Mountain Buzz banner

Worst deals out there.

472K views 1K replies 346 participants last post by  Quiggle 
#1 ·
I know that this isn't about Saturn specifically but I am hoping to get some replies anyhow. Go use your googles to find the worst raft/kayak deal out there. Everyone agrees that there are rare good deals on rubber and plastic but there are several truly terrible deals out ther at any time. and if your classified comes up here I hope you claim it and repent.

Also if you just want to link to the saturn site that is cool but I am expecting some originality.

Complete 13' Whitewater Raft Package
only 90% of retail!

NRS Drysuit- NEW 2011
This drysuit is $555 NEW

RIOT DOMINATRIX kayak
because whips and chains are worth At least $300 and the plastic is worth $50

#406 ·
Dont know much about cedar strip canoes, but here is one for 9 large
1980 Rare Greg Morley 17' Cedar Strip Canoe-loaded
IMHO, it's pretty dumb what he gets for his boats. I stopped in his shop and talked to him a couple of years ago. Not a really nice guy.

He is a good craftsman, and I guess that shit is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Uses polyester resin...which is pretty...but shit for strength.

#411 ·
#410 ·
You reminded me of this Avon:
Avon raft

This guy has been updating this posting every couple of weeks for I think a year or longer. At least I think i have seen it coming up in searches regularly for nearly a year. It even has 2013 registration, so it is good to go.

#412 ·
"The Drifter"

For what it's worth bucket boats, when very lightly loaded row very well, they're much cleaner underneath and have less drag so they are much easier (as in less exertion) to back row. For a dedicated fishing boat I would by a bucket boat over a selfbailer in a heart beat. It's interesting what folks from different parts of the country with different focuses on the river think of other peoples preferences. Montana is filled with shallow, fast moving rivers with comparitively few rapids. On these rivers most of the water entering the boat is from waders and such and having the heavier, "rougher" floor is not necessary for most folks. They obviously have their drawbacks, especially in bigger water but it's all about what you use your boat for. With that said I wouldnt spend 2-grand on one and obviously nobody else will either as this guy has been listing that boat since May at least!

Great minds up there in Montana!
Yeah, we're all a bunch of idiots so stay away, plus there is really nothing to see here anyways so if you're thinking of a western boating vacation you should probably stick to one of the other states...

#417 ·
Not just one, or two twarts......but three twarts. Although, all of the pictures show two twarts. Maybe twarts are magic, and they can appear and disappear on command? :confused:

#421 ·
You beat me to it. Saw that earlier. Maybe we should start offering our pricing advice. The frame is nice, but you'll have a hard time selling it by itself for $1000. And a standard floor knocks down the price, as do the patches.

Thinking a generous $2000 for the boat and frame, maybe $500 for the trailer, $2500 total.

#426 ·
My cocktail napkin math says this is about 10% below new retail:

Super Duper Puma 14' Aire whitewater raft & frame setup

Super Duper Puma 14' Aire whitewater raft & frame setup - $4950 (N PDX)

Complete package ready to put on the river.
Includes:
14' super duper puma Aire raft w/ 3 thwarts, color is green, 5 yrs old
NRS aluminum 3 bay frame
Aluminum dry box
94 qt cooler
8' cataract oars w/ carlisle blades
8" oar towers
Oar locks and straps

Everything in excellent condition, stored off ground in garage offseason.

#429 ·
#435 ·
That might very well take the cake! What do those things go for, a couple hundred at wally world? add an old electric motor and some ply wood and you've got your self one hell of profit margin!

#436 ·
Just out of curiosity I looked at the Sea Eagle website. From what I can see in the picture that boat is a Sea Eagle 9, which is 11 ft. long, not 16 ft. long. Not made of rubber. made of Polykrylar, a heavy gauge vinyl. A brand new Sea Eagle 9 package with the floor and the motor run $729.

I may be wrong, but I don't think rafts appreciate in value. If they do, then I've been selling mine for way too little money!:D