Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011   #61
Fort Collins, Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Let's talk about your post and how you are not a rafter- that's Fact 1.

Fact 2: Certain rubber weights are heavier than others and therefore hold air better and can be made stiffer through pumping.
WE are talking about the rubber currently on the market. Saturn rafts hold air just as well as any other boat out there.

Fact 3: Lower grade rubber can handle less psi than higher grade rubber and can in fact explode if pinned or wrapped.
If pinned or wrapped = shitty guide behind the oars.

Fact 4: The design of the boat, not only rocker, but shape of the tubes, height of the floor, and design of I-beams make a huge difference in how the boat tracks current and handles waves. The most obvious example is that a cataraft will punch waves, but loves to turn sideways in the wind where a self-bailer may flip, but tracks better in a flat current.
Your point is?

Fact 5: The skill of the oarsman is the single most valuable piece of the equation.
[B] I agree, and river Karma.

Now I'm beginning to think maybe you aren't a boater at all. We read the water so that we can be aware of things like massive lateral waves and gauge the best way to handle them before we get there. It's not about knowing the line most of the time. We are between swims, but that is the nature of a challenge- we win some through skill, experience and adequate gear and we lose some- like any other sport. It wouldn't be a challenge otherwise.
You can read the water all you want and even get in the right place, that does not mean a random lateral wave won't say hello and flip you ass. A river for the most part can be predictable, but you can't take account for the surging action of a river. Sometimes you just get flipped.

By the way, I row a 25 year old Hyside (Sunrunner) and it's been down everything in the Southwest and a few things in Mexico and Tennessee. I recently did a trip with a friend who just bought a Saturn- he had just as much fun on his boat as I had on mine and he didn't have to put air in it every morning. I'm responding because Rivertrollish either has no idea what he's talking about, or is playing us. Who are you really?
Please see bolded items above and I have no idea what I'm talking about yet you still comment back.

Rivertrollish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #62
TakemetotheRiver's Avatar
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,477
Originally Posted by Rivertrollish View Post
Please see bolded items above and I have no idea what I'm talking about yet you still comment back.
This site is designed for exchanging info. Just trying to help.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #63
Boy Howdy!
pinemnky13's Avatar
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,054
Man I never thought this thread was going to turn like this when I started it. I started it to have a little fun and goof out some.

10) I didn't buy a Saturn so I wouldn't have to write a review on it
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #64
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 665
Originally Posted by earthNRG View Post
I see the troll is hungry today...
Is that ever NOT the case? Apparently everyone is a douche. I am amazed this is allowed to continue, even by Buzz standards...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #65
Boy Howdy!
pinemnky13's Avatar
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,054
If i was to be a douche I'd like to be a vinegar one cause I like the way it tastes on my fish n chips
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #66
mr. compassionate's Avatar
conifer, Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Rivertrollish View Post
I didn't buy a Saturn raft because I am an elitist boater. I am also very American in that I feel if a company can charge me more money the product MUST be better. A raft is not a kayak when actual dimensions matter. A raft is either small medium or large, given the specs. This translates into space on a river trip for all your party favors or space for paddlers if you choose to paddle. Thats what rafts do for you folks. A NRS is not gonna protect against a flip if the guide behind the oars doesn't know their shit. So keep hating on Saturn, and know that when you pass a Saturn Raft on the river, they are having just as much fun as you if not more because they saved money in buying the Saturn so they could bring the extra oz. or other party favor. For the most part rafting is a personal thing. When you are on a river trip people do not flock to the NRS or Hyside because the rubber is nice. They flock to the boat because the dude has a lot of beer/ice/hard liquor and some of the best chron out there. The NRS, hyside and Saturn all arrive at the takeout and everyone is happy. I think those Saturn haters out their should all become kayakers so they could actually talk about which boat is better or provides this or that.
RiverT, have you gone off your medication or just a constant case of "the mondays"?
Be careful, you may win douche of the year award on the buzz.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchhill
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #67
Boise, Idaho
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 427
No doubt. "If you flip you flip and fabric won't save you from flipping!" Perhaps there is a type of fabric out there that can save someone from falling off their rocker...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #68
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
RiverT, have you gone off your medication or just a constant case of "the mondays"?
Be careful, you may win douche of the year award on the buzz.

Did I smell a nomination for DB of the month? Seriously Troll, you dont know a damn thing about rafts, so quit pretending you do.

I didn't buy a saturn because I didn't want to have to tell my mom I'm gay
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #69
lhowemt's Avatar
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,346
Jeeze. Do you guys even KNOW what a douche is? How about calling people you want to put down "tampons"? Except there's no cool "bag" word to put at the end of it so you think you sound cool because you've used TWO words to try to slam someone (wow, TWO words). How about calling each other a "tampon string", that uses two words also and is equally stupid and not really something guys want to think about. You could abbreviate it too, to sound uber rad. Just use Tamp. Really, WTF.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #70
wildh2onriver's Avatar
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,197
Originally Posted by Rivertrollish View Post
Thats cause your a douche. You are the one that created this hate of Saturn when you claimed I had one in the other thread. I don't have a Saturn but I think it all depends on what trip your doing. Would I take a Saturn down ruby or some other flat section? Sure I would, I'd also take a pool toy or anything else that floats. I have also seen Saturns with fishing rigs on them which makes sense to me. I would be cautious about the Saturn's on higher classes of water, this is due to the hard floor, I think hard floors turn rafts into flipping machines. Other than that I do not see why you would not like a Saturn raft given the price. I have seen rafts WAY worse then Saturns go down rivers and the people on those rafts seem to be enjoying themselves just as much as the person with the cool NRS or DR boat.. Other than maybe color and durability buying rafts is a racket anyways so if you can find a deal your lucky. The only reason someone would claim there raft is better then yours is cause they are a douche and probably guide in the Ark valley. If someone persists on how much better their raft is than yours, I would recommended that you tell them since their raft is so much better then yours, they should get to carry the groover. You buy a raft for it's durability, nothing else, well maybe self bailing floors too, but other than that your raft is a piece of rubber in which you customize into the pure relaxation machine you make it. Saturn rafts can actually hit a rock and not pop, what else you looking for?
Riverurinetrollish, you amused me for all of two minutes the other night. Now I'm ready to purchase a ticket to the nearest camel jockey oligarchy and train in multiple ways to neutralize you and stuff you in my drag bag. Can you please go away forthwith (perhaps to the Ark Valley where Brown's will more than likely cause you to defecate your g-string and thus terminate your aspiring wannabe rafting career) before I say something that I won't regret such as: suck it douche landfill?

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saturn Raft pnewlin Rafting | Gear Talk 48 04-29-2011 09:52 AM
First raft... NRS vs. Saturn Mtngant Rafting | Gear Talk 52 03-21-2011 01:57 PM
My Saturn Raft Review Hermonbird Rafting | Gear Talk 0 12-05-2010 01:24 PM
The Saturn Raft Project wwcanoeist Whitewater Rafting 16 07-12-2010 10:31 PM
RiverDogHenry BUSTED in Saturn Raft class 3 felon Whitewater Rafting 3 04-12-2009 01:42 PM

» Classified Ads
9' Waterskeeter cataraft

posted by lindscp

Waterskeeter Guide model cataraft with frame, oars, and...

NRS Otter Raft, 14ft

posted by rbigler

Brand new NRS Otter raft purchased in 2015 for family...

14ft Rocky Mountain raft

posted by lawy

14 ft Rocky Mountain raft nrs frame 3 11ft Carlisle oars....

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.