Old 06-10-2014   #1
Cave Creek, Arizona
What do owners think of Rocky Mountain Rafts?

If you own a Rocky mountain raft or have put good river miles on one, what do you think of them? Also if you have time in both Rocky Mountain and Tributary rafts how would you compare the two?

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #2
Meridian, Idaho
I demod both a 13' Trib and a 14' RMR back to back on the same stretch. I got a better deal on a 13' Trib and I live right down the road from the Aire factory so I went that way. Had I not got such a good deal on the Tributary I would be rowing a RMR. The Trib tracked and turned a little better but is a smaller boat with diminishing tubes and a lot more rise in the bow and stern so not a direct comparison. The difference in weight is considerable. Rolled up I was able to carry the trib on my own, the RMR was much heavier and bulkier. I could not just pick it up and carry it like I could the Trib. In the area of new boats the value of RMR is very difficult to beat. I think as they catch on the price will rise.

Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #3
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Lol , poverty rafts. They both suck.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #4
Cave Creek, Arizona
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Lol , poverty rafts. They both suck.
Do they really "suck"? or are they just not as good as the higher dollar rafts? I don't expect them to have everything for that price, but if they can hold up without falling apart or getting a bunch of pinholes, thats good to me. I am young and don't have the cash flow to spend the big bucks on a raft. My truck only cost $3,000.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Check out this thread.
Any news on RMR?

I know 3 or 4 people who own these boats, and I've run one commercially. The thwart design sucks. They're nothing special, but they hold up and are reasonably well constructed. The people I know that own them put a decent number of miles on them and haven't had any problems (one guy did have I-beams blow out in the floor but RMR warrantied it and sent him a new floor).

Overall I think they're fine - nothing special but you can't ignore the price point. My uncle owns two of them and he gets at-cost boats from Aire, NRS, Sotar and RMR... he keeps them around to let friends and family run and beat up. So far I don't think either of those boats has a patch... and they've been hammered on.
trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have a set of RMR cat tubes. So far no issues. I disagree that RMRs are "poverty rafts" with the welded seams and leafield valves.

I own a couple of Trib IKs that have seen alot of use and abuse and they both are holding up very well.

You won't get the life out of them like an Avon, but they are decent for the money
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #7
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I did a serious comparison to another PVC boat, a Vanguard, and the RMR keeps the price down by giving up lots of things. My Vg has fullwrap floor, bigger tubes, heavier floor, total upper and lower tube heavy wear strip, heavy steel handles, additional thwart, etc. So while the basic material is the same, you get a lot for the additional $1,000 on the Vg. Also, the rmr pvc is welded, not glued, and over time the welds can develop micro-fractures. It's a lower tier boat, but will probably hold air and last 5-10 years, depending on how it's treated. Storage out of the sun will help a lot, PVC boats don't do well stored on a trailer and left exposed all the time, including my Vg. Paradoxically, rolling it is going to increase the micro-fracture problem.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #8
Montrose, Colorado
As a previous owner, I can say they are good boats and a great value. They are very tough, but the toughness comes at the price of weight. Features are good, and the only times most people would be able to know the difference between a RMR and a high dollar boat is when carrying it on land or when carrying a lot of gear. For most typical use on the water they are bomber. That extra weight can be nice when punching waves.
Mine was stored out of the sun as it seemed to me the PVC would not handle the sun well. Other boats would fade where it seemed the PVC might break down - just a guess as I don't know.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #9
albuquerque, New Mexico
I bought a blemish 14ft RMR this season, and while I've only had it on the water a total of five days so far, I am super impressed. The build quality seems fine, and the boat tracks and moves around as good as anything I remember rowing. The RMR customer service is really great so far as well.

I think most of the detractors who would say this is a "poverty boat" are just bourgeoisie yuppie assholes who live in CO and have more money than they know what to do with to spend on their toys. Same overweight dipshits who ride $5k carbon fiber road bikes and scoff at my $100 1972 steel track frame (while I pass them on the trail). I, for one, am glad RMR has reached a price point REGULAR people might be able to afford, and with pretty quality boats that should last a very long time. I don't think rivers should exclusively be the playground of the rich and privileged, but that's just my opinion.
bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
I have a 14' RMR, and I like it.

I've taken it down the Grand and Deso/Grey as well as a couple of shorter trips without any trouble. Like someone else said, it's heavy and doesn't pack up small. I haven't had any problems with durability though.

scannon is offline   Reply With Quote