Yetis have a copper liner inside of the vacuum chamber, which supposedly helps mitigate thermal transfer ever so slightly more than a standard vacuum. Or so I was told by my Yeti rep.

That said, I don't think anyone is surprised that Yeti is an overpriced boutique brand (even if you can get them at ACE hardware now), and you're paying for name recognition more than anything else.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #4

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
shocking

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Well, Rats!!!!!!

I have been known to shop WalMart but not that often, usually for some grocery item.
However, I am well known at the local Ace Hardware Stores. Noticed the big Yeti maybe last Christmas at ACE and since I am a big time tea drinker, paid up for the big Yeti cup. And, with Oklahoma heat at or above 100 degrees for a couple months, have been super pleased with it. My wife saw my Yeti Tea cooler cup and wanted the smaller one for her use, so I purchased that unit as well.

Maybe I should check out WalMart before spending the big bucks for products probably made in the same factory in China for the US market.

I am happy with the Yeti but not too happy with being ripped off price wise by Yeti and my favorite hardware store. (all the old time locally owned hardware stores that I used to use have been replaced by big box operations)

Sign of the times, in that it is all spin these days even for stainless steel cups!!!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #6

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
video is a bit cheesy, but no copper inside

Old 08-17-2016   #7

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Better home tests of the cups

Old 08-17-2016   #8

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
video is a bit cheesy, but no copper inside

Check out the 7:00 mark after he takes the cutoff saw to it, looks copper jacketed to me.
Old 08-17-2016   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Regardless - seems like a waste of copper to me. They don't work any better than their competitors - pointless waste's of money. Go Ozark or go Home!
Old 08-17-2016   #10

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Regardless - seems like a waste of copper to me. They don't work any better than their competitors - pointless waste's of money. Go Ozark or go Home!
No disagreement from me, except for the Ozark part, fuck Walmart.

Tags
ark