What do you use for a captains bag? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-17-2014   #21

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
The small Engels may be ok as dry boxes but aren't worth much for keeping ice. I bought one b/c of good luck with the NRS (Engel) 175 qt performance, which I'm very happy with. I was hoping to use it as a small drink cooler, and stay out of the big cooler during the day. Ice lasted about 6 hours, even with already cold beers/drinks. I may give it another shot as a small dry box on my cat.

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014   #22

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I had a bag made that allows me to strap in my engel 19qt cooler AND has a zipper area like a traditional captains bag. Think along the lines of a ammo can sling with a captains bag sewn to it but smaller.

Absolutely love the setup. I've had my Engel down a bunch of rivers including the Grand and it's held up really well. Both the sling part that holds the cooler and the bottom of the bag part have mesh on the bottom to aid in draining.

And I've flipped with the engel and it's been water tight.
Old 08-17-2014   #23

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Oh - I forgot to mention. If I was going to do it all again and money wasn't an object.

I'd replace the above setup with a second captains box which is split down the middle (fore and aft) and has double walls w/insulation on one side and can act as a cooler and is just a dry box on the other side. I use my engel quite a bit for keeping our lunches cool and ice for bringing up to camp to make drinks.
Old 08-17-2014   #24

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
I too use Captains bags from Stitches n Stuff. love em
Meichorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #25

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
We have a design that we think makes a great captains bag. It is made of PVC and has a mesh bottom covered by a piece of 1/4" poly to protect the mesh and to provide a rigid draining floor. The zipper is covered by the PVC. This makes it a great splashproof but not waterproof bag. We have not had any problems with sewing a strap only on the top of this thick PVC. We can custom fabricate a bag with a strap all the way around the bag or special sizes if desired. We have these bags in stock and ready to ship anywhere in the country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captains Bag 001.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	8841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captains Bag RBW.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	8843  

Old 08-18-2014   #26

Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I've been using two of these Stanley tool boxes in my captains bay since last year with good results. No leaks, sturdy, and affordable...
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #27

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i use a small NRS clear dry bag and strap it to the frame next to my seat. i like it because i can see what i need and where it is located for relatively quick access. drybags typicall aren't quick access, but if you need it that quickly, then you're probably not keeping it in a bag, box, cooler, etc., in the first place.
Old 08-18-2014   #28

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I have tried the DRE captain's bag (fell apart). I have tried the rocket box slings (not easy to get in and out of). Right now I am loving the 5 gallon bucket with the gamma lid. It is waterproof, light, and easy to get into.
Old 08-18-2014   #29

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ortlieb is the Sh!t
climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #30

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Works View Post
We have a design that we think makes a great captains bag. It is made of PVC and has a mesh bottom covered by a piece of 1/4" poly to protect the mesh and to provide a rigid draining floor. The zipper is covered by the PVC. This makes it a great splashproof but not waterproof bag. We have not had any problems with sewing a strap only on the top of this thick PVC. We can custom fabricate a bag with a strap all the way around the bag or special sizes if desired. We have these bags in stock and ready to ship anywhere in the country.
We were at your shop last week. We did look at those and are considering that as an option. We really weren't looking to spend much money on one, but haven't made up our minds. Our buddy just uses a small mesh duffel for his. I was thinking about using one of these small duffel bags Wet Dreams Rig Bag, Wet Dreams River Supply, but I do like the built in straps on your design.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag