Old 01-09-2013   #31
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

Do you have space for a 3rd vehicle? Keep daily driving the Subys and just keep the Burb for a weekend toy hauler.
Buying a suburban for just weekend is a consideration. But I'm kinda leaning towards having just 2 cars 1 less car to maintain.

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #32
Post Falls, Idaho
Originally Posted by montuckymonkey View Post
2000 - 2003 4x4 7.3 powerstroke Excursion ! On 35's towing my honda big red (1800#'s) and 14ft NRS raft on a U-Hual car dolly(I guess it all at about 5000lb) at 75-80mph I get 23-25mpg...without the trailer you point it push the go pedal and it goes...period. So far the only thing to stop it temporarily was 20 inches of snow...after a few rockings (fed then rev) the studded tires won over the depth that was an issue. Also the TV and built in inverter and plenty of sleeping area are awesome...never thought I'd LOVE my X as much as I do but it is by FAR the best $17,000 vehicle I have ever owned....I will never sell it unless someone comes out with a better diesel SUV or the price of 4x4 diesel vans come WAY down. I thought about a truck then thought again and boy am I glad I did. Stay away from any after 2003 as the 6.0 engine just isn't reliable the 7.3 is all the power you'll need and will run forever if ya take care of it. Mine has 197,000 miles and runs better than it did at 50,000. By far... leaps and bounds even... the best dollar for dollar truck I've ever had. Oh and the 12,000lb towing cap means anything in the 3,000 to 6,500 lb class it doesn't even break a sweat to haul. Go check one out you won't regret it.
I love the big excursions but for the price it would have to be our daily driver and not so sure my wife would dig that.

Old 01-09-2013   #33
Post Falls, Idaho
I really appreciate all the advice, as stated before a third row is mandatory its my wife's only requirement.

We had an 87 suburban in the past but the mileage was very limiting.

I'm thinking something like a mid 2000 year Explorer or a Pilot, I've looked at the Sequoia and Tahoe and bigger fords and it seems that the price goes way up quickly.

I'm comfortable spending 12,000 or so.
Old 01-09-2013   #34
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Buying a suburban for just weekend is a consideration. But I'm kinda leaning towards having just 2 cars 1 less car to maintain.
3 cars isn't all that bad, saving one for the toy rig. Your total mileage/maintenance will be the same (but more registration and insurance) and you'll probably be looking for a 3rd vehicle within XX number of years when those kids get older, right? Getting a 3rd vehicle solved a lot of issues for us, but sometimes it does seem like there is always something even though in theory it's a wash for maintenance.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #35
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
87-91 are the lowest maintanance years for suburbans, because they are fuel injected, and still have a straight axle in the front. Way less maintenance than ifs. Also, it is possible to find them with manual hubs, and a manual trans, and in 3/4 ton versions making for a bulletproof vehicle that will haul 10 people, or 20 4x8 sheets of plywood no problem(with thr seats folded). Also, parts are dirt cheap. The downside is that most of them are ugly, with peeling clearcoat and rust issues. That being said, a cheap paint job and some bedliner can go a long way...
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #36
Post Falls, Idaho
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
For years we avoided a big vehicle and did well with a Volvo V70 wagon - more room than a Subi - and we still cram it full and take it on kayaking trips loaded with up to five people and gear. I haven't towed with it.
A friend of mine has a 2003 xc90 for 7500 with the twin turbo 2.9 which is way cool but when I researched it that particular model has a terrible habit of loosing trannys which is a five grand fix. Too bad I really like the car.
Old 01-09-2013   #37
Post Falls, Idaho
Originally Posted by colorado_steve View Post
as someone that works on car/trucks for a living..... i have never understood why this question pops up so often on the buzz. it would be like me going into the shop and asking the other techs what type of boat to buy...... ***palm to forehead***
Well tell me what your suggestions are I'm interested.
Old 01-09-2013   #38
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I I have been looking at the explorers you can get a better deal on them compared to other SUV I have a friend who has the ninety's version it's going on forever also.

Do you suppose the mid 2000 models would hold up as well they have the third row.
I really don't know much about the mid 2000s Ex.

My sister has one and she is much happier with it than with her Excursion that they had for a while. The Excursion was plagued with all kinds of weird electrical and the dealer couldn't fix. Finally they just gave her a great deal on the Explorer and done.

This website has all kinds of info for Explorers and I don't have much time to look for you now but it might give you some info.

Ford Explorer and Ranger Enthusiast Forums - Serious Explorations

I don't know if the new ones have it but the real deal selling point for me on my Exs is the ability to lay full length sleeping in the back ( at six feet) and the Low Range in the 4wd. Everyone has what they are looking for. And you know yours/your wifes.

I regularly get 19 to 20 mpg too. Sometimes more on a long trip without too many hills. I drive slow and careful and never mash the throttle.

Good luck.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #39
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a Toyota Sienna and I love it for gear/kid hauling. I have driven 5 hours with 4 adults, all our camping/rafting gear and a hardshell kayak INSIDE of the thing and been comfortable.

I have also thrown my 14 ft AIRE in the back, camping/rafting gear for me and 3 kids, the kids and myself inside and my NRS frame strapped to the roof rack for several hour long drives to the river.

I sleep in it instead of a tent and I love not waking up in a puddle when camping. It can sleep two adult comfortablly inside and the back hatch provides a great rain shield when left open.

True- a minivan isn't the icon of cool- but it's probably the most functional thing a river runner could have (aside from a drysuit of course!)
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013   #40
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992

Since no one has commented on the Honda Pilot yet, and you've mentioned it a few times, I'll chime in fwiw. We have a '04 model we've owned since new, and it just turned over 100k trouble free miles. It's done everything we've asked of it, but we've discovered that two rafts on a light trailer is really the most you can expect to tow effectively. It will get up to 20 mpg on the highway and 17 around town rolling free, but that will drop to 12 when towing. The third row seat is ok for kids or short shuttles, but you'll want to keep it to 5 passengers for longer trips. It does great in the snow with studs, and drives more like a car rather than a truck. It's a great all around vehicle, just about an ideal compromise for daily driving as a family hauler, ski car, and occassional trailer-puller for the rafts or tent trailer. That said, I would not call it the ideal rafting vehicle by a long stretch, and it is about as far from "sexy" as you can get this side of a mini van. The best thing is that nothing has ever broke on it and it is paid for. I hope it goes 200k before we have to replace it.

90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote