Old 01-29-2016   #1
Denver, Colorado
What pulleys, other rescue and z-drag questions.

What pulleys are you folks running in a flip/z-drag kit?
Need to set one up for the boat and looking to source three or so. I hadn't heard of Dyneema but after reading that thread, it is better than the standard bluewater static line I was planning on getting? Something else I shoudl be looking at???
Thanks for letting me know other tips or tools in a flip/rescue/z drag kit. Hope to practice some this spring when it's not necessary and would like to have the best informed gear around, which I know is no replacement for good experience and cool headedness in emergencies.

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016   #2
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I use Rock Exotica pulls and Rock Exotica ORCA carabiners. They are a twist lock 'biner that are easy to operate one handed. I didn't buy any of it until I did a swift water rescue type class with some great instructors. One of them really put the math into perspective for me.
I have a 200' strand of 13 mm Bluewater waterline. It floats, and is long enough for most of the types of rivers I run. My prussic cord is 8 mm, nothing too fancy. They are the weak link in your rig, prussic are most likely to slip at around 1800 lbs of force or break at about 2400 lbs. My main line can handle at least double that, maybe triple, I can't remember now. I'm a rafter so big rope makes sense for me, I would never carry this kit for kayaks. I have 2 single pulleys, I may purchase a double pulley just for the hell of it.
Practice in groups. You can bounce ideas off of each other and learn to work things out together. Take a course, they are worth every penny.

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016   #3
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have about 150' of blue water static, nrs pulley's, locking D carabiners, 2 prussic cords, and a couple of good hunks of tubular webbing, along with a spare pfd in my wrap kit.

The spare pfd is key in my opinion, I clip it into the carabiner closest me, so that if something fails in the system, a broken carabiner or d- ring will be slowed down by the pfd if it comes flying toward me at mach 10. Imagine getting hit by a piece of broken metal at that kinda speed, Yikes!

I definitely second paying for a White water rescue course, worth every penny! And practice.
My instructor only wanted us setting up 3-1 systems, his rational being that a more powerful system was more likely to break gear, a 3-1 should do the trick most of the time anyway, if a boat is wrapped, proper angle of peel and pull is more important then force. Also, the prussic cord probably is what will break first, just protect yourself incase somethin else goes.
Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016   #4
Fraser, Colorado
By the way, I have only ever used a z-drag to flip upside down gear boats, probably unwrapped at least 5 rafts so far, and never once needed a z-drag, you can do a lot with a flip line, or throw rope and boy scout pull. But the z-drag is still a very valuable tool incase you do need it.
Old 01-30-2016   #5
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the tips, need to check my older petzl pulleys and see the weight ratings, may be good. I plan on taking a swiftwater rescue course, maybe this summer, just trying to figure it all out.
Anybody got any great leads on expensive ropes and pulleys at the best price?
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016   #6
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
You can find used climbing gear on eBay or at outdoor consignment shops
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016   #7
Fraser, Colorado
And be sure to go with static rope, you would not want dynamic, as it would stretch and waste your energy pulling.

Good on ya for making an effort to learn about boating, by the way, far to many people just don't even really try, and then just muck it all up and act like a complete goober.

The difference between education and learning, education is something somebody crams down your throat, learning is something you actually make an effort at, take initiative, invest in, on your own.

I all way's have respect when I see someone puting in the effort to learn about something they want to do.
Old 02-01-2016   #8
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
That Amsteel Blue is some spendy rope! I am intrigued by the no load properties. I don't want to be a one eyed pirate. I have been looking for the right rope for my pin kit. How easy is it to pull? I was around a lot of 10mm ropes in my climbing days. I'm not sure I could have hung from one. Also,what kind of prussik cords and pulleys do you use with your system. Thanks
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #9
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
I really like the Petzl Mini pulleys. They're lightweight, powerful, and work well with prusiks. Here's the link:

In our commercial safety kits we use a heavier duty pulley for working with fully loaded 18' rafts. These work great for pretty much everything else.
Zachary Collier
Northwest Rafting Company
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #10
NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
I use 5mm Tech Cord for prussic loops in my wrap kit. That makes my 1" webbing the weak link and I am happy with that.

heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote