Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardusius View Post
Wow - this one has twarts AND ores!
Maxon 12' self bailing raft with row frame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebo View Post
Sotar II self-bailing raft

Someone sure thinks sotars hold their value. Only twenty five years on the river and still worth four grand?? Or ya could be close to owning a 2014 model at the spring sale
Scratching my head. Are there really people out there that will pay those prices for used rafts? I REALLY haven't been asking enough for the ones I've sold lately.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014   #442
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Wow that's like two towns away from me. Yes, way too much, by about double. This is where I see boats like the RMR spoil the prices of the higher end boats in the used market. You can walk into most boat retailers and buy a good boat that size for about 2500 bucks. Why would anyone spend that much on a 20 year old boat when you could buy a new boat with warranty? I could see maybe 2 grand for that boat, but not 74% the cost of a new 14 foot Sotar.
Old 03-05-2014   #443
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
New in box(NIB) Sevylor raft,canoe,kayak,paddle,pump Too many deals here to mention! Save yourself a trip to Walmart!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014   #444
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
We have another contender

14' Sotar cataraft, frame, and trailer

That looks to be 80% of retail for the setup...
Old 03-05-2014   #445
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Buying Used is a Risk!

Ok there are 45 pages of bad deals and I think we're just scratching the surface. What is it with these people? Am I wrong to suggest that when you drive it off the lot it looses 35-40% of it's value? Don't the realize that it is a risk to buy used? You take a risk just to drive 60 miles to take a look. It has to be a great deal or it will be better to buy new and warranted from a trusted dealer. I look at the classifieds here on the Buzz and I look at the price the same item would cost new and I just walk on by.

I know what I have invested in my boat but I know if I were ever to sell it I wouldn't expect to recover more than 25-30% at best.

Perhaps some of these prices are set so high because they expect to be talked down and they want the room to negotiate but by starting too high they just scare everyone off or worse open themselves up to ridicule by the buzzards.
Old 03-05-2014   #446

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
14' Sotar cataraft, frame, and trailer

That looks to be 80% of retail for the setup...
Quote:
14' Sotar cataraft, frame, and trailer - $5500 (bend)
Bend is more expensive to live in.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #447

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
... open themselves up to ridicule by the buzzards.

What doesn't open you up to ridicule by buzzards?
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #448

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Ok there are 45 pages of bad deals and I think we're just scratching the surface. What is it with these people? Am I wrong to suggest that when you drive it off the lot it looses 35-40% of it's value? Don't the realize that it is a risk to buy used? You take a risk just to drive 60 miles to take a look. It has to be a great deal or it will be better to buy new and warranted from a trusted dealer. I look at the classifieds here on the Buzz and I look at the price the same item would cost new and I just walk on by.

I know what I have invested in my boat but I know if I were ever to sell it I wouldn't expect to recover more than 25-30% at best.

Perhaps some of these prices are set so high because they expect to be talked down and they want the room to negotiate but by starting too high they just scare everyone off or worse open themselves up to ridicule by the buzzards.
Ultimately I think we can thank ebay for this issue. Ebay used to be good deals, now I only use it to find very hard to find items or to get a laugh. I do a lot of reloading and when I get a new caliber I usually look on ebay for used dies, originally thinking they will be half the price of new. Invariably they sell on ebay for more than you can buy them new at a store down the street!!! they're not collectible, classics nor hard to find. They are just being bought by incomprehensibly stupid people that think used is a good deal and apparently haven't heard of Google. Craigslist has ceased to be dependable for good deals as well, they used to be there but are pretty rare anymore and I'm sure it's the same idiots!
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #449
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
What doesn't open you up to ridicule by buzzards?

Cold Beer!
Old 03-07-2014   #450

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Cold Beer!
Why does it have to be cold, you arrogant ass
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote