What do you use for a captains bag? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2014   #41

Cave Creek, Arizona
For those of you that have DRE Bags that fell apart, what type of water do you run? Do they fall apart easy. likely to come apart on class lll day trips? Or did they come apart in bigger water on extended trips?

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014   #42

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Mine ripped along a seam. I don't think it had to do with the water I run I just think the UV rays of the sun took a huge toll on it. The material on mine isn't very heavy. The one I recently got from Jan seems heavier.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #43

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
Mine ripped along a seam. I don't think it had to do with the water I run I just think the UV rays of the sun took a huge toll on it. The material on mine isn't very heavy. The one I recently got from Jan seems heavier.

Jim
Did you have it stored in the sun, or just the sun from when you were on the river?
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014   #44

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I was probably careless about its storage. I try to tarp my rafts but they still sit out in the sun more than they should. I really like the DRE bag and it lasted 5 or 6 years of pretty good use. I have other DRE soft stuff and Ironman is right, it is well built. Seems like the sun is the hardest thing on most gear.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #45

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
What about one of these for a soft sided captain's box? I got one for Father's Day two years ago.

Hopper 30 Soft Sided Portable Cooler | YETI Coolers

I have been wracking my brain to find a captain's box/bag solution for my boat. I have an adjustable NRS frame. With the aluminum dry box and the captains boxes, the setup looks so pretty. Originally I wanted aluminum captains boxes but can't think how to fit them in my boat without losing the adjustability of the cockpit size. Lately I was thinking about the DownRiver or Stiches and Stuff captains bags. They are soft and not likely to bang shins or tear dry suits. But they're not water tight. The Hopper is water proof and roomy, and has an attachment point right on each end made to pass a cam strap around a crossbar. I know it's spendy but I already own one. Those aluminum captains boxes were pretty spendy too and they wouldn't keep my lunch and beverage cool. I got the 30 liter but now they have a 40 too. The price for two captains boxes made out of aluminum was quoted as over $700-800.
Maybe I'll go see how the one I have rigs up in a boat.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #46

Nampa, Idaho
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1467774843.073978.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	11905 looks like it will work!
Old 07-05-2016   #47

Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
^^^ looks perfect
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #48
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Paddling Since: 1996
+++ On the Stitches and Stuff bags. I have two on either side of me. Being water proof wasn't a big deal for me as the stuff I put in them is water proof already and there lightweight. On the side, I have a lot of Jan's stuff and it is top shelf.
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #49

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Amazing to think that soft YETI 30 qt retails for $350. I don't think one could stuff a case of beer (and appropriate amount of ice) in there. Ya I know an aluminum box is in the same range, I wonder what the per quart price is on aluminum. Just seems crazy. Nice little container though...
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #50

Nampa, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
Amazing to think that soft YETI 30 qt retails for $350. I don't think one could stuff a case of beer (and appropriate amount of ice) in there. Ya I know an aluminum box is in the same range, I wonder what the per quart price is on aluminum. Just seems crazy. Nice little container though...
The folks at Cascade said that Yeti's volumes are suspect. I think they might use displacement volumes and not container volumes. At any rate, you can stuff That bag pretty good. I was shocked at the price too. I was thinking of getting another one for the other side until I saw the price tag. Ouch.

Tags
bag