What do you use for a captains bag? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2014   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
What do you use for a captains bag?

I am looking for a small duffel type bag with quick access (like a zipper, but not dry bag style). I will be using it as a captains bag to hold essentials like frame tools, extra carabiners, etc. Waterproof would be nice, but doesn't have to be.

Any suggestions?

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
A captain's bag.

From DRE.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #3
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Engel Cooler/Dry Box 19 Quart - Engel - Coolers
Old 08-16-2014   #4

TV, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
I have one of those. I'm sorry I spent any money on it, at all. In my opinion, it is not nearly durable enough for river use.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #5
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
I have to admit I don't own a small Engel Cooler. I have a 124qt that I use as a passenger seat and it's bomber. I have been unhappy using the DRE captains bag cause all my stuff gets wet and was planning to pick a 19qt Engel up to use in it's place. I'll look it over carefully before I buy but the price and size are right.
Old 08-16-2014   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I have had a DRE captains bag for about 4 years and like it. Just bought one from Jan at Stitches N Stuff and it is very well built. I keep that on one side and in it goes things that are ok to get wet. On the other side of my bay I use one of the Engel cooler/drybox. I have the 30qt for one boat and the 13 qt for another. I really like these. I think they are just perfect as captains boxes. I haven't flipped my boat using one so not sure how dry they would be in that situation but they sure work good otherwise. Are easy to get into, have slots for straps and are very reasonably priced. I don't think they would keep ice but I didn't buy it as a cooler. I like that they are a lot more forgiving than metal ammo cans would be ( which I also use but not in my rowers bay).

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #7

I got a 30 qt Engel and a couple weeks ago, during a crowded shuttle, it got turned upside down in my carpeted van. When I discovered it upside down full of melted ice (aka h2o) I assumed my carpet would be soaked.
Carpet was bone dry! I have had problems opening it when I drive from 11k ft to 5k ft. Well built as drybox but a little thin on insulation.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #8
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
I have had a DRE captains bag for about 4 years and like it. Just bought one from Jan at Stitches N Stuff and it is very well built. I keep that on one side and in it goes things that are ok to get wet. On the other side of my bay I use one of the Engel cooler/drybox. I have the 30qt for one boat and the 13 qt for another. I really like these. I think they are just perfect as captains boxes. I haven't flipped my boat using one so not sure how dry they would be in that situation but they sure work good otherwise. Are easy to get into, have slots for straps and are very reasonably priced. I don't think they would keep ice but I didn't buy it as a cooler. I like that they are a lot more forgiving than metal ammo cans would be ( which I also use but not in my rowers bay).

Jim

The DRE bag is well built and would be great if you didn't care if your stuff got wet. I have found that the stuff I want to keep close and handy is stuff I want to keep dry. Maps, GPS, Camera, Snack Items, dry rag to clean my glasses or even a dry top.
Old 08-16-2014   #9

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Can't believe nobody has stated the obvious- small Watershed Chatooga dry bag. Freaking LOVE mine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Two captain's bags from Stitches & Stuff. The older one is cordura, the newer one is mesh. Neither is waterproof. Whatever I put in them is either ok when wet, or goes in small roll top dry bags (small first aid, tools, sunscreen, extra clothes, snacks, etc.) I actually like the individual small dry bags because it keeps the stuff organized and I can find what I need fast. Camera is in a pelican case just to my right, secured to frame for easy access. I prefer not to have anything hard in my rower bay that I might bang a knee or shin on.

Tags
bag