Old 05-08-2014   #11
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Here is what is listed for my base kit and I add if I need anything special. There are probably a few extras thrown in I don't have on my checklist, but can't think of them. I can make whatever I need to with it:

big spoon
Cut Board
stove rack
Napkins/Paper Towels
offee press
Cooking Stove/ Fuel(sometimes)
can opener
cooking basket (sometimes)
mess kit (2 pots, 1 pan)

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #12
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Define "kitchen box"? Everyone has their own idea and way of implementing. York box has been mentioned, but I know folks that use other size boxes. Then there are the kitchen box dry boxes, like the Eddy Out kitchen box from NRS (what I have). And there are other sizes of similar dry box type kitchen boxes.

The size of said kitchen box (and shape in some cases) is going to dictate to a degree what you can put in there. you'd be amazed how much you can get in it though, if you pack and unpack it enough times in the garage before your first trip with it... LOL

In addition to mud of what has already been posted, I put my coleman 2 burner stove, propane tree and blaster in there. One of these days I plan to free up some space by getting the partner 4 burner stove that fits in an ammo can, so the 2 burner coleman will come out!

I also carry a small roll of aluminum foil, a small bottle of oil, a spray on oil (Pam or whatever).

I put three rectangular wash tubs in there (wash, rinse and bleach). They hold a bunch of the other stuff and fit perfectly in there. Also include the small bottles of dish soap and bleach.

If there is space left over, I'll also through in hand washing station, hand soap, hand sanitizer and hand lotion, but often times someone else brings all that as it's own little setup.

I'll also through in some bluetooth iPod speakers if there is space.

I usually have a roll of hang wipes in there as well, but I like the napkin idea - may try that next time. I like the jandiwipes because they are already in a nice little container that packs neatly and doesn't get all wadded up in the box when people go rifling through it. I hate bags for that reason, I try to find plastic containers for EVERYTHING if I can.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #13
Thronton, Colorado
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Collapsible trash rocks. Stands up, stays open, holds a large garbage bag & folds up flat for storage in the boat.
What kind and where did you get it? Been wanting one myself. Found one at a paint store once, but it was HUGE. Would like one that is smaller, enough to hold a days worth of trash. The one I saw was enough for several weeks worth... LOL
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
This is what I can pack and it takes up 2 kitchen boxes plus some boat space for table and propane.

Kitchen Gear for 16
Camp Chef 2 -20,000 BTU burners
Blaster 65,000 BTU's, per hour on high
Propane tank (4) 20 pounds fuel each, 428,000 BTU’s each
Stock pots, stainless steel, 1 qt. / 2 qt. / 6 qt. / 8 qt., Skillet with lid 10"
2 Coleman stove top oven
1 - 12" Dutch ovens / lid lifter /stand
2 Griddles 1- 15" x 25" & 1-11" x 21"
2 stove top toasters
Mixing bowl stainless steel
2 gallon coffee thermos
2 - 9" x 2" aluminum cake pans
16 bowls / 16 plates
16 forks / 16 knives / 16 spoons
One each 3" / 6" / 8" blade cutting knives
Measuring cups 1/8 to 1 cup
Measuring spoons 1/8 tsp. to 1 1/2 tbsp.
2 spatulas / 2 serving spoons / 1 slotted serving spoons
1 ladle / 1 Tongs / 1 Rubber scraper
Large cook pot 20 qt.
2 16 qt steaming pots
Veggie peeler
Food scissors
Cork screw
Can opener
Dish water strainer (fine screen)
2 hot pads / 1 pair leather gloves
Tooth picks / matches
Aluminum foil
Paper towels
Zip lock bags sandwich size / Quart / Gallon
Trash Bags
Dish soap / bleach (unscented) / alum
Dish scrapper / sponges / scrub brush / rubber wash gloves
Mesh dish drying hammock
Kitchen timer
Kitchen table 2 foot by 6 foot aluminum
1 roll top table
4 chickie pails
Kitchen ground cloth 10' x 10'
Favorite special spices
Charcoal tongs
12" DO / lid lifter / lid stand
Cutting board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #15
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Good lists.
I'm adding items.

One thought is food covers.
Sometimes you can make pot lids do double duty on a mixing bowl with a salad.
Or buy a mini tent made for keeping flies away. But they have to be weighted.

I like packing 3 of the large stainless mixing bowls that nest together.
They make great food covers for items that are not in pots with lids.

I also acquired some flat lids with spots for serving spoons at restaurant sales.
1 buck apiece. Handy.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #16
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
A few thoughts:
On our trips everyone brings their own coffee cups as well, I have no idea why, as they all end up in my kitchen box each day anyway.

My four burner Partner goes in the kitchen box too, on trips with over 15 people I pack it in a rocket box to free up space for aforementioned coffee cups.

Carry three wash basins (wash, rinse, sanitize) I don not store the basis in my kitchen box because they are always wet in the morning when I am packing it up. My wash basins nest and go into a mesh bag and either go in my drop bag or get lost in my gear hump.

All my cleaning supplies are kept in my handwash bucket which is topped with a gamma seal. It is a five gallon bucket and fits the handwash system, 1 gallon bucket, strainer, hand soap, dish soap, bleach, scrub brush and wet wash cloths/hand towels. I don't like keeping any of this in my kitchen box because after a day in the sun it makes the box a little funky.

I should also add, my Kitchen Box is an Aluminum Dry Box, 38x16x13. No legs, nothing special. I am hoping to upgrade to two 22x16x12 captain's boxes, as the big box is a bear to get off the boat.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #17
Thronton, Colorado
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
... I don not store the basins in my kitchen box because they are always wet in the morning when I am packing it up...
That reminds me, I carry a couple of towels in my dry box, along with a scrubby/sponge. I dry out the basins with the towels before I pack them back into the dry box, and put the wet sponge in a tupperware container withe the dish soap and bleach.

The towels usually dry out pretty quickly the next afternoon when the kitchen box is unpacked again, especially if you alternate days with them.

And I use the wet wipes (napkins next time!) for messy stuff so the towels stay reasonably clean. The kitchen box has never really ended up all that manly from the basins, towels or sponges.

The jelly that exploded in the kitchen box once is another story...
Old 05-08-2014   #18
Crouch, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
You'll figure it out

yeah we used to take all that and more. raft for 25 years and you will start to ditch the dutch ovens, the cake pans, etc. your kitchen box requirements will get sleeker and smaller. search for spoons and ladles with straightish handles and featherweight cutting boards, strainers, etc. galvanized buckets work well to heat your dish water to hot. waterproof rubbery hotpads are the bomb. tape your dinner crew assignments to the inside of the kitchen box and always take some alum to use as a flocculant just in case. keep a small first aid in kitchen box everyone knows its there and sees it everyday. have fun out there, too.
Miss Julie
Foster's Beer makes your ass look smaller
Miss Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #19
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
No one has mentioned serving bowls but I carry a couple large and a couple medium sized ones that other items fit inside so they take up virtually no space. They are really nice to have for the chips or to make room on your cutting board when slicing up a bunch of items.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #20
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
What kind and where did you get it? Been wanting one myself. Found one at a paint store once, but it was HUGE. Would like one that is smaller, enough to hold a days worth of trash. The one I saw was enough for several weeks worth... LOL
We buy these locally at Sportsmans Warehouse. These are the ones. tp://
They make a smaller one as well. Throw a heavy duty garbage bag in there and no more mess. Fold the bag down inside and zip up at night. So far we've not had any critters chew on it to get into the garbage (Main Salmon, MF, Rogue, Deso, San Juan, etc.).

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote