What did you wish you have in your repair kit? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2016   #1

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
What did you wish you have in your repair kit?

I am putting together a big repair kit for multiday rowing trips, and have an assortment of tapes, epoxy, cable ties, buckles, and other assorted goodies, but I am trying to sort out what tools to bring too, I have a leatherman supertool in the kit, and an NRS 1/2 inch wrench for the frame. Now I am pondering what other tools should I grab, without it getting to crazy big. Also, I am wondering what you wish you had, so I am not feeling the same thing. From a thread in 2010 I learned about pressure relief valve plugs, and I am definitely ordering one of those up.

jerseyjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Extra pump adapter incase one is lost, extra U-bolt, split ring.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Vice grips, mallet, another roll of duct tape.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016   #4
Gary F

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
As cool as a leatherman is, and I carry one in my emergency hiking pack, it is a poor excuse for real tools if you actually need them. I have big, medium, to real small (for glasses) slot screwdrivers, #0, 1, and #2 phillips, 1 medium crescent wrench, vise grips, channel locks...I take one bigger and one smaller. an awl for punching a hole in a bucket after the handle blows out on the river. After awhile my buckets have holes in the sides by the top with webbing as the handles. I also have a hacksaw. Though it is not in my toolbox, I have a bow saw that I keep in my firepan kit. I have "the hammer of Thor" as a beer can smasher. I welded a round thick plate a little bigger than a beer can on one side. The other side I left regular...so it is a 5 pound mallet that I use to drive in a sand spike. Have you known anyone to break an oar tower? Have a couple of "J" shaped coat hooks. We put one over and one under and used a bunch of duct tape to tape the long ends down on the support tube.. It lasted all the way down the salt as it broke at put in..luckily. I am trying to think how you would fix an NRS oar lock stand...hmmmm. Also, bring teflon tape rated for gas and different fittings for different propane tank configurations, and hoses.
Look at your gear from groover to camp stove and think how you would fix any of it out on the river. No matter who I go with I bring "my" tool box. You don't know if other parties look over their gear before the trip. I have literally fixed everything from stoves, to tents, glasses, frames, everything you see on a river trip pretty much, while on a river trip. It all fits easily in a couple of ammo cans, the big, wide 50 cal and the regular 50 cal ammo cans. I guess one day I'll try to figure out if i can find a perfect size water proof can for it all. I could just use a 20mm rocket box i suppose. I know I am forgetting "what else" but this kind of thing is always a work in progress. Back in the day when groover actually put grooves in your rear, AND before cool climbing pulleys, we brought comalongs....
kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #5

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This all fits in a pelican case on my rail. I've added a few things to the kit over the years (folding pruning saw, two part epoxy, etc) and I'm sure I've missed a few things that have been added.

I have never, no matter how long or short, had a river trip where I haven't needed items out of my repair kit multiple times - for me and for others.

As pointed out above - you need to decide what spare items you need to bring that would be difficult to repair (regulators, certain fittings, etc)

Super glue (regular & gel)
Bailing wire (regular and heavy gauge)
Small white vinyl tape
Cable ties (variety)
Sandpaper
PVC Glue & Prep
K-pump service kit
Bimini slider & hardware
AIRE patch material (tube & floor)
Calculator
PVC repair tape
3x nitrile gloves
Small screwdriver set
Tear-aid
Aquaseal w/cotol-240
E6000 adhesive/sealant
Goop multipurpose
Jb waterweld
Sil-glyde (silicone lubricant)
All weather notebook
C7 valve
Rasping tool
Duct tape
Gorilla tape
Floor valve
Magnetic pickup
Spare batteries (AA, AAA)

CONTAINER (A)

Fastex clips
Barrel connectors
Spare bolts for frame
Zipper pulls

CONTAINER (B)
Hinge pins
Hose clamps
Spare butterfly for cooler (2)
Washers
Set screws
Safety pins
Zipper sliders (AIRE)
Spare hex keys
Snap pins
Split rings
Spare table screws & connectors

TRIPLE CONTAINER
Machine screws
Wood screws
Washers
Nuts

TOOL AREA
Winchester multi tool
Needle nose pliers
Dikes
Full set of hex keys (SAE)
Multi screwdriver
Tooth brush
Hacksaw blades
Teflon tape
9/16 & open end wrenches
Vice grips
Awl
Flux brush
3/16th t-handle hex key
Tape measure razor blades
Oar-lock w/nut & ring
Sharpie
Hacksaw
Old 07-07-2016   #6

Paddling Since: 1994
If you are only going to have one of any tool make sure you have a floatie to attach to it while in use.
Old 07-07-2016   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
If you are only going to have one of any tool make sure you have a floatie to attach to it while in use.
+1

Especially tools you might use while floating, like a socket wrench or a flat-head screwdriver. After dropping my socket wrench in the water, in the middle of a week-long trip, I now keep scrap pieces of foam permanently tied to these 2 tools.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post

That is much smarter than my, "Don't throw it to me!" plea.

I will be even smarter when Read and Run explains why he brings a calculator. 🤔
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #9

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
The hacksaw is a head slapper... as in duh, I should have that in my kit. I am going to bring a few extra blades too, one odd item that rides with me is a Silky PocketBoy saw, it folds up and cuts wood and plastic like nothing I have ever seen before.
I did add some fiberfix tape too, (water activated resin) I figure it could not hurt. I love my leatherman, but I think full size adult tools are a good call as well. Especially when cutting metal. I have a set of Kleins that will cut through most screws.
jerseyjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #10

Commerce/the Junc, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
That is much smarter than my, "Don't throw it to me!" plea.

I will be even smarter when Read and Run explains why he brings a calculator. 🤔

Calculator... My question exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SigNewt is offline   Reply With Quote