Old 08-22-2016   #11
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post

I also appreciate the input on frames. I have looked at the NRS sport cat frames but I'm not sure I like it.
I have used regular NRS drop rails on 19" By 11' tubes before, and don't think I would have liked the shorter sport cat rails, seemed to small.

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #12
Top Quality River Gear
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Personally I row the 14 x 22 Maravia and just started rowing a cat last year! She is fabulous and very forgiving, I thought about the 12 x 22 and decided on the longer tubes for more stability until I get both braver and better at it. I am a lover of paddling little boats in big water, this rowing thing is new to me. Last year I rowed the NRS Sport Cat Frame and I loved it; I would say the biggest drawback was the weight of it, other than that I could move my rails around depending on how I was setting it up for the trip. This year I am rowing a Class V Frame and my main cargo module weighs 35lbs. which makes it awesome for this girl, I can finally load up my boat and gear by myself and get to the river(and it's beautiful)! Then I have a cargo module I can add when doing multi day trips. All that being said you may want to look at the Madctr too, another lightweight frame that is versatile and very cool.

One of my "lessons learned" this season was when in wind put more weight in the boat to keep you more in the current, my boat is light and rides high when it's empty which had me blowing up river. I hope that helps, lucky girls getting a boat WAHOO!

Keep it Right Side Up, Renee

Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post
Thanks for all of the input. The first boat I thought about getting was a 14 ft Aire Wave Destroyer. I thought it might be a bit squirrely for a first boat. It sounds like most think that would be a fine first boat.

I also appreciate the input on frames. I have looked at the NRS sport cat frames but I'm not sure I like it. I also want to put a floor in it for her. I think she will feel more secure. I like the looks of the DRE Arkansas frames though.

I also like the suggestion of counter balanced oars. I'll probably let her use oar rights too I don't personally like the weights or the rights but I think they would be a big help for her.

Unfortunately she will probably have to "share" it with her sisters as they get older unless we need to add something else to the fleet!

Thanks for the input!
Consider the external weights from Cataract then. Gives you the ability to balance the oars by adjusting where you mount the weights, and to change that for a heavier feel if desired. Or remove them altogether if someone favors an oar without counterbalancing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #14
Gary F
Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
A cat is an interesting boat. I had a 16 foot jaguarundii. When loaded very lightly it is like a water spider. It was awesome as a day/play boat. However, loaded with a weeks worth of gear, you know, big cooler, small cooler, big dry box, many rocket boxes, it was such a pig, it just wouldn't pivot. Yes, I made sure the load was balanced. A personal thing for me, I hated getting so wet all of the time as I tend to run cold a lot. I went back with a raft. Also, my passengers who have had experience in both a cat boat and a raft definitely prefer riding in a raft as they can get more comfortable ie. laying down across the boat and, they feel more secure.

kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote