Old 07-07-2015   #1
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2015
which pump

I just bought a badcat cataraft, it did come with a foot pump, but its broken. I use to have one of the 35 dollar DA hand pumps when I had float tubes. What are some good options to look at and not wanting to break the bank.
My badcat is 10' and the tubes I believe are 21" diameter.
Thanks for any advice.

freebird63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #2
I see you are in Boise, head over to Cascade and take a look at some. Wonder pump will get you by, K Pump would be nicer, large barrel pump is probably overkill but would be fast. Electric options too. Depends what you want to spend.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #3
Boise, Idaho
Thank you Osprey. I will do that tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2015   #4
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
I have an electric pump that I got from nrs years ago, and a k-200 pump I've had even longer. I typically take both and blow up my raft, Duck, or mini cat super quick. I have blown up all with just the k-pump. Takes a while but very solid. It's easy to strap down and store while on the water. It's been submerged, banged up.. It's just solid. If I could go back I may buy one size bigger, but very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #5
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I have keep a fast electric pump for the truck, then I keep a K-pump on the boat during the float. I can't stand foot pumps myself but that is just me.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #6
Boise, Idaho
I watched a few video's by aire and they use that 4 inch barrel pump. That thing is slick, but am not sure I need to spend that kinda money. Been looking at those K pumps.
Old 07-08-2015   #7
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
4" barrel pump is a better choice for inflating from empty than the K pump, IMO.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #8
Take a tube down there when you go to test them out.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #9
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a K200 $90, a airhead electric pump $40, and a 5" nrs barrel pump $209... I take the big barrell pump if i'm taking my big boat and there are people that might need a raft blown up. It's a bit overkill for your boat.. For my tandem IK and what you are talking about I take the electric pump and the K200.. blow it up with the electric and then firm it up with the k pump and pack the k pump..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #10
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You are actually dealing with two different factors. 1) volume, and 2) pressure. Filling the empty volume of a tube takes most of the effort, because you are filling empty space. Once you've gotten most of the volume filled, raising pressure is fairly easy. I don't trailer, so have put fair study into the subject, and talked to NRS, who educated me on this.

I deal with the volume problem with an old LVM 12v pump, that fills the tube, but leaves me at around 1#, which makes for a soggy row. I use a couple of different hand pumps to top-off and bring up my pressure. At 1#, my little K-100 will get me to 3# fairly quickly. I spent 6 months this winter waiting for an NRS 12v Bravo pump, which in theory will get to +13#s, only to discover that a high pressure pump produces amazingly low volume. Great for low volume/high pressure tubes like SUPs, tediously slow for high volume/low pressure tubes like a 14' SB. So, the best pump choice is highly variable, depends on what you want to,fill.

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote