Old 06-19-2014   #21
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
when looking to buy a raft, always get something that can do it's most demanding task.
I tend to go the other way, look for a boat that suits what you will be doing most of the time. An 18 footer will serve you well for overnighters with that big group, but that is too much boat for day floats on everything but the Colorado for all but 4 weeks out of the year. Determine your most likely type of trip and look for the appropriate boat. Your situation will probably require two boats, one for each purpose.

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #22
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by verendus View Post
If you'll be doing day trips only, 14-15' will work well with a stern frame and the rest of the family paddling for fun. If you have multi-day in mind (even an overnighter), you should consider 16'. I run multiday trips with my family of 6 for 4-5 days in Aire 156D. .

I run an Aire Super Puma with Myself, the Wife and 2 Kids (age 7 and 4) and the dog. It is tight with everybody on a multiday trip. I think the Aire 156E would be a great boat. Family paddle raft, stern frame, gear frame, this boat could do it all. You might have to get more specialty gear (smaller). A ducky or SUP for the older kids to learn skills that you could tow behind would be great and allow you to get into boating without 2 boats.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #23
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Yes a self bailer. Yes hypalon if you'll be shoving that boat into the back of a wagon. I row a 14' and have used it with a frame and 6-7 people on half day trips. 2-3 up front and 2-3 in back. The littler kids end up kneeling on the floor or leaning against the tubes where ever. It's tight but works.

For camping trips with my 14 footer, the rower plus 3 adults/older kid passengers max. And even then 2 up front is more comfortable for longer trips. No way a 14 footer alone would work for 5 kids and 2 adults for a camping trip. Even with just a family of 4, as our family gets older I'll probably be moving up to a 15', maybe 16'. But we've also moved away from day trips and seem to focus more on multi day trips now a days. Duckies or a second raft for camping trips is excellent advice.

The nice part of buying whatever you decide is that used raft will pretty much keep its value after a season or 2 in case you need to change equipment. It seems like the length really depends on what your planning on doing most of the time. I wouldn't do anything over 16' though. I had an 18 footer briefly. That thing was a beast. Heavy. Difficult to move around, rolls into a bigger package. Not really practical without a trailer, and even then it was a monster.

All that to say I'd buy the largest raft that you can practically get down the runs you plan on doing the majority of the time.

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote