Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Sorry 2800 for a galvanized frame

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012   #172

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Why would you want to spend $1200 for a maxxon?
Old 01-15-2012   #173
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Why would you want to spend $1200 for a maxxon?
I did once for a 16' cat including seat, 3 oars, and 6 quickly replaced rigging straps. It was a good beginner rig, had alot of fun with it. Got what I wanted and built the frame I wanted. And no it wasn't a Saturn
Old 01-15-2012   #174
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Now this is not a bad deal: Fishing Raft - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
Old 01-15-2012   #175

Ellensburg, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
Hey Catcherman- if I might ask, what is the benefit/purpose of a pontoon that you can't use fins with? Definitely not bashing your design or anything like that, but I had been thinking about upgrading my 8ft fishcat that's a bit small my 250# frame to something more pimp.

I was thinking outcast or similar, but was intrigued by your cat frames. I notice that alot of the nicer fishing cats from the WA and OR area (skookum, catcher, waterready) have casting platforms so you can't use fins. I use the fishcat for one man fishing, and rarely get a chance to anchor in the rivers out here in CO, so I always have to use fins when I fish from the one man.

So, humbly, what am I missing?
I think most of the rivers out west are not as conducive to using fins as those in the Rockies. Fins work in certain rivers to help control and position your craft while fishing. We do have a model that works good for this application called our "Kamloops" that allows the use of both fins and oars for propulsion.

However, in larger boats/pontoons, it gets more difficult to control with fins alone. As far as the casting platform, I have seen folks jump down and sit on the floor when wanting to use fins and then jump back up in the seat to use oars.

It can be difficult to anchor and fish in single person pontoon boats as you probably know, at least on freestone rivers. You have to be able to safely anchor or use fins to control your drift and fish on the move. Both require knowing how, when, and where you can do it.

I hope that answers your question.
The Catcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Lets see, i can get a 13' Maxxon raft for $1200 at Factory Surplus in GWS, so $3800 for a frame, thats not aluminum?
I built my aluminum 5 bay frame for @ $500 including oar towers and cobra oar locks and still have enough pipe to make 2 lean bars I would just need to buy a couple of t fittings so it can break down for white water = $50.00, 2 more tractor seats = $195, so for say an extra $400 I can have the same set up with more bays thats lighter that can be easily switched for either use. I understand that you need to make $ off of your customers. Call me crazy I think that is expensive for a galvanized frame.
I am reluctant to even comment as we are way off the original topic and I don't want to overstep my bounds being new and all.

We hear your scenario above all the time. It is great that you have the knowledge, skill, time, and place to build your own frame. Not everybody does. My dad built some of the first home-made aluminum jet boats in the NW. I barely know the difference between MIG and TIG welding. We are not all the same.

What is your time worth? Do you expect to get paid for your work? Do you expect others to work for free? What about the incidental costs of running a business? What about light and heat? What about gas for the welder? What about the floors that need to be custom fit and Rhino-lined? What about the rod holders that need to be riveted? What about the anchor system and pulleys? What about the end caps, hardware, straps, and other misc. items that need to be ordered and installed? What about shipping costs for everything? What about equipment depreciation? What about advertising costs? All these things may seem insignificant when building one boat but adds up when building 50. And because we are a small business, we buy in relatively small quantities, thereby not getting the same wholesale discounts that bigger companies do, which is why we try to beat the big companies with better customer service.

If you can build a frame as a home project, more power to you. But doing that vs. operating a business is not even close to being the same thing. You can't necessarily compare the two costs simply as an itemized spreadsheet as its apples and oranges. But I do wish you luck in your floating endeavors.
Old 01-15-2012   #177

One final thought and I'll politely bow out, we were not forced to start rafting company (although we had some that wanted us to) just like nobody is forced to buy a Catchercraft product. If anyone thinks it is overpriced, that is your right. I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me...just point out some things from a different perspective. That is still one great thing about our country that we still have...for now.
Old 01-15-2012   #178
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
I still think it is pricey. there are other options out there
Old 01-15-2012   #179

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catcherman View Post
I hope that answers your question.
You answered my question perfectly, thanks.

Sorry you got a bit strung up here, but I can see where people were coming from. We WW folks tend to be cheap-ass do-it-yourselfers and tinkerers who feel our boat's ability to withstand thermonuclear war may be the difference between life and death someday, whereas the Flyfishing crowd tends to be the Orvis off the shelf crowd that like to do laps on well traveled rivers. Two different boats for two different folks. Most WW rafts make shitty fishing rigs as well.

Dave Scadden is probably the most ridiculed (and rightfully so) boat manufacturer on this board, but I seriously doubt if that has hurt his bottom line one dime. Your clientele probably doesn't hang out here either.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #180

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Jesus H C,

Bottom line, better boat 14' RMR + list price on Catchercraft Chinook frame, + $500 for oars, is $400 cheaper (including shipping and any markup than the RMR boys need to sell their boats and keep the lights on etc. etc.) than the Catchercraft maxxon raft/chinook combo. No tinkering required. Why don't the RMR boys and Catchercraft dude get together to put a combo out? Hell Catchercraft dude could be the RMR raft distributor in WA, instead of going over to the Maxxon importer in Kent. Hell RMR could just have the container from where ever they are made in Asia sent right to Seattle for Catcherman.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote