What do you use for a captains bag? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-19-2014   #31

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by palidog View Post
I have tried the DRE captain's bag (fell apart). I have tried the rocket box slings (not easy to get in and out of). Right now I am loving the 5 gallon bucket with the gamma lid. It is waterproof, light, and easy to get into.
Bring it back to DRE. They'll stand behind it I bet. I've used their drop bags and had custom work done by their gal and it's held up great!

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014   #32

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
We were at your shop last week. We did look at those and are considering that as an option. We really weren't looking to spend much money on one, but haven't made up our minds. Our buddy just uses a small mesh duffel for his. I was thinking about using one of these small duffel bags Wet Dreams Rig Bag, Wet Dreams River Supply, but I do like the built in straps on your design.
I know this is the case most of the time but whenever deciding on something for my raft I think how it will fare when the raft is being rolled in a big hole. Unless, of course, you don't care about the item but for the most part everything on my raft is important to keep on a trip

Seriously - I make sure everything has the capacity to be strapped securely as really weird things happen when everything is upside down and whitewater is pummeling the inside.
Old 08-19-2014   #33

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I have some nice thick pvc saddle bags made by the barney bag company in Gladstone oregon. They have a thick solid ykk zipper like the large everything bags. I found them used, and have never seen new ones for sale. About the only mod I made was to add weep holes in the bottom so it would drain.

Not sure if they make them custom. Andy and Bax would be the place to call. Very happy with them and my buddy is always trying to steal them from me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014   #34

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
On longer trips I use rocket boxes ratchet strapped to either side custom floor. The floor has raised sections of plywood that the boxes sit on, sized so that the handles are accessible. Cheap, bomb proof, works great, and my shins are fine thank you.

I also use a cascade outfitters side zip bag: Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: Large Zippered Side Bag 24 x 10 These ride on your tube and are nice because the top is splash proof and the bottom is mesh, so stuff stays relatively dry, unless you forget to zip it shut before rowing straight into a huge hole. Not so stoked on it's durability.
catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #35

TV, Idaho
What I would really like to find is a Pelican or "Pelican-like" case that is a top loader that has attachment points that will allow it to be strapped down BUT leave the lid free. Does anyone know of such a product?
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #36

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3mphis View Post
What I would really like to find is a Pelican or "Pelican-like" case that is a top loader that has attachment points that will allow it to be strapped down BUT leave the lid free. Does anyone know of such a product?
Already out there. Do a search for "pelican mod". You just need to drill out the flange on the hinge side. That becomes one attachment point and the hand the other.

Still - for hairy stuff I usually throw a strap over the lid as well. But most of the time I run with it as above.
Old 08-20-2014   #37

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by palidog View Post
I have tried the DRE captain's bag (fell apart). I have tried the rocket box slings (not easy to get in and out of). Right now I am loving the 5 gallon bucket with the gamma lid. It is waterproof, light, and easy to get into.
Yes the Down River Equipment bags are junk like their straps the lengths are all different, and on the bags as well. This is more reliable.

Office Depot Large Mobile File Box, Letter Size, Clear/Burgundy
Old 08-20-2014   #38

TV, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanbldr View Post
Already out there. Do a search for "pelican mod". You just need to drill out the flange on the hinge side. That becomes one attachment point and the hand the other.

Still - for hairy stuff I usually throw a strap over the lid as well. But most of the time I run with it as above.
Thank you very much! I've been thinking about ways to mod my pelican. I didn't want to drill into the case and I wasn't sure I wanted to cut a slot in the "fins" for straps. The rod through the fins looks ideal. Definitely going to use that idea. Thanks again!
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #39

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3mphis View Post
Thank you very much! I've been thinking about ways to mod my pelican. I didn't want to drill into the case and I wasn't sure I wanted to cut a slot in the "fins" for straps. The rod through the fins looks ideal. Definitely going to use that idea. Thanks again!
I think I used a bit beefier rod stock as well. I want to say 1/2" rather than the 3/8". But I was working with longer spans since I use 1500's on my rails for my repair kit and major medical.
Old 08-20-2014   #40

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanji View Post
Yes the Down River Equipment bags are junk like their straps the lengths are all different, and on the bags as well. This is more reliable.

Office Depot Large Mobile File Box, Letter Size, Clear/Burgundy
I think that's comparing apples to oranges. One is a captains bag that straps into the frame intended specifically for rafting - the other is a file cabinet

But seriously, I as well and MANY others I know have beaten the piss out of our DR softgoods. It holds up just as well as the other stuff (SnS, Pacific, etc). As with all of this stuff the river can be really hard on things - especially something that is constantly used like a captains bag.

That being said - I've always had good luck with DR standing behind their gear. I'd say talk to them. They also want to hear how things are doing in the field so your feedback would probably be very welcome.

Tags
bag