Woodland Power Stove instructions? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2016   #1

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Woodland Power Stove instructions?

I just bought a used woodland power stove off ebay to replace my aging, decrepit blaster. Unfortunately, it didn't come with instructions, and I can't figure out what one of the parts is for! There's a metal ring attached to a wire, hanging off an 8" chain. I can't figure out where it's supposed to fit!

ben94122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016   #2

whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 00
It goes in the burner tube to distribute the flame when you want to use the stove to cook with.
whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #3

cedar city, Utah
It's a dampener and can be used as mentioned above if you want to do something other than flash boil water. It can also be used to transform your power stove into a legal (some places with fire bans and most with firewood collecting bans) woodless fire with the aid of ceramic logs.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What everyone else said. I never use it - even for cooking. It should be noted that I've found that the PS at lower rates tends to have very incomplete combustion thereby blackening the pot/pan you are using. In most cases this is not a problem since we use it primarily for rapidly heating water, but if you want to cook with it at a lower flame, this is something to be aware of.
Old 09-22-2016   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I use the PowerStove for blasting water and with the ceramic logs when only propane flames are permitted. When blasting water, light the stove in the small hole near the bottom. Make sure it isn't sitting too deep in the sand or dig the sand out beneath for the best flame. When using the ceramic logs, place the diffuser ring into the tube and light the top for an orange flame.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #6

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Are the ceramic logs made by woodland power stove? If not what kind of logs do you all use?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #7

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
Are the ceramic logs made by woodland power stove? If not what kind of logs do you all use?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
They used to make a set specific for the PS. Theoretically you could use any ceramic or high temp gas fireplace log for that use. I see their site is now offline - not sure what the state of their business is.

I have a double stove with the stand (here). I found a thread that has a picture of their logs (here) as well as (here).

I really feel they make one of the best products out there - just not sure why they have had so much difficulty. NRS or someone should just buy them.
Old 09-26-2016   #8
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
They used to make a set specific for the PS. Theoretically you could use any ceramic or high temp gas fireplace log for that use. I see their site is now offline - not sure what the state of their business is.

I have a double stove with the stand (here). I found a thread that has a picture of their logs (here) as well as (here).

I really feel they make one of the best products out there - just not sure why they have had so much difficulty. NRS or someone should just buy them.
It was a sweet Grandpa who made this product, we received word a few years back that he was having some health challenges but was overcoming them. When we checked back a few months later we were not able to get in touch with him anymore. We hope what this means is that he has decided to retire and is now traveling the islands on a sail boat singing Jimmy Buffett tunes. We fear that the end of the story may not be that joyful though. It was a great product. We are just selling the Blaster now which is an awesome alternative, while not as light weight it gets the coffee brewing fast and really that is what is important, at least to my river crew Kindly, Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #9

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks!

Thanks for all the info! I was waiting for a replacement acorn nut to arrive before trying it out, but it works great when set up and lit as described. Thanks, and happy floating!
ben94122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #10

Niwot, Colorado
FYI - I've moved all to green acme nuts (200k BTU) for almost all my devices. That and I've pulled out the excess flow check-valve as well. Probably not to code but I've never had an issue.