Mountain Buzz banner

Worst deals out there.

472K views 1K replies 346 participants last post by  Quiggle 
#1 ·
I know that this isn't about Saturn specifically but I am hoping to get some replies anyhow. Go use your googles to find the worst raft/kayak deal out there. Everyone agrees that there are rare good deals on rubber and plastic but there are several truly terrible deals out ther at any time. and if your classified comes up here I hope you claim it and repent.

Also if you just want to link to the saturn site that is cool but I am expecting some originality.

Complete 13' Whitewater Raft Package
only 90% of retail!

NRS Drysuit- NEW 2011
This drysuit is $555 NEW

RIOT DOMINATRIX kayak
because whips and chains are worth At least $300 and the plastic is worth $50

#669 · (Edited)
It's gotta be a typo. No one would try to sell a 23 year old boat for twice what a new one would cost. Someone makes a dumb mistake and the knives come out pretty fast. I really can't believe folks are so intent on sitting at their keyboard and trashing some stranger on the internet there's no thought to give a guy the benefit of the doubt for an obvious mistake. If you're looking for the boat, shoot the guy a note and tell him it looks like a typo on the price. If he's serious, then make a big deal about how crazy the seller is.

-AH

#670 ·
Seriously, it's gotta be a typo. No one would try to sell a 23 year old boat for twice what a new one would cost. Someone makes a dumb mistake and the knives come out pretty fast. Some folks are so intent on sitting at their keyboard and trashing some stranger they've forgotten the common decency to give a guy the benefit of the doubt for an obvious mistake.

-AH
two things:

1 - Not proof reading the PRICE on a for sale post is in-and-of-itself worth a sound thrashing.

2 - basing ridiculously priced items, intentional or not, is what this thread is about.

So lighten up Francis.

#683 ·
Avon definitely went through some awkward years with their materials. If you ever see them side by side its obvious their production changed. That said, that doesn't mean a boat doubles in price; it means the boats with less desirable material depreciate faster. That is some jacked logic and I doubt a professional qouted him almost $10k for a 24 year old inflatable.

Very much in the WTF category. I could see asking $2000+ or so just for the rubber but not five times that much.

Phillip

#684 ·
He Did, and I stopped the conversation to double check, I was shocked, it was about three years ago. I had the boat in his shop to get a few cosmetic things done. He said not to sell it for less than 8K (the rubber only). This was the last year of the most durable Hypalon ever made. after 92 the manufacturing process was changed and the material was considered less durable. Also this is the first year of the self bailing floor in this model...so make some reasonable offers and we can talk!

#686 ·
Avon Scout 1992 12' 6" Self bailer

Just got this response about the boat

"that is the price no typo...

brett"

What the fuck?
I sent an email to Mark to clear things up.

Everyone is entitled to your opinions, I respect that. Low ball offers I don't, and this was a legitimate conversation I had with Mark about three years ago. This boat is nearly perfect!!

#687 ·
I would get a second opinion. You aren't going to get anyone with more brains than money to buy a 24 year old raft at that price. You could sell it but they will be on the losing end or looking for the novelty of the raft.

"most durable hypalon ever made"....that is a big statement. I know folks who didn't like the feel of the rubber after they changed over sometime in the 90s but I haven't heard it was about durability. I think they complain about it being too flexible and bendy in bigger features.

Sorry if you got some bad advice and are getting the slack for it but I would reconsider the price by upwards of at least 50% if you really want to sell the boat.

Phillip

#689 ·
I would get a second opinion. You aren't going to get anyone with more brains than money to buy a 24 year old raft at that price. You could sell it but they will be on the losing end or looking for the novelty of the raft.

"most durable hypalon ever made"....that is a big statement. I know folks who didn't like the feel of the rubber after they changed over sometime in the 90s but I haven't heard it was about durability. I think they complain about it being too flexible and bendy in bigger features.

Sorry if you got some bad advice and are getting the slack for it but I would reconsider the price by upwards of at least 50% if you really want to sell the boat.

Phillip
Sure I respect that...Novelty sounds like the perfect buyer...

#688 ·
I also had an ex Avon rep try to trade me for it on Westwater about three years ago, he wanted to trade me for his 16 ft Avon with all of his gear, dry boxes, coolers, everything...
He even said all the food in the coolers. So I Know what I have, I have done my research...

#691 ·
What you have is a 23 year old boat dont try to church it up Dirt. Getting 9000 g for that thing is a pipe dream. Getting 3 is a stretch. I call bullshit on anyone in the know telling you otherwise or a "rep" trying to trade his rig unless it was a total pile of poopy.

#695 ·
So let's say it is the greatest hypalon ever made. It is still 23 years old. You could buy a similar sized Hyside, brand spanking new, for $3695. Say you only get 11.5 years out of your Hyside. In 2026 you still have the left over $5805 to buy a new boat.

Makes perfect sense to me.