Mountain Buzz banner

Worst deals out there.

472K views 1K replies 346 participants last post by  Quiggle 
#1 ·
I know that this isn't about Saturn specifically but I am hoping to get some replies anyhow. Go use your googles to find the worst raft/kayak deal out there. Everyone agrees that there are rare good deals on rubber and plastic but there are several truly terrible deals out ther at any time. and if your classified comes up here I hope you claim it and repent.

Also if you just want to link to the saturn site that is cool but I am expecting some originality.

Complete 13' Whitewater Raft Package
only 90% of retail!

NRS Drysuit- NEW 2011
This drysuit is $555 NEW

RIOT DOMINATRIX kayak
because whips and chains are worth At least $300 and the plastic is worth $50

#442 ·
Wow that's like two towns away from me. Yes, way too much, by about double. This is where I see boats like the RMR spoil the prices of the higher end boats in the used market. You can walk into most boat retailers and buy a good boat that size for about 2500 bucks. Why would anyone spend that much on a 20 year old boat when you could buy a new boat with warranty? I could see maybe 2 grand for that boat, but not 74% the cost of a new 14 foot Sotar.

#445 ·
Buying Used is a Risk!

Ok there are 45 pages of bad deals and I think we're just scratching the surface. What is it with these people? Am I wrong to suggest that when you drive it off the lot it looses 35-40% of it's value? Don't the realize that it is a risk to buy used? You take a risk just to drive 60 miles to take a look. It has to be a great deal or it will be better to buy new and warranted from a trusted dealer. I look at the classifieds here on the Buzz and I look at the price the same item would cost new and I just walk on by.

I know what I have invested in my boat but I know if I were ever to sell it I wouldn't expect to recover more than 25-30% at best.

Perhaps some of these prices are set so high because they expect to be talked down and they want the room to negotiate but by starting too high they just scare everyone off or worse open themselves up to ridicule by the buzzards.

#465 ·
#457 ·
I have no idea but I do know that I wouldn't pay 3K for a flatbead trailer of any type. I have a hard time believing everything in those photo's adds up to 10K when new, bought directly from NRS without free shipping... But if so, It's still a used, 3 chamber boat on a waste of aluminum trailer. IMHO the guy is smokin' crack and lots of it!

#460 ·
I have no problem paying 1/2-3/4 full price for top quality gear, depending on age and condition. The seller recoups a fair amount of their money & I save a fair amount of mine. In some cases it's a nicely put together set-up that would take extra money & time to put together. If someone is just getting into this sport, it's a good way to get started. The problem I see with many of these ads it that they expect to recoup ALL of their money for stuff that's 2-5 years old. Yes, maybe it's top notch stuff in excellent condition, but asking 100% full price is silly. The other problem I've seen it folks asking MORE than full price for low end stuff. In these cases (like the Sea Eagle ad), I think they don't have a clue what full market price is, and they just guess at what sounds good to them.

My 2 cents. I do scratch my head at these ads sometimes. I know money is tight for folks, and selling "toys" is something that has to be done to make ends meet. I'm often sad when I see people selling their stuff because they have to in order to pay bills, and not because they no longer use the stuff. That sucks.:(

#467 ·
Keep in mind that retail prices go up each year between 3-5% for the rafts and other components, so it's very possible the seller is asking the same amount or even more than he paid 5 years ago. An outfitter 10-20% less than retail for their raft/gear so often times they're selling it for more than they ever paid for it, though likely for less than they have to pay for a replacement.

If only vehicles, kayaks, and other gear depreciated as slowly as rafts.....

#470 ·
I'm note sure if the old man comes with the cat, nor am I sure if the old man would increase or decrease the value.

Raft for sale - LaBelle, Florida

$4000.00 Ready to launch on a major river expedition.

(Completely equipped, ready to launch. Health requires that Cliff Long must give up whitewater rafting.)

1993 Aire Jaguarundi 16' cataraft. Was last used on the Grand Canyon, July 2012. The tubes have no patches. Raft shows use but is in good condition. Storage has always been inside away from the sun. There are many extras included with the raft. (16' tubes); NRS Fat Cat Frame, includes tall seat, foot-bar, 4 pair dry box hangars Extra yoke; Extra cross bars; 10' floor net; 4 frame rails 120" included; Dry box 36"l x 16"h x 16"d; Dry box 36"l x 13"h
x 16"d; 6" Carlson Pump; 2 Cataract Oars with Cataract blades 11'; 3 Carlisle Oars with Carlisle Blade 11'; 2 tall oar stands; 2 pins (12") with clips; 5 clips; pair stirrups; 6 flip lines; assorted straps, straight and loop; 3' sand stake and rubber mallet ; 2 rocket boxes ; Coyote toilet system (box, seat, drain hose); 2 added Coyote boxes; GTS Boom Box (box, seat, drain hose); 4 fire pans (price unknown); 6 rectangular Rubber Maid buckets (dish washing, hand washing); 2 foot operated water pumps (hand washing,); Backboard (fiber glassed ¾" plywood); 3 shelves for bags, etc., ¾" x 16" x 36" ; Pop up privacy tent for toilet; River Aquatics Filtering Technology (gravity ceramic water filter & spare cartridge); Coleman Marine 100 quart cooler; Coleman Marine 150 quart cooler.

$4000.00 for raft, and all the gear. First full payment to reach buyer gets the raft. Will ship to anywhere in lower 48 states.

PAYMENT: PayPal is acceptable. Cash or if check the ownership transfer will take place at buyer's bank.

Questions are welcomed. Cliff Long (316) 832-0602, cliffalong at gmail dot com

#474 ·
Not as bad as you think.

Though I agree he may have difficulty selling items together for that price. I see a nice carbon paddle , NRS ninja vest, dry top, I think snap dragon spray skirt and of course the kayak. I would say it is worth a solid $750 to some just starting out and needing everything.

#477 ·
Bama,

I couldn't believe how much boats sell for down there! Nobody wants to paddle old plastic here in CO. Most of my pricing is just because I've been looking for a greenboat for awhile. So I'm always checking Craig's and the forums looking for a deal. So I see what comes and goes. The problem is being near the deal.

#478 ·
Bama,

I couldn't believe how much boats sell for down there! Nobody wants to paddle old plastic here in CO. Most of my pricing is just because I've been looking for a greenboat for awhile. So I'm always checking Craig's and the forums looking for a deal. So I see what comes and goes. The problem is being near the deal.
True, what you need to do is find someone with a sponsorship deal who gets new boats every year and has plenty of almost new boats to get rid of.