Worst deals out there. - Page 17 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-15-2012   #161

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
It is it just me or is that frame made from EMT conduit? What is the diameter of the tubing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012   #162

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I did check out the catchercraft page and although constructed of emt the build quality appears at least on par with other steel frames. Unfortunately the price list doesnt show the prices on an iphone so i cant comment on the price. Ill check from my computer tomorrow
Old 01-15-2012   #163

Ellensburg, United States

We make frames from galvanized steel (EMT) in two diameter sizes and aluminum in solid and breakdown versions. The particular raft that was posted was built out of the larger diameter steel. The fabricator (and my partner) has built close to a thousand frames, if not more (mostly pontoons) so I think he knows what he's doing when it comes to bending and welding metal.

I'm surprised that such a small, unknown company out of WA would create any buzz at all on Mountain Buzz.
The Catcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #164
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Is the 4 grand for the aluminum or the galvanized frame on the maxxon?
Old 01-15-2012   #165

Galvanized.
Old 01-15-2012   #166

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catcherman View Post
Shapp,

Care to expand? High compared to what? The prices are on the lower end of both the pontoons and rafts, in most cases the lowest price in its respective category.

For pontoon quality, I think what we use is either the same or comparable to the others on the list. For rafts, Maxxon is inferior to many of the higher quality rafts but a handful of fishing guides sure like the frames; again, which I think are better for fishing that what is out there.

We have had this discussion before and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Actually the discussion we had previously was that you could match your nice frames with a better boat for less or about the same price, and that maxxon rafts are inferior to other similar products for several reasons. But to the issue on price, respectfully I don't see how this is an opinion, the numbers are facts:

Catchercraft coho frame for 13' raft $1650, paired with 13' maxxon raft $4000

Catchercraft chinook frame for 14' raft $1700, paired with 14' maxxon raft $4200

Boat people prices for 2011 Rocky mountain rafts (note there is a seller on portland craigslist that claims to have even lower prices for 2012 rocky mountain rafts until June 2012, Raft Rocky Mountain Rafts)

14' RMR raft with with list price Catchercraft chinook frame $3389, throw in $500 for some oars and you are still $3889

13' RMR raft with list price catchercraft coho frame $3149, with oars $3649

Recretec fishing frame for 14' raft $1303 (steel) from their website.

Maybe I am missing something, I don't think you could make the case that maxxon rafts are superior in price or performance to the rocky mountain rafts?
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #167

Shapp,

We had lots of good previous discussion and I enjoyed it as you provided some excellent information. While we continue to look for other inflatable possibilities, our primary focus is custom frame work. You want a rod holder in a specific location, we can do that. If you want a removable lean bar, we can do that. If you want a custom frame on any raft of your choice, we can do that.

But because we are a small company in the NW specializing in custom work, the logistics of dealing with Rocky Mountain inflatable companies is more challenging. And even though they may be better, most NW fishers, including many guides, have found Maxxon to be adequate.

Frankly, I know very little about RMR and didn't include them in our price list comparison table. If you had said "high" compared to them, then you have a point. But Catchercraft is certainly not "high" compared to most others. I will be looking into RMR as we often look at what products are available to match up with our frames. Maxxon just happens to be an hour from our fab shop.

Nothing wrong with the pre-fabbed bolt together frames. Typically you pay more for custom work. From a price standpoint, we have tried to keep our custom work on the lower side of most "out of the box" companies.
Old 01-15-2012   #168

Shapp,

Since you took the liberty to post our website prices, perhaps I'll add the link to our customer feedback.

Customer Feedback

Even though Catchercraft was formed less than a year ago, we have had great feedback on our products and customer support. take a look at the link and see what Catchercraft customers voluntarily say about their experience with Catchercraft. I wonder how many other companies would drive 3 hours to deliver a boat to a customer at no additional charge?

Or how many other companies have a "try it before you buy it" program?

Rentals & Demos

Okay, I have piped in enough on this thread. Let's get back to the worst deals out there.
Old 01-15-2012   #169

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey Catcherman- if I might ask, what is the benefit/purpose of a pontoon that you can't use fins with? Definitely not bashing your design or anything like that, but I had been thinking about upgrading my 8ft fishcat that's a bit small my 250# frame to something more pimp.

I was thinking outcast or similar, but was intrigued by your cat frames. I notice that alot of the nicer fishing cats from the WA and OR area (skookum, catcher, waterready) have casting platforms so you can't use fins. I use the fishcat for one man fishing, and rarely get a chance to anchor in the rivers out here in CO, so I always have to use fins when I fish from the one man.

So, humbly, what am I missing?
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #170
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Lets see, i can get a 13' Maxxon raft for $1200 at Factory Surplus in GWS, so $3800 for a frame, thats not aluminum?
I built my aluminum 5 bay frame for @ $500 including oar towers and cobra oar locks and still have enough pipe to make 2 lean bars I would just need to buy a couple of t fittings so it can break down for white water = $50.00, 2 more tractor seats = $195, so for say an extra $400 I can have the same set up with more bays thats lighter that can be easily switched for either use. I understand that you need to make $ off of your customers. Call me crazy I think that is expensive for a galvanized frame.