Old 04-20-2011   #21
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Ihowemt - Sounds like you like the two stage K-pump? I have a single stage model, and was thinking of either an upgrade, or maybe the 4 inch DRE shorty.
My rafting partner carries a 6 inch Carlson, and my other pump is a double action cheapo that has somehow held up for 8 years. My friend calls my double action "The back beater pump."
Yes, and it is the little 40. It packs so nice, esp on my little cat. We may be flying into Boundary late August this year, will be making sure there is a Carlson on the trip if we do fly (wilderness, no motorized pumps). I've seen people blow up boats with K pumps, but it looked painful and I don't even want to think about it.

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #22
Boise, Idaho
I would say Carlson...4 or 6 inch depending on cash flow and storage space. I got my 4 inch for 150 bucks, which was over 100 less than the 6(local army navy store had it priced low for some reason).

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a 4" barrel pump which is burly and well made. Lately, I have just been taking an old hypalon footpump that came with my old Achilles dingy (had it for 20 years). I found that while the barrel pump pushes more air, since the foot pump is much more ergonomic, its easier to pump longer. Plus commercial quality foot pumps are way cheaper than a barrel, and since it compresses, it takes up as much space as a college textbook, and weighs much less too.

BTW-don't get the crappy Bravo pump- mine is wood with a hypalon bellows like this: Foot Pump
or this one:
Bigfoot Footbellows Air Pump

Like I said, I've had mine for 20 years and it is still going strong
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #24
salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks got me thinking
hpp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #25
Boise, Idaho
I bought a Wild Water Aqua Lung short barrel to accommodate my HO sports electric pump. I have had it 1 season and am satisfied with it. Seems to pump just as well as my friends Carlson's and saved me some coin. Although the Carlson gets you a 10 year warranty...not too shabby.
mora2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #26
salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
umm warranty are they good at honoring them? Or do their pumps usually outlast warranty? anyone know?
hpp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #27
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lol...suck n blow...awesome pumps!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #28
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Posts: 435 can get the big name brands and it will last for ever, but I bought a Walmart air mattress inflater for $4 and it has been awesome! Inflate my 16ft at the house, then I get my Walmart barrel pump $12 looks and performs just like the other name brands mentioned here, put my boat in the water and pump up a little and I'm on my way. Was on the river 1-2 times a week in my boat and my $16 investment is PERFECT.
Oh.....I did put an NRS sticker over the $12 barrel pump! ha ha.
This sport doesn't have to be THAT expensive if you use your head.
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #29
Originally Posted by hpp10 View Post
I've also heard the cheap double action pumps can work fine as well
the cheap double action pumps do work just fine for topping off. they just aren't considered a one time investment like the others. not as easy to pump and takes a bit more maintenance but for $35 or whatever they are get you by just fine. That's all I've had for the last 5 or 6 years.

Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't suck to re-inflate from scratch on river after a repair, but honestly how often are you really going to have to do that. I have inflated a 14'er with a Bravo Wonder 6 and while it wasn't fun, it just took awhile. I'll probably pick up a decent pump someday but I've definitely gotten my money worth.

White Water Design's EZ pumps are another more solid pump at better prices to check out.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #30
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I have heard good things about the Suck N Blow pumps, but I have never seen one on the river or in a store? Are they sold in any stores, or only from Rangley?

muttster is offline   Reply With Quote