Old 05-26-2009   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Well Designed Raft Trailer

I need to put together a raft trailer. I haven't seen anything off the shelf that I particularly like the look of (or the price of), but I figure it should be fairly easy to customize a utility trailer. What I'm trying to end up with is a little extra storage under the boat deck, but not wind up with something too high. I saw a rig like this on the way back from Westwater last fall and should have snapped a photo. Anyone got suggestions for how to put something together? What length utility trailer to buy? How to engineer the deck? How to mount a winch? Or just some photos of your sweet rig would be helpful Thanks for any ideas. Cheers, Nick

Nickdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #2
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
the guys that owned my raft before me bought one of these trailers, put a floor and 8" walls on it, and then put a deck on top of those walls. they put a door on the back. the raft sits on the deck. oars, blades, pfd's, boat bag, etc., go in the space between the deck and trailer frame. it's pretty handy. i thought i'd modify it to make the walls about 20" so that i could haul the cooler, drybox, etc., under the raft to keep the truck bed free. not gonna do that.

the trailer isn't super heavy duty, but that's not its intended purpose. it's light, is super easy to back up to the ramp, and serves its intended purpose well.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #3
I have always liked the raft plus trailer from all american trailers of Denver.

Gallery Detail View

Though it is a little pricey @ $2600

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #4
San Juan Islands, Washington
I've been pretty happy with the design of my trailer so far, I think the only thing I would add to it is a set of rollers and a winch although I think I might never use them. My trailer is built from a Snomobile/utility trailer with a tilt deck. the deck was removed and a 8'x6'x17" box was built in it's place, the 10'x8' deck was then replaced with hinges on the right side and gas struts to assist in lifting it and holding it open. there's a box on the tongue that supports the boat in front and adds some tongue weight. the deck may seem short at 10' but there's enough kick in the raft and the floor is fully supported. The trailer will still tilt to help loading a boat from the rear if I ever install a winch/roller set up.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Don't have any pics of mine......but I took a couple old side-mount truck boxes (1.5' wide, 6' long, 12" deep) and mounted them to the side rails of my 6'x12' utility. Works GREAT. The side boxes are nice for small stuff (paddles, small ammo's, etc....), the raft rides about 2.5'-3' above the trailer floor so I have plenty of room underneath for coolers/boxes, anything.

I bet you could fine some old side-mount truck boxes at a junk yard, throw some cheap carpet on top of em, and mount them to just about any trailer.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Tomrefried, Is that a 16' raft in the pic?

Anyone, for a 16' raft, what's the recommended deck size?

Some great ideas here. Thanks a lot y'all.
Nickdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #7
Niwot, Colorado
I'm also in the process of putting together a trailer. I was going to take a utility trailer and have side rail sleeves welded on that rails could be pinned into but could be taken off when not in use (like in a couple of the pictures). At the moment funds are short so I'm going to use wood across the rails to tie down my raft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raft trailer 1.JPG
Views:	1623
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raft trailer 2.JPG
Views:	3906
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1500  

Name:	Raft trailer 3.JPG
Views:	3512
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raft trailer 4.JPG
Views:	1540
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1502  

Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #8
Fort Fun, Colorado
Here is picture of my rig on the way to the Yampa this spring.
I have the height set so that I can fit all of my gear under the boat including cooler and drybox.
The raised box is 6' X 8'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yampa Canyon 4-22-09 006.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	1503  
danadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #9
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995

Im getting one like this. It will be around $1600 total. Im also planning on hauling the raft rigged up too.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #10
I have a 16' dual axle trailer with a wood floor. when I use it for rafting I have four wood boxes I attach to the trailer floor. two boxes are longer 7' two are shorter 4' all are 24" high and 24" wide. the lids on the boxes are wood. the boxes have no floor they use the trailer floor. all is 1/2 inch plywood with 2x4 inside framing. the boxes go on each corner of the trailer. the longer ones in the rear have rollers. coolers and dryboxes fit between the boxes and are accessable after the inflated raft(s) are loaded on top of the boxes. all lose gear easily goes into the boxes for transport. when the trip is over, the boxes unbolt from the trailer. if you want further detail let me know. Mike

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote