Old 06-11-2014   #21
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
wasn't the best pro deal, but it was great for that boat at the time..
so on topic, i've got a trib ducky that is a great boat, but their rafts are a little lacking compared to an rmr. my duck has some creases already, even being stored inflated most of the time. for a ducky no worries i guess. i've only been on an rmr raft twice, but they seem awesome. good seams and really durable feeling material, for pvc. like everyone else said already, for the price it's probably the best boat out there. personally i'd never buy a pvc raft tho..
in the end all that matters is getting something adequate that gets you on the river. enjoy the water while it lasts. just don't buy a saturn or you'll get exiled from the buzz!!

...and rest assured, a $350 car don't run too well right away!!
good luck man

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #22
bozeman, Montana
My 2012 14.5 rmr poverty raft has roughly 60+ days on the water all over the northwest and has been great. My opinion is that it tracks better than my pals nrs, plows through whitewater just peachy and is tough as shit,(let my buddy row for 5 minutes and he procided to tomahawk boat into sharpest death-rock ever, boat was fine.) Yea, it's a wall Mart whale in flat water but whose in a hurry to get back to their truck? Well, maybe bucketboater needs to get to his beautiful, sparkely,untouched and covered sotar. Cute teva's bud.

patrick l is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Originally Posted by bigscottone View Post
I bought a blemish 14ft RMR this season, and while I've only had it on the water a total of five days so far, I am super impressed. The build quality seems fine, and the boat tracks and moves around as good as anything I remember rowing. The RMR customer service is really great so far as well.

I think most of the detractors who would say this is a "poverty boat" are just bourgeoisie yuppie assholes who live in CO and have more money than they know what to do with to spend on their toys. Same overweight dipshits who ride $5k carbon fiber road bikes and scoff at my $100 1972 steel track frame (while I pass them on the trail). I, for one, am glad RMR has reached a price point REGULAR people might be able to afford, and with pretty quality boats that should last a very long time. I don't think rivers should exclusively be the playground of the rich and privileged, but that's just my opinion.
It appears to me that that the assholes from CO are standing up for the RMR boats as much or more than any other people. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #24
albuquerque, New Mexico
i didn't say everyone from CO was an asshole!
bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #25
Surrey, British Columbia
Paddling Since: 2013
Rocky Mountain Raft Owner

I take a bit of exception to the one poster claiming a RMR is a poverty raft. I have a lot of great equipment such as a brand new KTM six day and CRF450 R motocross bike. Have owned high end ski boats etc.

I could have spent 10 grand on a raft and not sweated it one bit. For me value is everything which is why I can afford what I have.

I wanted to try rafting having gone on guided tours and wanted the thrill of doing it ourselves. So I researched rafts and decided that RMR gave me a 14' raft that me and 4 to 6 buddies could easily handle and do class 3 and 4 rapids.

The craft has been absolutely stellar. We've gone over lots of rocks and shallow rocky sections and the raft has stood up extremely well. It handles well and looks brand new after a year of use (10 times out).

I will agree it doesn't roll up extremely easy, but then i've never rolled up any other raft so that opinion is limited. I don't know if its heavy but my girlfriend and I regular roll it up and load it in and out of the back of my truck. (She is 5' 2" and weighs 115 lbs but is VERY fit and strong). Basically two guys in shape can move it around farily easily.

For the money i believe it is a great way to get into the sport and if after five years of rafting if you love the sport so much you have to have the absolute best then i'm sure you could sell it for a decent price and buy something that may or may not give you bragging rights.

To me it's like golf and ski equipment though. I've spent a lot of money on the best, cutting edge stuff, and find it really doesn't make much of a difference. There are always guys looking to have the tiniest edge, but talent wins every time.

Support from RMR is excellent also. Dennis is very helpful, returns calls, and very much cares about taking care of customers.
lderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #26
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Plecoptera View Post
I did a serious comparison to another PVC boat, a Vanguard, and the RMR keeps the price down by giving up lots of things. My Vg has fullwrap floor, bigger tubes, heavier floor, total upper and lower tube heavy wear strip, heavy steel handles, additional thwart, etc. So while the basic material is the same, you get a lot for the additional $1,000 on the Vg. Also, the rmr pvc is welded, not glued, and over time the welds can develop micro-fractures. It's a lower tier boat, but will probably hold air and last 5-10 years, depending on how it's treated. Storage out of the sun will help a lot, PVC boats don't do well stored on a trailer and left exposed all the time, including my Vg. Paradoxically, rolling it is going to increase the micro-fracture problem.
So you are here giving an opinion on a boat that you looked at but haven't used and still calling it a lower tier boat and talking about micro-fractures from welding and rolling........which I have never heard about. I have rolled my Maravia for almost 20 years and it doesn't have micro-fractures.
So no offense but I am calling BS on this one.

Do you have any solid knowledge of these issues or just supposition?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #27
Surrey, British Columbia
Rocky Mountain Raft Owner

My apologies to Denny at Rocky Mountain Rafts. I referred to him as Dennis.

I just wanted to add that the reason for my post was because of the great information I recieved from the members of that helped me, make for me, a good decision.

I wanted to be able to give someone the same help I recieved.

So thank you to the members of Mountainbuzz who have endeavoured to post objective, constructive opinions.
lderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014   #28
Helena, Montana
I own a Saturn. I love it. I may own a poverty raft, but I least I'm not snob enough to denigrate others that I probably no nothing about. Since poverty is a bad thing, I would guess that makes me the slimer, instead of the poster that elevates himself to the exalted status. All hail, I guess.
daledevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014   #29
missoula, Montana
I know the RMR's fold bulky because the PVC , but does anyone know approx. how big a 13 footer will be folded? Getting real close to buying one but want to make sure it will fit folded into a mid-to-large size SUV rear -- can't afford a trailor yet...
Nz61hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014   #30
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
its funny that everybody is bashing PVC in rafts, but all the Aire rafts and Cats are made up of 90% pvc then the thin urethane bladder zipped inside. Get a trib and its a PVC bladder inside that PVC shell. Also find it funny that a dude named bucketboater is ripping on self bailing boats. (okay, maybe its just a name) but heck at least inflatable steve is getting out there and having fun. bucketboater reminds me of those d-bags in high school that would rip on kids for what shoes they wore, or that they didn't have the same color ball cap as somebody else.

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote