Mountain Buzz banner

Which mini raft?

8K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  almortal 
#1 ·
Tributary 9.5, RMR Phatcat or RMR Storm are the options I have been looking at.

What I want is something that's...

• Works R2-R4
  • Could be carried in to local creeky runs on a backpack by one person
  • A solid boat for running class 4
  • Under 2K

Any suggestions as to which would suit best?

Cheers,

#3 ·
I think R4 would be a tight fit for the 9.5 foot boats like the Trib and Mini Me. Doable, but tight quarters. R2 all day though and I bet R3 would be fun too.

I think the paddle cat would be hard to do more then R2.

From what I've seen, the paddle cats are more forgiving then the rafts of the same size. For that reason alone, I'd probably go with the PaddleCat. The storm is a cool little boat though, so you probably couldn't go wrong with that. If your really plan to do R4 often, the Storm is probably the way to go.

If you plan on carrying in to creeks often, it might be worth a look at the Hyside Mini-Max. Its 12 pounds lighter and rolls up better. $2500 though.

#4 ·
Had a 9.5 trib

I had a 9.5 Tributary it was a lot of fun. Did R2 and R3 just fine but would have liked the extra foot of a 10.5 Could do R4 but would be tight. Granted I am a big guy. As for packing it in. It weight around 60 to 70 pounds and rolled tight it was kind of cumbersome. But I could put it in the back of my Outback with all the gear and paddles and still have seating for 4. Good luck have fun.

#6 ·
Storm is gonna roll up a little big for a backpack and at 80lbs wont be that fun to carry. You may be able to hook it up into one of those strap packs but it isnt a small package. Storm is the only one that will r-4 well. The trib will r-4 but will be pretty tight and the phatcat isnt really made for 4. Your smallest package will be the phatcat and the cat nature of it will run steeper stuff a little cleaner and fits your needs the best barring the r-3/4. If you need r-4 and dont mind a bulky 80 lb pack the storm is your answer.

#7 ·
I love my Culebra, would be too tight for more then r-2 though, not the best for bracing in maybe, but an AWESOME boat otherwise. Can break it down too. I do a lot of overnights with mine, leave the thwarts in, and put a one bay raft frame on it.

#8 ·
I was looking at similar criteria and went with a Phatcat.
It fails on on the R4 end (R3 only with a couple littles), but wins in packability; 53# vs 80#ish for a similar round boat. Shredder is really the winner; think that it's Hypalon and <40#. I just got a better deal and faster with the Phatcat.
Psyched to run an oar frame on it as well!

#9 ·
Expand your options

Tributary 9.5, RMR Phatcat or RMR Storm are the options I have been looking at.

What I want is something that's...

• Works R2-R4
  • Could be carried in to local creeky runs on a backpack by one person
  • A solid boat for running class 4
  • Under 2K
Any suggestions as to which would suit best?

Cheers,
Your choices consist of 3 non domestic craft; sorta like a shit sandwich, crap burger, and a veggie pizza. Advertisers have told you how to think. Reject their input and think outside the box.

#10 ·
I will 2nd that the paddle cat will really only function for R2ing and that the Trib 9.5 would be really tight for 4. The Storm is your best option, but if weight is seriously an issue do consider the extra cash on the Hyside; my mini-max packs smaller than my buddy's phat cat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.