Worst deals out there. - Page 60 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-25-2014   #591

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevko View Post
River Raft 1982 Achillies 9 Person | eBay

$1,600 for a 32 years old, albeit unused, 10' bucket boat. I'm wondering if the pics are that old as well…...
The pictures do look old, but that boat is bigger than 10', and the motor is worth at least $800.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014   #592

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
[When someone sells a raft, it seems common to hear them brag about how many times that raft's been down the Grand, the Middle Fork at high water, has tons of San Juan, Deso, low water Lodore trips, and so on.

Just sayin'

-AH[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought. I think it is because if someone is taking their raft out on multiday trips on a regular basis they have a vested interest in the proper care and storage of that boat. If they don't raft regularly, who knows how the boat is cared for and stored.

Many of us, and I bet most of the buzzards here, are fairly anal about our gear. Probably make an unconscious association that lots of trips = proper care and storage (which may or may not be a good assumption).

I know when I bought my used raft, the fact the guy boated a ton made a huge difference. I could tell he was anal with his gear and it showed in the raft.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014   #593

Steamboat, Colorado
So, now, what about in this situation? The fact that it's described as "completely refurbished...."
To me, this implies that the raft has been beat to shit and he's had to invest a bit in it to get it back into selling condition.
Old 11-25-2014   #594

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
So, now, what about in this situation? The fact that it's described as "completely refurbished...."
To me, this implies that the raft has been beat to shit and he's had to invest a bit in it to get it back into selling condition.
I agree completely! Fully restored, refurbished, rebuilt, new paint, etc. etc... = worn out POS that the seller is tired of fixing unless maybe it's a classic car, boat, bike or something. Anything made of rubber or plastic can only get shittier with age!

The "experienced" boat story must work though, cause almost everyone does it! Along that line, boaters are notoriously superstitous folks so maybe alot has to do with "if it treated the PO good, it will treat me good"... A kind of humanizing many of us do...I know I get attached to my stuff, boats and cars especially and when I sell them I want them to go to good homes...how stupid is that!
Old 11-25-2014   #595

Steamboat, Colorado
Hahaha! This is exactly why I won't ever sell my jeep. The ad would look something like this:

1989 Jeep Cherokee 2door sport for sale. This baby has 25 years of awesome driving under its belt. New clutch and slave cylinder, new radio and speakers, new radiator, new snow tires, recently aligned and lubed . Needs new fuse box, windshield, rear wiper needs work, missing the rear hatch key lock, but if you put your fingers in the hole and jiggle the thingy around a bit you can still open the door and lock it ! The heater runs a little cold, driver's side door is sticky in the winter. 243,000 miles- all highway!

$8500 firm. Serious inquiries only, fuckers!
Old 11-25-2014   #596

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
The pictures do look old, but that boat is bigger than 10', and the motor is worth at least $800.
Nah, $350 max for an old evinrude 2hp, and you better say what year it is, take a better picture, and tell me whether it runs or not. On Ebay, if it doesn't say that it works, assume that it's broke.

You can order a brand new 2.3hp Honda 4 stroke with 5 yr warranty for $950.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #597

watertown, New York
Paddling Since: 2008
Whitewater Kayak, Nearly New
. Here's a not so great deal but better then some I've seen
steeldrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #598

Lost Almost, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2002
At last, truth in advertising: Perception Kayak
utidcapaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014   #599

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Worst Deals Out There": A 14 ft chinese inflatable raft for more than $280 US. Call-em what they are. "The revenge of Alibaba". They don't need no stinking US dealers any more. You can buy direct from your future taskmasters.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015   #600

Steamboat, Colorado
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Pyranha Sub 6 200 Kayak w/ Werner paddle and gear

I think I just peed my pants...