Old 01-02-2016   #11
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
My personal pet peeve is crappy kitchen utensils, particularly spatulas and spoons that have handles with no "backbone". A lot of nylon utensils designed for "non-stick" pots and pans fall into this category. Try to use the thing to pick up a slice of cake and it will bend almost double. Completely useless piece of crap! Find kitchen utensils with either metal or wooden handles. You can find some with rigid plastic handles, too, but if they break, they will shatter. Wood or metal is better. There are lots of choices out there and ironically, the good stuff is not the most expensive stuff.

Also, try to find a beefy can opener. Look at the reviews on Amazon to find something that will withstand a gorilla's grip. It's going to get abused, just count on it, so maybe buy two so you have a back up available.

Finally, DO NOT use a wire brush to clean your grill! Every year a handful of people end up in the hospital (or dead) when they ingest a piece of wire that broke off when the grill was cleaned after its prior use. If ingested, those short bits of wire will perforate your gut and the only way you're gonna survive is with surgery. Not worth the risk!!! Use a scraper instead.

landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #12
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
What's in your kitchen box?

My kitchens over the years have always had the best compromise of available utensils, dishes and cookware, seemed to work well. I never charged people for losses and damage -- I didn't really worry too much. It always got me on trips and was the cost of doing those trips, which was not a big deal for me. Then I became the groover boat, with partner steel groovers. One time investment -- no damage or loss ever. Just a clean out fee added to the trip. Done by waste management professionals for $10. a box. Loved carrying shit.

That got me on so many amazing trips over the years, especially when I got burned out organizing and trip leading every trip with the group I used to have to herd cats with.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #13
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I'm with landslide. To many people use worn out crap in their camp kitchen. I try and find top notch stuff cause it sucks to be without. I have recently switched to anodized aluminum Dutch ovens and carry a GSI pressure cooker. It is a great pot but being able to do real rice in about 8-10 minutes is real nice. Also works great with a steamer for heating burritos and tomales and such. I carry the blue metal plates and bowls. I know they are heavy but I like eating off them. I also carry good quality knives and a steel and lots of cutting boards. Those thin plastic boards are nice plus a few of the thicker rigid ones. I carry my silverware in a tray like you have at home in your drawer. I cover it with a cutting board and a cam strap keeps it together. I go to the auto parts store and grap a bundle of shop rags. They are great washable napkins and great for cleanup.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #14
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I love me some shop rags, but make sure to pre-wash them, maybe even several times. Many of the packs that I've gotten have bled red dye all over when used in water. Leaves your hands- and everything else- pink.

I also second the can opener sentiment. Shitty can openers piss me right off and are liable to be thrown.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #15
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Have some bamboo cooking utensils, they have been awesome. Thanks for grill brush warning!

Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote