Which hand pump for cataraft - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-26-2016   #11

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I'm happy with the K100 as a top off pump for my cats. We use either a 12v inflator with a battery, or at Lodore this year used my Big Red pump (love that unit) since there's an electrical outlet there.

duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2016   #12
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I feel like you are missing a major option, the wonder pump.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #13

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
K40 all the way. It is 2 pumps in one. It has been the perfect pump for us.
2 pumps in one??

I also like the K40 for my onboard pump. Mostly due to the size. It may take a few extra pumps to tighten it up but you (usually) only have to tighten it once in the morning and it is worth the smaller size taking up less room in the drybox.

I got rid of every foot operated or pump or anything with a hose. Those are all PITA pumps.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #14

Sandpoint, Idaho
Wonder Pump is too cheap. I have an innate distrust of the cheapest option. Across the board, almost, you get what you pay for. Yes, it is true, that often people use, and survive on the full range of options, including the cheapest. However, I am not looking for the cheapest. I value ergonomics, durability, functionality, and, the 'feeling' of a well built tool.

When I finally see a 'wonder pump', 'in the flesh', if it is truly an engineering marvel, I will recall your recommendation, and possibly lament my pre-judgement ( I did read some reviews for this pump) of this pump.

Cheap, is not an important attribute to me, for a pump. Ergonomic, easy to use, energy efficient, space efficient, reliability, and longevity, those are the qualities that count. Buy once, cry once.
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #15

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Which hand pump for cataraft

I have a k pump 220, 100, wonder pump,and a Carlson 4". I also have a bravo electric that can go up to 15psi. 90% of the time I am pumping my raft I use the 4" Carlson. I am thinking of getting a 6" because it will fill the raft faster. When it comes to pumping, less is more! The 220 rides with me on the raft as a backup or top off pump. I never use it. I got it to fill up paddle boards. It worked but was no fun. After using the 220 a couple of times I gave up and got the bravo pump instead and that is totally the way to go with sups. I would hate to have to use the 220 to pump up a raft. Whatever you're deciding between, get the big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #16

Sandpoint, Idaho
An update... I purchased the K40 pump. A few days after it arrived, I went for a float with a friend who has the 4" Carlson.

I went with the K40 after I realized the weight difference, of 3lbs, vs 7lbs.

Also, the K pump moves more air, at 1.2gal/ stroke, vs. .9 gal/ stroke.

The smaller size is great.

And, ergonomically, for the location of the valves on my Aire Ocelot, the pump works great.

Finally, I found it for more than $100 less than the Carlson, would have made the same decision if the prices were reversed.

Win...
Old 09-06-2016   #17

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
K40!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charliesheenwiningduh.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	12295  
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016   #18
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
Wonder Pump is too cheap. I have an innate distrust of the cheapest option. Across the board, almost, you get what you pay for. Yes, it is true, that often people use, and survive on the full range of options, including the cheapest. However, I am not looking for the cheapest. I value ergonomics, durability, functionality, and, the 'feeling' of a well built tool.

When I finally see a 'wonder pump', 'in the flesh', if it is truly an engineering marvel, I will recall your recommendation, and possibly lament my pre-judgement ( I did read some reviews for this pump) of this pump.

Cheap, is not an important attribute to me, for a pump. Ergonomic, easy to use, energy efficient, space efficient, reliability, and longevity, those are the qualities that count. Buy once, cry once.
Hey that was meant as a joke!
I can't imagine actually wanting a wonder pump, there's a reason I own a Carlson!
Old 09-06-2016   #19

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have had the k400 for the past 4 years and it's been a great pump. I rarely use the hp option so a k100 would have probably sufficed.

But now I'm considering moving to a barrel pump.

On a similar note, I created an hose attachment for my K-400 with a leafield adapter on the end. Just screw it on and pump from where ever you are. It makes me wonder why most pumps don't come with interchangeable (or at least order-able) hose adapters.
Old 09-07-2016   #20

Sandpoint, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Hey that was meant as a joke!
I can't imagine actually wanting a wonder pump, there's a reason I own a Carlson!

Hah! Ya never know...

Tags
cataraft