Old 12-31-2015   #1
RED CLIFF, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
What's in your kitchen box?

I'm building up my kitchen box and was curious what is everyone's essentials in their kitchen boxes. Pots and pans and anything else. I'm looking to stock up for a 12 person trip. Also would be advice for what is good for materials of the pots and pans. Is Teflon bad? Ceramic or strictly cast iron? What's the best?
Kitchen box containers as far as dry box or nrs box or pelican case is good advice as well. Just curious what others are using.

Thanks guys!

DIRIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma

I have been using the above as a cook box for several years. Also on many trips just as a waterproof container for gear.

Actually it has worked better for me than a real aluminum stand up kitchen box. My box does set on the ground most of the time. I put cooking gear no food in my box so that reduces the need to have a elevated setup.

I was very dubious of the system of elastic cords really working. Then the box was upside down in river current for quite a while and the box did not leak.

No connection to the company at all, just purchased one and so far it has worked as advertised for me.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015   #3
RED CLIFF, Colorado
Thanks, yeah I'm looking to just keep kitchen stuff like plates, pots and pans and cutting boards in the box. Just curious as to WHAT pots and pans do you put in there, I'd like to have a box that is just overall a grab and go box that I don't have to load every time.
Old 12-31-2015   #4
NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
No Teflon... unless you like it in your food over time. Cast iron or stainless steel cookware is ideal.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015   #5
RED CLIFF, Colorado
What about ceramic?
Old 12-31-2015   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
I made something similar to this, filled with kitchen tools from the good will.

It hangs from the table, so all the things you need are easy to get to.
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #7
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Pots and pans and plates and bowls and cups that all fit inside one another are key. Takes up less space in the box, which is good when supplying at 12 person crew.
Stainless steel is great for pots. A cast iron pan or griddle is a must for camping. Ceramic is good for pans only being used on a propane or gas stove, plus easy to clean..bring some plastic cooking spoons or a spatula for the ceramic to avoid scratching the nonstick surface to much. Ceramic may weigh more than stainless steel of the same size.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #8
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
paper plates, chop sticks, a D.O. and a 2 qt pot.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #9
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I use an original York pack for my kitchen for 8( bigger size of the 2 options) a coleman stove also fits in there, and cooking oil. Most things came from target, tried to find the lightest plastic bowls and plates I could. Stainless pot, carcinogenic Teflon pans, colander, big bowl, utensils, foil and the like, pizza tray makes great back up lid, plus we use it to make upside down pizza, and cake. We keep the D.O. in dry box to save weight and space. Kitchen Has rope handles for carrying by 2 people, 1 can manage it ok.
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What's in your kitchen box?

For me, the kitchen was designed to fit inside a Mojave box because it fits well in my cat. It's light and watertight. I found square plastic plates at Target that just fit through the gamma lid. The key finds were a SS Stansport cook set from Sportsmans warehouse for about $80 that just fits and a fishing tackle box to organize utensils from the dollar store.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote