Old 04-08-2014   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Water Jug Air Hole Issues

Hey has anyone sealed off the rear air hole a lot of water jugs have on them? My jugs have a little white plastic stopper on top of them to help let air in as you pour out water, but I always fear that popping open on a trip and either loosing water or getting river water in with the clean water. Thinking about melting the white plastic plug to seal off the hole, not sure if it will be solid though.

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe cover the hole in epoxy? Try to melt the plastic together like how you weld a broken kayak, but maybe that would make that area brittle and prone to breaking. Just put tape over it?

I know the best solution is to buy nicer jugs, but I already have these and they fit nicely on my setup.

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #2
SLC, Utwah
Just duct tape it shut during transport. Worked for years for me until I upgraded.

AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #3
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
yeah I always have my jugs up right but Ive seen people use duct tape. If you seal it off you"ll have a hard time pouring the water out.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #4
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I pulled the little white thing off, drilled the hole out a little bigger and installed a threaded bolt with rubber washer. Works great. Don't overtighten it, I haven't stripped one yet. I still try to store them upright
ahogenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I used to lose those stupid white plugs constantly. When I put the filled jug upright into my frame, the pressure on the sides of the jug would jettison them into space. I have a friend who just stuck screws into the vent holes. They still work, but are slow to pour from. Now I use the scepter jugs with the attached air vents. You twist them up for use and down for transport.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #6
Jenks, Oklahoma
another vote for scepter jugs.

I fought most all the issues mentioned till I got scepter jugs.

If it was not the air hole, pour sprout, that little lid thingie or most often either a crack or a friction hole leaking water.

Since going to the scepter jugs no problems. I have a bud who has a mini self bailer raft and he screws down his scepter jug and places it flat under the rower's seat. Also seen this done on bigger rafts but on the little side platforms on double rail frames.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #7
C. Springs, Colorado
If your going to melt it together, try P-tex. When I fill mine, I use the duct tape method. Works great and is a good indicator as to which jugs have been used or not.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #8
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Duct tape always worked fine for us when we used those. Just upgraded for the new season.....

Here's a cheap source of Sceptre style jugs, ($25.99). Buy two and get free shipping.

7240000893827 Skilcraft Water Can, Desert Tan - 5 gal -
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #9
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Who you call an "Air Hole" Buddy?
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014   #10
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
I like the 2.5 gallon collapsible jugs. Not only the weight factor but the jug goes away when the water is gone.

daledevon is offline   Reply With Quote