What do you use for a captains bag? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2014   #11
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Can't believe nobody has stated the obvious- small Watershed Chatooga dry bag. Freaking LOVE mine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Just looked them up at Dry Bags: Chattooga and they cost about twice what the Engel would. They look exceptionally well built and very water proof. Seem like they would be a little slower to get into and out of.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014   #12

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I've seen a few people use a rocket box sling with a box on each side of the bay, or captains boxes. I like the idea of a bag lighter and softer but waterproof is a must so I've been using smaller dry/day bag.
Old 08-16-2014   #13
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rocket boxes are too large and heavy. They are very hard to open in the sling. They don't make good captain's boxes.
Old 08-16-2014   #14

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
ortleib makes a couple of waterproof duffles with what are basically drysuit zippers -- so no rolling and unrolling. I got one from theboatpeople (who advertise here). Works great for me. Not cheap though.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #15

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I have the Engel as well- check out the Watershed if you truly want something waterproof.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #16

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I realize that my captains bag isn't waterproof but I still find it handy. My camera goes in a small pelican case that I leave open until rapids. That goes in there. My sunscreen, binocs, my waterproof speaker and phone(music), snacks which are in plastic bags all go in there. The items that can't get wet go in the Engel. I like having two options as I don't need to pack things on top of each other to fit in one. This makes finding items easier.
This system works well for me.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #17

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I am not sold on how dre mounts the straps to the top of their captains bag. The AAA mesh bag seems more secure. The straps of the AAA are sewn all the way around the bag. DRE's are only stitched to the top. AAA's top zips around 3 sides of the top. DRE is a zipper down the middle on top of the bag.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014   #18

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Link to that Ortleib dry zip bag.
Ortlieb Travel-Zip Zippered Duffle Drybag
Because my raft is narrow, I have been putting this bag crosswise in front to my drybox (rowing from the box). Very easy to reach down and unzip for jacket, sandwich, gloves, whatever. I put 1 inch straps on the side rails and 'biner the d-rings at each end of the zipper to those straps -- keeps the bag taught for easier zipping and unzipping. More and sturdier d rings would be ideal.
I also use this as a bow bag in a duckie on a Yampa trip -- worked great -- even upside down!
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014   #19

Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
Rocket Box or Pelican

I've had good luck with my Pelican 1430 - top loader. You can find them on sale - I use mine for exactly what you describe plus waterproof for wallet, keys, phone etc. I just use straps and attach it to frame - easy access.

20mm Rocket Box is also a good choice - get the "sling" from DRE.
Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014   #20
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I recently set up a Maravia New Wave 3 (14.5ft). Originally it had the DRE Rocket Box Slings with said boxes. They are big, heavy and metal right next to knees. I got a Watershed Largo Tote for use on one side (dry stuff) and a Seattle Sports Frost Pack for the other side. I had a buddy bar tack strap material and Ankra buckles to the side handles (so it hangs like a DRE Captains bag from the cross bars).

On my Super Puma, I use the Aire / Outcast XL Splashproof Pocket and weave the outside straps through the floor lacing. This bag can hold 2 5.56mm ammo cans and other various stuff. I also mounted some ammo cans to custom cut piece of 3/8 poly carbonate material that fits next to my cooler / rowing seat. I used 1/2 bolts and rubber washers to attach the ammo cans to the material. A strap secures this to the frame. I can open and close the cans without having to undo a strap. It is like having 3 glove compartments on the boat. Big one on left is family box, Medium one on right is soap, sunscreen, knife, cutting board, frame tool, pump lube, etc. Small box on right is my personal box. I'll post pictures later.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag