Mountain Buzz banner

Worst deals out there.

472K views 1K replies 346 participants last post by  Quiggle 
#1 ·
I know that this isn't about Saturn specifically but I am hoping to get some replies anyhow. Go use your googles to find the worst raft/kayak deal out there. Everyone agrees that there are rare good deals on rubber and plastic but there are several truly terrible deals out ther at any time. and if your classified comes up here I hope you claim it and repent.

Also if you just want to link to the saturn site that is cool but I am expecting some originality.

Complete 13' Whitewater Raft Package
only 90% of retail!

NRS Drysuit- NEW 2011
This drysuit is $555 NEW

RIOT DOMINATRIX kayak
because whips and chains are worth At least $300 and the plastic is worth $50

#483 ·
I almost feel sorry for this guy. $500 for the lightning paddle?? Really?? Someone got hosed at the retailer.

Kayak & Gear
But the helmet still has the tag on it and no way did he really pay 500 for that paddle. You can get a AT for that kind of money :D

It seems that rafters don't have the market covered on bad deals anymore!

So, simular kayak here on the Buzz $250 to 500
Nomad 8.1 - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Lightning Paddle new $250 tops.
AT Super light bent shaft paddle - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Helmet and spray skirt $200 tops
Snapdragon spray skirt - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

Yep I could get a better boat, paddle, skirt, and helmet here on the buzz for much less.

#485 ·
Whoa! I'll just leave this here for everyone to decide on their own.:-?

alaskan multi use raft

You'd think that being near 2 of the most predominant raft manufacturers in the country, people would know better.....

Yeah, that is a rebranded STAR wonderbug or superbug (depending on the size, which isn't listed... those are about 3k brand new full retail from STAR. I had one until last year (superbug 15'). that price is WAY out of line. Actually, given the thwart positions and such, it looks like a "Lightening Bug"... $2450 full retail http://www.starinflatables.com/mods/prodView.asp?idproduct=24 looks like they added handles and a motor mount, which doesn't strike me as being worth $2k extra.

#492 ·
Don't be so bored. I don't see how this is the worst deal.

If someone was in Laramie and needed a full set up this is about as good as it gets. Everything seems like great gear. And his retail prices are right on from what I can see. So he is asking $2,600 less than retail. No sales tax and no shipping if you are in Wyoming. How is that bad?

He is asking 10,995. You walk in with $9,500 in cash and I bet you have a deal. There is shit on here and this is great gear 20% off new before you negotiate.

What's your story morning glory?

#493 ·
Ya I guess you're right... but if I walked into DRE with 10K in my pocket I bet they give me 20% off as well on all actually brand new stuff... It may be lightly used but its still all used. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have this whole set up, but I'd want to pay way less then retail off craigslist since you really dont know how any of it was treated... I was just surprised to see an 11K price tag on CL for a raft package, when most like this are about 5-6K with a trailer.

#494 ·
I'm down with paul on this one. Sure its not the "worst deal" but its definatly not --

"Raft Package Of Your Dreams at an absolutely unbeatable price." as outlined in ad

I think that one could beat that price point by a good margine on a USED boat that would be just as great as that avon over the long haul. And like paul said. If I went to any dealer they would discount all the gear purchased with the boat no less than 15%. So, there is $8080 in gear that would cost no more that $6868. Add that to the price of the raft and the real total is 12263 in boat and gear. If you buy from OR then no taxes. Its easy to get free shipping too. Just have the raft drop shipped from the manufacture like Aire does. It doesn't take much before this become a real bad deal apon inspection. And if you wait until fall clearance season you could buy that whole packege brand spanking new for 10K just saying.

#495 ·
I'm down with paul on this one. Sure its not the "worst deal" but its definatly not --

"Raft Package Of Your Dreams at an absolutely unbeatable price." as outlined in ad
The name of this thread is "Worst Deals Out There" not "badly titled Craigslist rafting ads" and sure you could drive to OR and get something there without paying sales tax. What $200 to $250 fuel. And I am sure that a retailer that is already discounting everything would just LOVE to throw in $200 to $300 worth of freight if they can even get it shipped for that. A lot of supposition and "bet I could".

This is still not a "bad" deal, even if you tight bastards could get close to that, and it is very far indeed from the Worst Deal.

Can you even get Avon's here anymore?

Add shipping from England or Wales or whatever and it starts to be a better deal.

#498 ·
As the founding father of this thread, a connoisseur of used equipment and one who has seen carvedog in his underwear I'm going to issue a ruling.

12k for a package feels excessive to me.

But for exactly the right person it is an ok place to start negotiating.

So my ruling is shared custody of the shit and no alimony to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#499 ·
Bahaha. I'm sorry you had to see the Dawg in his skivies. Your judgment is accepted. I'll sign the pappers first thing in the am. (-:

If that deal was a maravia with a cascade frame, I would have sided with the dawg.

The drybox and cooler rock the kazba. But for the right person? Maybe. But for now, I'd say a sucker is born every minute. I just had a co-worker drop 23K for a 69 chevelle w/out the stock motor and it had 150K with a small rust spot. For him it was a good deal. So ya never know do ya?

#507 ·
Living in a cave since giving up boating 20+ years ago: Mirage by Preception Kayak

Half asking would be robbery: Kayak for sell
I would agree that this is not a good deal and a nook is worth way more than the mirage for sure. But I think you have way too much time on your hands if you are trolling this person because of a craigslist post. :rolleyes:

I highly suggest you go get on the river! :D

#506 ·
You've heard of "scam baiting?" With a little "rip-off baiting," the Mirage has been reduced from $500 to $400:

Me: Hi. I have a B&N Nook I'll trade for your Mirage kayak. Let me know. Thanks.
5055555555: Can you send me pictures of this
Me: I could this evening, but here is the URL, if it helps: NOOK Simple Touch® - Frequently Asked Questions, FAQs - BarnesÂ*&Â*Noble
5055555555: How old is your Nook and is it the Nook glow light or the Nook HD and how big is the screen
Me: Only a couple years old. Used very little. Simple Touch (model just before Glow Light). Screen is 800x600, 6" diagonal.
Me: Here is a better URL: BARNES & NOBLE | NOOK Simple Touch®
5055555555: Does it have google play?
Me: Not currently, but it can be "rooted" to do so.
5055555555: I'm not interested in doing a straight across trade due to the fact that I'm selling the canoe for 500 and the nook I can get for under 100. So if you have a little cash along with the nook then we can talk
Me: Understood. You do realize it is a 35-year-old design that hasn't been manufactured in 20 years, right? If you can get $100 for it, I'll give you my Nook. :)
5055555555: Yeah I'll take $100 and your Nook
Me: Sorry, you misunderstand me. I don't think it is worth more than $50 in today's market, sadly. I'm just suggesting you lower your expectations a bit.
5055555555: I'll find somebody that can appreciate it
Me: I don't expect it, but I'd love to know what you do eventually sell it for. Seriously, check this out: 2009 Jackson Fun Kayak ++

#508 ·
Yeehaw, selfbailing whitewater raft, $1400 for a 12ft stripped down Momentum! My buddy sold a 14ft outfitted momentum for about the same last year.

And for you who want music on the river, Cooler Stereo (Coleman) (Raft)(camping)(bbq)(music). The ad says he has a cooler stereo, but the photos are of a variety of cooler stereos. I particularly like the the second photo being photobombed by the TV in the background. All I can make out is "racquetball" and "man's buttcheeks"

#511 ·
This one is more funny than a bad deal...but I had to post it

Drysuit

here is the text in case he takes it down

I have a peice of shit drysuit that I want to sell this cost me 500 new two years ago and it was great for about ten uses then it continued to freakin leak and piss me off I'm only trying to sell if no one wants it then I'm going to burn the fucker and send it back to stolquist who only make shit these days text me show contact info
The gaskets are good!!!

#512 ·
Haha had to add this one. Not raft related but bike related. Somethings wrong in SLC!!!

1974 Raleigh International

Incase the ad dissapears here is a screen shot too and the text:

2014-05-13_1156 - paulronto's library

1974 Raleigh International
Original one-owner bike.
will sell for $1900

Recent eBay sale of another 1974 Raleigh International was at $2500 plus $175 shipping.
1974 Raleigh International Bicycle 23 5" Copper Near Original Condition | eBay

frame Reynolds 431 Chromoly, Carlton, Raleigh International
top tube length 52 cm
seat tube length from center of bottom bracket 51 cm to top of top tube and 53 cm to top of seat tube
seat Avocet
seat post Campagnolo 27.2 with two bolt seat attachment
seat post fastener hex nut
pump Impero
pedals Campagnolo (Brev. Campagnolo)
toe clips Christopher Special Brevete AFA made in France
straps Verma
crank arm Campagnolo 165 Strada
chain rings Campagnolo 43 and 52
front derailleur Campagnolo (Brev. Campagnolo)
rear derailleur Campagnolo Nuovo Record
axils and quick release Campagnolo (Brev. Camp)
headset Italy Brev. Campagnolo
stem CB
rims Weinmann 36 hole 27 X 1-1/4 made in Belgium
brakes Weinmann 610 Vanqueur 999
brake levers Weinmann
brake lever covers Carlton
brake cable guide front chrome with no name or marking
brake cable guides rear brazed on
shifters Sun Tour
shifter cable guide upper Sun Tour
shifter cable guide lower Campagnolo
quick release skewers Campagnolo and Brev. Camp.
tire pump Impero
saddle bag Cannondale

Thank you for looking.

#515 ·
#517 ·
Didnt realize that wasnt a private party. Rafting is expensive. Wow if I am ever going to get a baller raft setup that is not owned by the Govmt, I am going to need a sponsor. I wonder how one goes about getting a raft sponsor. I will need to do more drinking, maybe put on 40lbs, and start talking about being a raft guide to people. "Hey, I am a raft guide." Drunk girls like that kind of thing.

#518 ·
16' Avon Bucket Boat - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

This seems about $700 too high seeing that I picked up a 1995 Avon self bailer for $1,100 with an aluminum frame four years ago. I guess it comes with decking not shown and two ammo cans but who wants bent Carlisle breakdown oars. There is a 16' self bailer 16 years newer on the same page for $400 more bucks WTF.

#519 ·
I picked up a 1995 Avon self bailer for $1,100 with an aluminum frame four years ago.
You probably got the deal of the decade.

This Avon is probably a little overpriced but it is tough to tell without pictures of the frame, oars, floor, cans, etc. People post all kinds of rafts all the time but unless you make the purchase, you never hear what they actually sell for.