Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 01-19-2009   #1

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
What does everyone do for raft trailers?

Any leads on nice custom trailers, especially aluminum? Or conversion plans? In short, what is everyone using?

Old 01-19-2009   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If I had a place to store it and an extra $2700, this would be mine.

Gallery Detail View

Old 01-19-2009   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
$600 Hiebco (made in Ignacio) 4x8 with a wood platform on top and a box under that. Works great for my 15' NRS. But the tongue is a little short for my sea kayaks so I had a 2' stinger made.
Old 01-20-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I found a homemade motorcycle trailer on Craigslist for $300. Rewired it, put on new tires and added a removable roller bar on the back:
Old 01-20-2009   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I need to get some of those rollers, like you have El-flaco. I use a 5x10 flatbed with side rails. My trailer has 15" wheels so it can handle rough roads just fine. I run two 2x4 sideways to support the raft on the rails. That leaves me tons of room under the raft for gear. When I am not useing the trailer for rafting, it works great for my motorcycles, construction waste.... Very much an all purpose trailer.
Old 01-20-2009   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I bought a used 7 x 12 utility trailer with about 1 ft side rails and then added a roller across the back and a winch. My 14 ft raft fits nicely between the rails, so tie down is minimal as the only way the raft can move is back. I rig the raft with the cooler and dry box so that at the put in, it's pretty much slide off and go. I have since added 2 elevated, removable side decks with rear rollers that are just wide enough to support the tubes of my 16 ft cat. This allows me to carry both rafts without the weight of the cat on top of the raft.
Old 01-20-2009   #7

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I have a 6x10 (or something like that) with 1ft. side rails, utility trailer that I mounted a couple of old side-mount truck boxes (5' long by 1.5' wide). Glued some carpet to the top of em and my 14' raft fits perfectly with plenty of clearance underneath for coolers, boxes, etc.... Plus the side mount truck boxes are great for little ammo cans, pfds, gear bags, whatever.
Old 01-20-2009   #8

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
I have a 6x10 (or something like that) with 1ft. side rails, utility trailer that I mounted a couple of old side-mount truck boxes (5' long by 1.5' wide). Glued some carpet to the top of em and my 14' raft fits perfectly with plenty of clearance underneath for coolers, boxes, etc.... Plus the side mount truck boxes are great for little ammo cans, pfds, gear bags, whatever.
The side mount truck boxes are a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that before I added my side supports.
Old 01-20-2009   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
I need to get some of those rollers, like you have El-flaco. I use a 5x10 flatbed with side rails. My trailer has 15" wheels so it can handle rough roads just fine. I run two 2x4 sideways to support the raft on the rails. That leaves me tons of room under the raft for gear. When I am not useing the trailer for rafting, it works great for my motorcycles, construction waste.... Very much an all purpose trailer.
I need to build a box for mine- I think I'm going to get my buddy Repa to weld an expanded metal cage, though, so my wet gear can dry. It would be nice to have the cage be removable, so that I can still use it as a utility trailer (and a Snowmobile trailer, when I can finally afford one).

Rollers: when I bought these, they were only $9.99 per. They're still a great deal & well-built at $14:, in my opinion:
Northern Industrial Roller and Bracket Set | Roller Supports | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 01-20-2009   #10

Denver, Colorado
[quote=El Flaco;125012]I need to build a box for mine- I think I'm going to get my buddy Repa to weld an expanded metal cage, though, so my wet gear can dry. It would be nice to have the cage be removable, so that I can still use it as a utility trailer (and a Snowmobile trailer, when I can finally afford one).

We could build the cage in sections with lighter gauge material. In other words, it can be done.

Tags
rafting