Mountain Buzz banner

Worst deals out there.

472K views 1K replies 346 participants last post by  Quiggle 
#1 ·
I know that this isn't about Saturn specifically but I am hoping to get some replies anyhow. Go use your googles to find the worst raft/kayak deal out there. Everyone agrees that there are rare good deals on rubber and plastic but there are several truly terrible deals out ther at any time. and if your classified comes up here I hope you claim it and repent.

Also if you just want to link to the saturn site that is cool but I am expecting some originality.

Complete 13' Whitewater Raft Package
only 90% of retail!

NRS Drysuit- NEW 2011
This drysuit is $555 NEW

RIOT DOMINATRIX kayak
because whips and chains are worth At least $300 and the plastic is worth $50

#592 ·
[When someone sells a raft, it seems common to hear them brag about how many times that raft's been down the Grand, the Middle Fork at high water, has tons of San Juan, Deso, low water Lodore trips, and so on.

Just sayin'

-AH[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought. I think it is because if someone is taking their raft out on multiday trips on a regular basis they have a vested interest in the proper care and storage of that boat. If they don't raft regularly, who knows how the boat is cared for and stored.

Many of us, and I bet most of the buzzards here, are fairly anal about our gear. Probably make an unconscious association that lots of trips = proper care and storage (which may or may not be a good assumption).

I know when I bought my used raft, the fact the guy boated a ton made a huge difference. I could tell he was anal with his gear and it showed in the raft.

#594 ·
I agree completely! Fully restored, refurbished, rebuilt, new paint, etc. etc... = worn out POS that the seller is tired of fixing unless maybe it's a classic car, boat, bike or something. Anything made of rubber or plastic can only get shittier with age!

The "experienced" boat story must work though, cause almost everyone does it! Along that line, boaters are notoriously superstitous folks so maybe alot has to do with "if it treated the PO good, it will treat me good"... A kind of humanizing many of us do...I know I get attached to my stuff, boats and cars especially and when I sell them I want them to go to good homes...how stupid is that!

#595 ·
Hahaha! This is exactly why I won't ever sell my jeep. The ad would look something like this:

1989 Jeep Cherokee 2door sport for sale. This baby has 25 years of awesome driving under its belt. New clutch and slave cylinder, new radio and speakers, new radiator, new snow tires, recently aligned and lubed :D. Needs new fuse box, windshield, rear wiper needs work, missing the rear hatch key lock, but if you put your fingers in the hole and jiggle the thingy around a bit you can still open the door and lock it :wink:! The heater runs a little cold, driver's side door is sticky in the winter. 243,000 miles- all highway!

$8500 firm. Serious inquiries only, fuckers! :cool:

#614 ·
But hey, that guy with the Canyon frame has come down to a quite reasonable $3300 for a frame, dryboxes, and oars. Did you see the Aire Jag for 1700 in Sandy? Looks like a pretty good deal, needs a lot of cleaning.

#619 ·
Go grab your wallet for this old commercially used avon boat with a mashup of ammo cans, rocket boxes and other gear for only $4,200.

14' Avon Whitewater raft, paddles, frame, oars, and equipment

Hi there,

I'm selling a full whitewater kit that is good for both paddle boating and longer multi-day river trips. The kit is awesome, but I am moving, need to downsize, and I just havent used it as much as I would have liked to. It needs someone who will get her on some rivers!

The pictures tell most of the story (as they usually do), but I'll list out what I can.

(1) 14' Avon Adventurer (Avon Military and Profesional - THE ADVENTURER), light gray hypalon, with two removable thwarts and foot cups. Since the photo was taken I have replaced all 4 of the handles with new NRS ones, and added black wear patches fore and aft of the main Avon wear patches; I also replaced three of the valves. The boat is in great shape and has always been maintained well, no leaks, tears, big scratches, crazy patch jobs, or anything of the like. Until a few years ago when it was purchased, it had been used as a paddle boat on the Rogue River.

(2) Aluminum oar frame. I built this rig after having been a guide for 5 years. Its burly enough for most anything you can throw at it and still breaks down to stow away in a car if needed. 1 5/8" aluminum tubing, fittings, and oar towers. It's designed to fit 4 large 'rocket boxes' (30mm Ammo cans) and one smaller 20mm can for dry storage and a large cooler (126 qt, 148qt?--I can never remember). The front (or back if you rig it that way) frame is a drop hatch made of mesh that you can throw a lot of gear into. There is a solid wood floor for the cockpit, with D-rings and attachment points for strapping down boxes or other gear, and to provide a solid platform from which to row. At 6'0", I can comfortably row sitting on the cooler, turn around and row sitting on the ammo cans, and even stand up on the floor and row. There is also a wooden platform for behind the cooler that is suspended from the stern and the frame to provide more cargo capacity (we used to call these 'beaver tails').

(3) Ammo cans and cooler. These were purchased new (if you can call it that) for this project and are some of the most perfectly kept ammo cans I've ever seen. The rubber is all in great shape, the metal is straight and square with no rust, and they seal excellently. 4 large 30mm cans (like these: Armygear.net -- Ammo Can: M592 30mm, Good Condition), 4 smaller 20mm cans, and two small ammo cans for the repair kit and patch kit. The cooler is a 94 qt. igloo brand and fits perfectly in the frame (it was designed that way).

(4) 11' custom built oars (3 of them). I built these specifically for this project after rowing several types of Sawyer, Clavey, and Blunt Family oars and melding the best of all of them. The center piece is 1 1/4" solid ash and is laminated with marine grade plywood. They were hand shaped, given a lot of love and varnish, and then I had Sawyer do their super professional rope wrap on them. The combination of the different wood species gives these oars a ridiculous amount of vertical rigidity where its needed (up and down) and good flex and 'snap' through the stroke. For me, they combine the weight and feel of composites with the durability, strength, and stiffness of solid wood. I love them.

(5) Paddles. A jester's assortment of 4 normal paddles and one guide paddle.

(6) A groover. One of the 20mm ammo cans is set up as a groover and has a toilet seat that fits snugly over the can.

(7) A custom camp table with folding legs. This doubles as the front hatch cover.

(8) A 4"-thick Sotar paco pad. I use it to pad the front hatch/table and turn it into a seat. Then I sleep on it, then repeat. This paco is in great shape, never been waterlogged, and is safety yellow.

(9) A brand new Carlisle pump. These things are stupid expensive.

(10) A fire pan/grill combo with aluminum lid. These too are stupid expensive, but good golly so worth it for a nice fire or dutch oven on the river.

(11) A literal boat load of camp straps. Enough to rig it and all your gear, plus some. All of the straps are relatively new and have been well taken care of. Most are Sotar and River Hardware brand, but there are some newer NRS ones too.

And, if you're still reading, give me a call or an e-mail and we can chat more about it. I am sure there is something I missed. Plus, there's always plenty to talk about when it comes to boating.

Cheers

#620 ·
Go grab your wallet for this old commercially used avon boat with a mashup of ammo cans, rocket boxes and other gear for only $4,200.
So did you really think this was a 'worst deal' ......

For what is there I think he is right on with the price really.

You could probably negotiate some off for the d rings ( fabric is shot) that need replaced and I don't like the big fat Echo lettering on there. But damn there is everything you need. Or did I miss something?

#626 ·
I could be way off on this one but there I found some commercially used Outfitters being sold for $900 (2009) and $1000 (2010) while the outfitter lists new ones for $1259.

Seems that they are charging equal or more to the wholesale volume price that they paid to get them new in spite of having 5 seasons of use?