Old 08-06-2015   #11
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Try They have all kinds of stuff. I have both wetsuit and drysuit. If you're cold water stuff is going to be very infrequent (once a year at most), a drysuit is a pretty steep investment. About 6-8 times the cost of a wetsuit. I did Royal Gorge last year in November in a wetsuit, took a swim and was fine. It's a thick, full body wetsuit though, not a thin wetsuit from Dicks.

If you are going to get a drysuit, NRS has done a black Friday sale before that steeply discounts their drysuits, if you can wait that long.

denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #12
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Check out Sharkskin. It's splashproof, chill proof, and wind proof. It dries fast and is comfortable. They sell tops, pants, shorts, and suits. Great product.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #13
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I IK a lot, and here in Boise, start my season in late Feb to early Mar. and paddle to late oct early nov (on the payette) I wear a stohlquist farmer john, with a 1.5 neoprene top under splash gear, I usually stay mostly dry in my IK with this setup and the wetsuit does its job when I swim. having the splash gear to break the wind after a swim allows the wetsuit to continue to do its job. I do have plans to purchase a dry suit, but so far it hasnt come down to something i absolutely HAVE to do. but I think I'd like to for the future.
"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #14
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I'm pretty new to the world of whitewater but grew up surfing in New Jersey, I recently started paddle boarding and I've been wearing a 4/3 and if its hot I just pull it down to my waist. But I've surfed 38 degree water in it and was fine for at lest an hour. Id say anything thinner than a 3/2 will be cold. Any surf company all make nice flexible suites especially in the arms for paddling so there is still a lot of movement.
jfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #15
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I just purchased a 2 mil NRS farmer john wetsuit early this season. I bought it because I can't drop the coin on a full dry suit yet but wanted some protection in a swim for early season and cold water trips. I have worn plenty of borrowed 3mm farmer john suits in the past. I will say that if I was planning on paddle rafting or IK/kayaking in cold weather and/or cold water I would have ordered a 3mm suit. I chose a 2 mil suit because I now mostly oar raft. 2 mil seems to be a good balance for oar rafting. You can tolerate a cold water swim, but you are still comfortable all day in moderate outdoor temperatures without overheating and sweating yourself crazy. I just treat the 2 mil farmer John as my base layer, and wear fleece and splash gear or rain gear over the top as needed to stay comfortable throughout the day. For what I do I want to be comfortable for the 95% of the time I'll be out of the water while wearing a wet suit. Too warm of a suit and you may not put it on when the water temps are cold, but the air temps are too warm for a thicker suit. Just one guy's opinion and experience.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015   #16
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I have owned the 3/2mm Radiant by NRS, and it was amazingly warm and would buy again if my body was shaped like an elite athlete. Also owned a Farmer John which was great and did not heat me up too much, but once again just did not fit my body right. Grizzly John would have worked for my gut. I prefer drysuits, they cost more but are comfy and if you have the right layered material under, they don't get to hot and wick moisture well. I am going to go with a custom Kokatat next season, pricey but worth it.

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote