Worst deals out there. - Page 20 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-02-2012   #191

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What is the difference between a "river sombrero" and a regular bimini top for a poontoon boat? You can find canvas 3 bow bimini tops of the same sizes that look identical to "river sombreros" for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

3 BOW BIMINI BOAT COVER TOP 61"-66" W/BOOT BLACK COVERS 6' FT INCLUDES HARDWARE | eBay

mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012   #192

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
What is the difference between a "river sombrero" and a regular bimini top for a poontoon boat? You can find canvas 3 bow bimini tops of the same sizes that look identical to "river sombreros" for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

3 BOW BIMINI BOAT COVER TOP 61"-66" W/BOOT BLACK COVERS 6' FT INCLUDES HARDWARE | eBay
Like a lot of products, there is a range of quality even though they might look similar from afar. You can pay less, but you usually get what you pay for. Bimini tops are no different.

For starters, the one you linked to is 46" high while all Sombreros are 54" high so you don't have to duck when you stand up and to keep your lines of vision clear.

The fabric is different as well. The one you linked to is a generic lighter weight fabric than the Sunbrella fabric we sell. U.S.-made Sunbrella is the #1 marine fabric used worldwide with a 50-year track record in service. If you see canvas at a marina or at a restaurant patio, chances are it's Sunbrella. Sunbrella has a 7 year fade warranty, and we've had it up in the sun, wind, and rain in Durango for several years without any noticeable fade or damage.

The aluminum frame tubing diameter is the same as a Sombrero (7/8"), but are the down tubes and stress points reinforced? Are the tube walls the same thickness? Hard to tell. We also offer hardware upgrades to stainless steel and even a full stainless steel frame if you want it. When it comes time to mount your bimini top, we machine aluminum frame mounts right here in Durango that fit NRS or commercial 2" frames perfectly.

Finally, our tops are made in the USA by our manufacturing partners Westland and Carver. They are backed by both a manufacturer's warranty and our commitment to making every customer satisfied. If the need ever arises, parts are readily available, and we are there to help you get what you need. Try that on ebay. Look around - I think you'll find that our prices are very competitive for products of equal quality.
jeffvdgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012   #193
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
"""Lamp made from a Chimay Beer Bottle that I got for Christmas. $500. 721-2XXX"""

From the classifieds local paper. I will send the number if you really want to look at it.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012   #194

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvdgo

Like a lot of products, there is a range of quality even though they might look similar from afar. You can pay less, but you usually get what you pay for. Bimini tops are no different.

For starters, the one you linked to is 46" high while all Sombreros are 54" high so you don't have to duck when you stand up and to keep your lines of vision clear.

The fabric is different as well. The one you linked to is a generic lighter weight fabric than the Sunbrella fabric we sell. U.S.-made Sunbrella is the #1 marine fabric used worldwide with a 50-year track record in service. If you see canvas at a marina or at a restaurant patio, chances are it's Sunbrella. Sunbrella has a 7 year fade warranty, and we've had it up in the sun, wind, and rain in Durango for several years without any noticeable fade or damage.

The aluminum frame tubing diameter is the same as a Sombrero (7/8"), but are the down tubes and stress points reinforced? Are the tube walls the same thickness? Hard to tell. We also offer hardware upgrades to stainless steel and even a full stainless steel frame if you want it. When it comes time to mount your bimini top, we machine aluminum frame mounts right here in Durango that fit NRS or commercial 2" frames perfectly.

Finally, our tops are made in the USA by our manufacturing partners Westland and Carver. They are backed by both a manufacturer's warranty and our commitment to making every customer satisfied. If the need ever arises, parts are readily available, and we are there to help you get what you need. Try that on ebay. Look around - I think you'll find that our prices are very competitive for products of equal quality.
I've got a third party bimini top i paid a lot less but knew what i was getting into. I own three Aire boats and a Maravia and i just have about two trips a year where i'm gonna need the top. It took me about 3 hours to fabricate a mount that would hold up but i'm probably gonna buy the sombrero frame mounts because it gives the flexibilty and stability that my woogen mounting blocks wouldnt give. I have access to a CNC but for $40 its worth it.

I think the worst deals dig was based on the fact that they were selling the item for more than you could buy it new from Sunbrella

I could have bought a saturn but chose to spend my dollars on an Aire. If it was just to float once or twice a year it probably would have been a saturn
Old 02-02-2012   #195

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Jeff,

Thank you. That was a very good response. I was in no way implying that your product was a "worst deal." I just could not see the difference from your website, and you answered my question very well. When I am ready to buy a bimini for my boat I will consider your products.

I appreciate your use of American suppliers as well.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #196

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
I know that this isn't about Saturn specifically but I am hoping to get some replies anyhow. Go use your googles to find the worst raft/kayak deal out there. Everyone agrees that there are rare good deals on rubber and plastic but there are several truly terrible deals out ther at any time. and if your classified comes up here I hope you claim it and repent.

Also if you just want to link to the saturn site that is cool but I am expecting some originality.

Complete 13' Whitewater Raft Package
only 90% of retail!

NRS Drysuit- NEW 2011
This drysuit is $555 NEW

RIOT DOMINATRIX kayak
because whips and chains are worth At least $300 and the plastic is worth $50
I'll give you some originality to the first post. Here's a rip-off: $3,900 for a brand new 14' otter or a brand new 14' saturn for $1,700.

Don't bother with the standard arguments of not american made, or not long lasting, or untrustworthy. I've heard them all.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #197

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvdgo View Post
I agree. Chances are you are going to damage your bimini sooner rather than later. Go with a product you can easily get replacment parts for. I got blown into the tamarisk first time out and bent one of the tubes on my Sombrero. It was nice being able to call them up and have a new tube shipped out quickly and easily.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012   #198
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsley View Post
I'll give you some originality to the first post. Here's a rip-off: $3,900 for a brand new 14' otter or a brand new 14' saturn for $1,700.

Don't bother with the standard arguments of not american made, or not long lasting, or untrustworthy. I've heard them all.
Those are the listed prices. I don't think they're bad. I kind of changed my mind on Saturns and if thats what you can afford to get on the river then thats what you need to do....
Old 02-08-2012   #199

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsley View Post

whoever said the Otter was American made, padre? OK. North American Made ...
Old 02-17-2012   #200
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Self Bailer rubber raft Riken 14 foot with Oars, Frame, and trailer

9 year old setup with pictures that make my Dad's 15 year old Pioneer look like new for 4500????
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote