Old 05-25-2016   #11
Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
Trevko...Where do you get a black rock 150 for 20% off?
It was a partner post a few days ago:

Black Rock Coolers Memorial Day Sale

trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #12
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Two coolers, one you use most of the time, one you add for that week long trip you do once a year. Buy igloos so you can afford them, and take good care of your coolers so they hold ice( wet towel, pads of some sort on all sides, open and close quickly etc.) Buy the spensive coolers if you got the funds.
My brilliant thoughts at least.

"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #13
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've done two trips in the last month, one 7 days (Desolation) and one 5 days (Yampa) in the desert (with some rainy days) with an Igloo 175 that has a custom made pad on top. I had ice left over after both trips and I was pretty liberal with opening it and getting stuff out. I did use a day cooler on the 7 day trip, but the 5 day trip was fine. One of the guys on the Yampa had a cheap iglo that he spent less then $100 and it worked fine for that amount of time. IMHO, you only really need the super big and nice coolers for trips like the Grand Canyon. People got by with the Igloo's before the advent of the newer better insulated ones just fine, so just get one of those and add some insulation and have good cooler etiquette.

I really like the look of the Engel coolers. Downriver carries them and they claim to be the first of the sort of cooler that Yeti now seems to dominate. Still kinda spendy, but not as bad as Yeti. Their small day use coolers look awesome and are water tight.

If you really only need a big good cooler once a year, it might be worth looking around to see if a local outfitter rents them.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #14
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks Trevko.

I have used the $99 costco 165 qt. Igloo cooler for many years on longer trips and it has performed just fine. On shorter trips I still use it because it fills the space so well and just bring a piece of foam to put on top so that it doesn't have to cool as much air space.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #15
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Really, the cooler size you need depends on what kind of food you bring. We like to have as much fresh or frozen meals as we can. We also like cold beer, but it's not like your going to fill the damn thing with beer. Well, some might.

We've only been doing mutliday trips for 9 years, but our go to cooler for most trips, be it a weekend or 8 day trip is a cheap 120 qt igloo cooler. We've modified it a a little with 1'' ethafoam glued to the top and foil bubble wrap lining the inside. We've compartmentalized it with foam board to turn a 1/3 of it into a freezer section that we put dry ice in. For us, 120 qt. seems just about right for anything short of the GC. For the GC we bought a 150 Igloo Yukon cooler and it's killer, but it's big and heavy. I'd take it on the Main though. August on the can't have too much ice for your beers.

Be careful with Yeti and Engel "sizes". If you use their interior measurements, the Yeti 160 is only 135 qt. and the 125 is only 107 qt. Engel isn't any better.

BTW, Doing the math on the Blackrock coolers, they seem to be true to size. Sale going on now. I have to admit, I'm eyeing the 110 qt.

FWIW, 57.4 CI = 1 qt.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #16
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
What size cooler do you have on your 16 raft?

Those small day coolers that Engle sells are good as a captains box. They will let a bit of water in but not bad, unless you flip. They hold ice for an hour or two max so don't think of them as a cooler.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #17
Evergreen, Colorado
150 Qt. Igloo Cooler
120 Qt Igloo Cooler $25
Orca 140qt Rotomolded Cooler
Rubbermaid cooler
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #18
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I rock a Yeti 160 in my boat it fits perfectly between the tubes. Helps support and doesn't shift around like when using a smaller cooler. Nice big deck to get around on. Not cheap by any means but buy the best you can afford and only buy once. Which ever way you go, happy boating!
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #19
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
Those small day coolers that Engle sells are good as a captains box. They will let a bit of water in but not bad, unless you flip. They hold ice for an hour or two max so don't think of them as a cooler.

Bummer....they looked like nice coolers (as coolers). I guess I'll look elsewhere if its only gonna last that long with ice.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016   #20
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I have the same raft as you. I ended up going with a yeti 125. In reality it is probably 110-120 quarts. I chose this size because it fits in the boat well and still allows me to carry a water jug in a sling in the same bay as the cooler. 110-120 qts is just a great size. This size lets you fit everything for 3-4 day trips. Or food and some drinks 5-6 days. It will still hold all your food for a week, but you better bring your drag bag and/or another cooler for drinks. Anything larger than my 125 and it'd be too much to move around myself. As far as ice retention I've had ice left over after every trip from 3-4 days to a summer GC 16 day. But in all honesty cooler management is more important than the cooler's price tag.

I've used the yeti for car camping. It works but it is big. Plus no way I'm leaving that thing in an unattended camp all day.

So now I have 3 coolers. The yeti is my goto raft cooler for everything multi day. A $50 100 qt is my car camping cooler, and also works surprisingly well in 100+ temps as a second rafting cooler on extended (long) trips. I also picked up a 27qt engel. Only had it out once but it got me through a 48 hour car camping trip with terrible cooler management. We'll see how it works as a captains cooler/side box.

I don't think just 1 cooler would work for me between between rafting and car camping from day to week long trips. So I choose to rock a quiver of coolers.

Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
I've got a 16 ft NRS raft with 47" between the tubes. A Yeti Tundra 160 (150 qt) fits the space well, but I only need that size maybe once a year for our longer float trips. For long weekend use and for car camping it would be overkill (plus crazy expensive). The Canyon Cooler Prospector 103 (103 qt) seems to be better suited for rafting (long and low, frame rail tie-down points, easy to access drain location, sits on rails, nice basket layout). That size would be more suited for long weekends and car-camping, but is it big enough for week-long desert float trips?

What size coolers do you have on your 16 foot boat? How long have you gone out for with that size?

Anyone know of any coolers that are long and low like the Prospector rather than short and tall like all the rest?

Anyone know if RTIC is going to be making larger sizes any time soon?

OregonRafter is online now   Reply With Quote