Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 06-03-2014   #1
Cave Creek, Arizona
What size rafts can you get away with not having a tralier?

I figure the 9-10' rafts should be fine without a trailer, but what about a 12'? Is it small enough to be able role and transport it inside a big car/SUV? I know rolling them isn't exactly recommended, but we do not have a place to store a trailer or a vehicle to tow one.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014   #2
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I can put my 13' maravia in the back of a subie.

You can put a 16' NRS in the same subie.

Hypalon boats do awesome rolled. You can fold most boats without any issues if you do it right.

Check out the video below

Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014   #3
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I roll my 13.5 ft Urethane boat and put it in the back of vehicles all the time. No issues.

Rolling a boat isn't a big deal unless you are going to keep it that way for a prolonged period of time - or otherwise put it in circumstances that it wasn't made for.
but can you see its opposition | comes a-rising up sometimes | that it's dreadful and position | comes blacking in my mind | ....and then I see a darkness
laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014   #4
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I think a lot of folks fail to suck the air out before they try to roll a boat. I've got a Sotar cat and a Zephyr- and folks say you can't roll either one. I've gotten them into the original case/box each time I've tried without any problems. I can understand not leaving them in that state for, say, a winter....but to roll for the trip to the river doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I don't like the feel of a hypalon boat on the river, so for me the trade off in ease of folding is a non-issue. I didn't buy my boat to put it in a closet. They both roll just fine when necessary.
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014   #5
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I roll and pickup truck a 14' vanguard PVC raft. I load it on an extra wide furniture dolly and have a pully system to pull it up a couple of old motorcycle ramps. It took awhile to sort all that out and make it work, but now I handle a +150lb raft solo, and mostly onehanded. I don't have extra license plate expense, no extra trailer insurance, bearings never fail at Westwater, etc, and overnight on the road it's locked up inside a pickup shell. After the first time I got it up the ramps with the pully, I stopped looking at trailers. Avoiding that expense makes pretty much all other toys look cheap.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #6
Cle Elum, Washington
Paddling Since: 1972
I worked at a raft rental company for years and saw hundreds of trips go without a trailer. We used to put 2-16' rafts with boxes, frames, and oars in, (and on), a single truck easy.

My new rig is a 16' raft and I pack it into a short-bed truck with cooler, dry box, and gear for 4 with room for beer and a dog.
Fishnfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #7
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
My 14ft Hyside (Hypalon) will roll up to fit in the backseat of my Subaru Legacy SEDAN, even though getting it in or out isn't exactly simple.

My 14ft NRS Revo (Urethane) and frame usually rides on a cargo carrier on the back hitch. Even though this boat is about 2xs the size of the hyside rolled-it'll fit into the back hatch of most SUVs (I say "most", but I have been able to get it in all I have tried so far).

I really like usuing my cargo carrier, makes it super easy to load/unload and doesn't matter if the boat is soaking wet and muddy. I also allows easier access than a trailer to some of the "less maintained" rural boat launches I use too.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #8
Cave Creek, Arizona
Thanks for the replies everyone. Gives me more confidence in buying a raft when the time comes.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #9
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Even the canyon rigs at 18' are rolled at the end of every trip.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #10
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
13' maravia, strap to the roof of the suburban inflated. Rolled in a Cherokee with frame on roof. Rubber boats roll good.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote